Jordan Spieth, Fluke or Future Superstar?

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
Before I begin, I am in not way a Spieth hater, what he has done this year is exciting to watch and could possible stir a new generation of golfers as Tiger Woods did many years ago.

In 2015, Jordan Spieth entered the PGA season with one PGA Tour win under his belt, the John Deer Classic from 2013, which he won in a playoff. He has two other other wins, but not official PGA Tour victories.
Then in 2015, he stormed onto the stage winning the Valspar Championship, then the Masters in record setting fasion followed up by the US Open. He placed 4th in the Open and tied for second in the PGA Championship before finishing the year with his second John Deer Classic. He is currently leading the FedEx Cup standing by a wide margin and took over the #1 World Golf Ranking.

My question for you, is Spieth having a career year that he may not duplicate again, or is he leading a new generation of superstars?

Really hard to say. Golf is such a mental sport. It could be that he's got his head right and can keep winning. Or it could be that the winning goes to his head, he tries too hard to keep winning, and can never recapture what he's got now.

Just the beginning

Jordan is still very young / relatively new to the tour - I think we are not even close to seeing his peak yet - I see several more wins and a FedEx cup win before his career has stalled / sputtered...

As long as he doesnt start chasing distance the dude is going to be a rock star.

As long as he doesnt start chasing distance the dude is going to be a rock star.

Agreed, don't want to see him chase a Luke Donald or Justin Leonard move to pick up those extra yards, it's almost a death sentence.

A fluke is a single victory or playing great golf for a month and grabbing a few wins.

2 majors won and the lowest score relative to par in all 4 majors in HISTORY is not a fluke.

Before I begin, I am in not way a Spieth hater, what he has done this year is exciting to watch and could possible stir a new generation of golfers as Tiger Woods did many years ago.

In 2015, Jordan Spieth entered the PGA season with one PGA Tour win under his belt, the John Deer Classic from 2013, which he won in a playoff. He has two other other wins, but not official PGA Tour victories.
Then in 2015, he stormed onto the stage winning the Valspar Championship, then the Masters in record setting fasion followed up by the US Open. He placed 4th in the Open and tied for second in the PGA Championship before finishing the year with his second John Deer Classic. He is currently leading the FedEx Cup standing by a wide margin and took over the #1 World Golf Ranking.

My question for you, is Spieth having a career year that he may not duplicate again, or is he leading a new generation of superstars?
This may end up being the best year in his career. And he could still have a hall of fame, rarely seen type of career. This year has been that good. I think he'll be around the #1 World Ranking for a long time.

Man I hope he is the future and not a flame out.

Seems both smart and practical. I don't see him changing the things that have given him so much success. Others have, but I don't see him doing so. His practicality reminds me of Nicklaus.

I think we just have to wait to see what the future holds for him. I don't think this year was a fluke, but at the same time I don't think it was a telling of what's going to happen in the future. I think it all depends on how he handles the pressure from here on out to keep repeating his performances. He's now holding the #1 ranking in the world for the first time in his career, and some golfer's have really struggled after hitting that milestone in their career (Rory, Adam Scott, Martin Kaymer, etc.). I really hope he doesn't struggle and continues to play solid golf because he's a lot of fun to watch. And on top of that, he has a great public image and says all the right things.

One major can be a fluke...two back to back can't in my book. He's got a long great career ahead of him and it will be a joy to watch.

Future Superstar for sure, he's here to stay!

Agree, as long as he keeps doing what he is doing he is going to have a stellar career. I actually like his long term prospects better than Day and McIlroy. He is younger than both of them, and so far seems to be less injury prone.

One major can be a fluke...two back to back can't in my book. He's got a long great career ahead of him and it will be a joy to watch.

As well as being in the final pairing in the other 2 Majors.

It's hard to say, my gut tells me it's somewhere in the middle. I think he will end up having a very nice career with multiple majors yet to come, but I don't know that he will be the dominant force we saw this year every again. My gut tells me the rest of his career is more Phil or Ernie than it is Tiger or Jack. Not that there is a damn thing wrong with that.

He is a future superstar. I'm not saying he will win 2 majors next year and other tournaments, but he's going to be in the hunt, he's going to continue to win (I will say at least once annually, but probably twice), and he is here to stay.

~Rock

Who knows for sure, but my opinion is that this is just the start of what we will see from him in the future, I think he will continue and be remembered as one of the greats.

I think he is a budding superstar....seems like he is strong mentally and has a good head on his shoulders, he is grounded, and with the way he can putt...he could be tough for years to come.

He's the real deal and I believe he will set the bar for those yet to be born.

not a fluke. Time will tell for everything else.

Kind of how I see it. There was a great article recently on anther site that showed how Spieth was a massive outlier statistically with respect to distance and scoring. His distance is pretty average by Tour standard, but every other part of his game adds up to exceptional.

If he plays his game, the sky's the limit for him. I think also by playing his game, he's less likely to get an injury.

By comparison, I think Rory is fantastic, but I think he's the one to be asking this question about. He's in peak fitness and is killing the ball. He openly admits he doesn't putt well. He's one knee injury or back tweak away from being just an average player. Lose that distance, and he'll be like Happy Gilmore.

This may be the time to mention that DJ handed the U.S. Open to Spieth on a silver platter.

I certainly think Spieth is a superstar. He's currently one. He had an unbelievable year in winning two majors and just missing the other two.

Time will tell how great he can be. But, I think he'll be one of the greats before he's done.

This may be the time to mention that DJ handed the U.S. Open to Spieth on a silver platter.

I certainly think Spieth is a superstar. He's currently one. He had an unbelievable year in winning two majors and just missing the other two.

Time will tell how great he can be. But, I think he'll be one of the greats before he's done.

stop it with logic.

Back