Solo getaway in November or December, trying to decide where

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife has offered to send me off for a golf getaway for my birthday this year.

I live in Sarasota so it's coming into prime golf season and there are plenty of options down this way, but my gut tells me to get away and play somewhere I wouldn't normally have the chance to play.

I'd be looking for a place with on site lodging, multiple courses, and within a couple hours drive from an airport.

My problem is that the places I'd really want to go, it's either out of season or just too difficult to travel to (Bandon, Monterey are the two ideal locales) within a 3-4 day window.

I've looked around for places in Texas, gulf coast area, some others, just haven't found one that sticks for one reason or another.

Lately I've been thinking about Streamsong more, even though it's close so I "could" play it whenever I wanted, even though I haven't. They have pretty appealing "holiday" rates from mid November through December, so it would definitely be cheaper, not counting that it's a 45 minute or hour drive so no flight necessary. For those who have been, is Streamsong a place I would definitely consider if it weren't so accessible already? I feel like I'd be cheating myself out of a chance to play somewhere else when I could just come back to Streamsong and play for cheap in the summer.

Any other places I should consider? Weather is not a primary concern, as long as the place is open, I don't care about cold/rain etc.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look at something in New Mexico. The courses I have seen look fantastic.

I would look at something in New Mexico. The courses I have seen look fantastic.

Should have mentioned, we travel to Phoenix often and we have a Vegas trip in March so I'm kind of ruling out the desert scene for this one.

Myrtle beach SC

Funny, I was just looking at that option. Pretty good value for sure, not peak season either. I might be interested in that.

If I lived in Florida and was looking to golf outside the state that time of year I'd target Mobile to Gulfport area, maybe up into Mississippi and try dancing rabbit. Pinehurst area might not be bad if you get a good weekend.

My wife has offered to send me off for a golf getaway for my birthday this year.

I live in Sarasota so it's coming into prime golf season and there are plenty of options down this way, but my gut tells me to get away and play somewhere I wouldn't normally have the chance to play.

I'd be looking for a place with on site lodging, multiple courses, and within a couple hours drive from an airport.

My problem is that the places I'd really want to go, it's either out of season or just too difficult to travel to (Bandon, Monterey are the two ideal locales) within a 3-4 day window.

I've looked around for places in Texas, gulf coast area, some others, just haven't found one that sticks for one reason or another.

Lately I've been thinking about Streamsong more, even though it's close so I "could" play it whenever I wanted, even though I haven't. They have pretty appealing "holiday" rates from mid November through December, so it would definitely be cheaper, not counting that it's a 45 minute or hour drive so no flight necessary. For those who have been, is Streamsong a place I would definitely consider if it weren't so accessible already? I feel like I'd be cheating myself out of a chance to play somewhere else when I could just come back to Streamsong and play for cheap in the summer.

Any other places I should consider? Weather is not a primary concern, as long as the place is open, I don't care about cold/rain etc.

Thanks in advance!

Great stuff in Biloxi!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I agree that North Myrtle Beach is a godd option or consider the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. Stay at Ross Bridge near Birmingham and you have many courses within a quick drive

Play Streamsong in the summer when you don't have to stay on property. You can literally go play there any day you want. Go see something you likely won't again any time soon!

Callaway Gardens

Myrtle Beach and Biloxi were the first 2 that came to mind.

Make a trip up the RTJ trail. There are plenty of great courses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

True blue and Caledonia

I'd want to go somewhere warm so I'd go with Casa de Campo or Punta Cana golf in the D.R. Are you sure she doesn't want to go? hehe

I agree that North Myrtle Beach is a godd option or consider the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. Stay at Ross Bridge near Birmingham and you have many courses within a quick drive

RTJ is on the radar as well. My impression is that the lodging is not on site though, but rather a short drive. It's not a deal breaker but I was really hoping to not have to drive, specifically to make it more convenient to take an easier break between rounds to play 36 at least one day. I get a little stiff golfing that much and find that a good trip to the hot tub/sauna does wonders. Again, nitpicking a little, but that was a little bit of a turn off. Also, they average a bit more rain that I would have thought that time of year, so there's a little risk there. I don't mind the rain but there is a higher chance of washout or poorer conditions. It's worth considering though for sure.

If I lived in Florida and was looking to golf outside the state that time of year I'd target Mobile to Gulfport area, maybe up into Mississippi and try dancing rabbit. Pinehurst area might not be bad if you get a good weekend.

Pinehurst is intriguing. Would have to go earlier in their off season because once December comes it could be cold enough for frost delays. They do have good rates though, and it's close enough to an accessible airport (CLT) to be an easy trip. Top 2-3 for me right now.

This package starts on November 12 and is about as cheap as you will ever get at Kiawah Island, with access to the Ocean Course.
https://kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/golf-or-gourmet-escape/

I need to call and find out what the rate for a single would be. It doesn't state "per person" but the assumption with those packages is two people. If it's really $300 a night for two rounds and lodging, it's an immediate option for sure!

I need to call and find out what the rate for a single would be. It doesn't state "per person" but the assumption with those packages is two people. If it's really $300 a night for two rounds and lodging, it's an immediate option for sure!

If you do check it out, would you mind posting? This is of interest to me

Back