JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Short Par 5, but quite interesting.
Distance is going to play right around 450 yards, but keep in mind there is NO roll at all on this course off the tee. So your carry distance is where you end up.
250 off the tee leaves a nice even 200 yards into a green that is very tough, although the pin is usually in the middle of the green.

Laying off on the tee takes the water out of play, but would also take going for it in two out of play most likely.

Rough on the left side all the way up is VERY thick.

So what say you THPers, how would you play it?

HYole-X2.jpg

Driver off the tee to the left side then wedge/wedge to the green.

Are you not getting roll because it’s FL? Or because it’s sopping wet?

The former isn’t an issue and I’m going for it if the lie is good.

The latter, ugh. Layup from a squishy lie 99/100 times.

Driver toward the left bunker, something like a PW / 9 Iron to the green. That would be the plan anyway. Just the plan...

My miss is right so with the water I’m laying up and looking to play for Birdie.

• Admin
Are you not getting roll because it’s FL? Or because it’s sopping wet?

The former isn’t an issue and I’m going for it if the lie is good.

The latter, ugh. Layup from a squishy lie 99/100 times.

Lets assume its not wet...Its that rough on the left that makes it incredibly hard off the tee honestly.

I'm probably trying to hammer a driver up the left side. If I catch the rough it'll be a layup, but if I'm in the fairway it should be a green light (depending on wind conditions).

Lets assume its not wet...Its that rough on the left that makes it incredibly hard off the tee honestly.

Oh yeah if it’s a missed fairway, it’s now a three shot hole no question. Around 2 bills out though, I mean.. how do you not?

• Admin
Oh yeah if it’s a missed fairway, it’s now a three shot hole no question. Around 2 bills out though, I mean.. how do you not?

That is where the issue is. If it ends up in that rough, its a really tough play. Because you could thin into the water or the trees and end up in a really bad spot

Driver,3h then some type of impossible pitch if my ball isn't wet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm going 4 wood off the tee with a 230 carry to take the water out of play if I miss right. I'm then going for the green with hybrid from 220. I'd aim my approach at the very left edge of the green which should allow for all 3 misses (left, straight, right - lol). Seems like a hole I'd expect to have a good look at birdie on every time.

That green would mean I'm not going for it in two.

Id go 5i,5i, wedge.

3 wood off the tee and 5i-21*hybird to the green depending on how well I hit the 3 wood.

Can't say it would work out as planned but plan would be:

3 hybrid off tee leaving 250 in
7 iron hugging left side leaving 100-110
AW (GW) into green and hopefully have a nice birdie putt
2 putt par unless I get lucky

Probably lay up with a 4W off the tee to take water out of play. Then I'm laying up with a 9i to about 70 yards and hoping to give myself a chance at birdie. Better odds than attempting a 200 yard approach into a green with little room for error.

Driver off the tee to the left side then wedge/wedge to the green.

This was kinda my thoughts too.

If driver finds short stuff then I can get on in two. If not, lay up and get on in regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am somewhat confused by the picture. Not of the layout of the hole but regarding the yardages. I am assuming the blue, white and red dots are designating 200, 150 and 100 hundred yards to the center the green. But even with the white dot it says 200. Is that 200 from the tee to the water or 200 hundred from that point to the center of the green?

Just by pure ditance of the hole, I would aim driver at the right side of the water and play my normal draw. if it stays in the fairway, I go for it with a 5 wood. If I miss the fairway left, I try to lay up to 90 - 100 yards.

I am somewhat confused by the picture. Not of the layout of the hole but regarding the yardages. I am assuming the blue, white and red dots are designating 200, 150 and 100 hundred yards to the center the green. But even with the white dot it says 200. Is that 200 from the tee to the water or 200 hundred from that point to the center of the green?

Just by pure ditance of the hole, I would aim driver at the right side of the water and play my normal draw. if it stays in the fairway, I go for it with a 5 wood. If I miss the fairway left, I try to lay up to 90 - 100 yards.

Did you read it? haha
Disregard the dots, all of the info is there : )

Did you read it? haha
Disregard the dots, all of the info is there : )

I did but the stupid dots threw me off. I stand by my play with ignoring the dots.

I’m sure playing smart would be the correct play, but if I see a 450y par 5 I’m going to try to go in two. So...driver - hybrid. Sounds like it would either be a chance for an eagle with a really good shot at bird, or an 8.

If a favourable wind, and I’m hitting it well, I go driver hybrid and try for it in 2. If playing smart, I go hybrid hybrid pitch. Basically guarantees me a putt for birdie inside 12 feet.

I think I would try to start a driver down the left side of the fairway and see what happens from there. Fairway with 200 I think I go for it, my irons have been stupid accurate as of late, and going for it is fun! Rough and I lay up as far down as I am comfortable, no way to guarantee I get the ball up and stopped out of thick rough. Can't miss long, can't miss short.

Driver,9 iron then wedge it close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to carry the ball 250 or anything deep enough to make going for it in 2 a reasonable option. So I'm hitting 3w or 3h off the tee to make sure I find a fairway. From there I'm hitting the longest club I am ceratain won't go in the rough. Preferably to something between 85-105 yards. From there I pretty much know I'm not taking worse than bogey.

If the driver is going well that day, driver off the tee and a 5 or 4 iron in. If not, 4 iron off the tee, 7 iron layup, and LW onto the green.
I'd have a hard time not going for it in 2 since I rarely play a par 5 under 490 yards and most that I see are 520+ yards.

Back