When do you change your ball?

gr8dryv

Big Boned
Reaction score
Handicap
Job & Kids
I will usually wait until it has a scuff or slice that I figure will impact performance. This weekend however, I played a ball for 27 holes one day, then 27 more the next day. (the same ball I had used in a scramble late last week). I thought I lost it a few times, but it always turned up and I put it back in play. I went to play again on Sunday and I had to play that ball, just out of respect for how long it stuck with me. I was sad to see it finally lost after another 12 holes, but it got me to thinking about just how well it held up. It was scuffed and tattered, but it went a country mile while holding it's line, putted true, and it stuck on the greens. It got me to thinking about how durable and dependable balls have become. How bad a shape does your ball have to be in before you change it out, or do you have another criteria?

I start every new round with a new ball. I will change when it gets hit into the woods or the water. I will also change if it gets scuffed badly...but will keep it handy for when the next new​ one is lost.

once a ball has a scuff mark or cut that i feel will negatively impact the expected results from a golf shot.

Once I get a scuff or knick I either drop it in the shag back or throw it in the woods/water (after holing out of course).

I play a ball until it does not resemble a golf ball any longer.
I lose them way before that, tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once I get a deep cut or scrape that I feel will affect the aerodynamics significantly.

Usually until I lose it. I managed to play 36 with the same ball this weekend, but it will probably be retired as it does have some significant scuffing.

I will very rarely put a ball away, 9/10 if I put it in play I lose it before it needs replacing.

I keep a ball in play until lost or doesn't resemble a golf ball any longer. Or it didn't perform well, then it's gone quite quickly. I've been known to hand a dozen new balls if the first one isn't performing up to standards. Trying unfamiliar balls for me has benefits for others, occasionally.

I will play a ball till it gets a major scrape or smile....as long as it will roll true and fly well I will continue to use it.

I change them when I lose them or hit a cart path or tree and really screw the casing up.

Whenever I lose it. So generally every couple of holes :banghead:

I generally play a ball before 3 rounds before moving on to another. Have no issues playing it with minor scuffs but will take it out of play if the scuff is bad enough to impact performance.

Back