Golfing in the Rain - What to bring, how to adjust?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I played about 14 holes in the rain last weekend. It was the first time in years I actually tee'd off knowing it was going to rain the entire time. But I had a few hours to myself and hadn't played in a few weeks so I really wanted to play. I actually enjoyed myself quite a bit, but a couple problems though... I did't come prepared. So if you are going to play in the rain what do you bring? Are there things you always have in the bag just in case or mainly things you just put in for the day? And how do you adjust for the rain on the course? Does it affect your distances?

Golfing in the Rain - What to bring, how to adjust?

For me it’s my rain gear (pants, jacket, hat and gloves) towels and my brella.

Well seems like everytime it rains I show up unprepared (yesterday was a prime example as I thought it was supposed to be just a little sprinkle).

1. Rain Suit
2. Umbrella
3. Rain Gloves

Distances, since there is usually wind with it around here I club up 1-2 depending on how windy

Rain suit, gloves and rain hood for the bag. Plus bring some antifreeze, in case you get cold.

I bring an umbrella and head for the 19th hole

• Admin
For me it’s my rain gear (pants, jacket, hat and gloves) towels and my brella.

Do you use rain gloves? I ended up golfing with out any gloves because I didn't want to ruin the only glove I had in my bag. This made things difficult as I had to make sure the grip was really dry before hitting the shot. I also noticed all my distances were about 1 club short

I always keep my rain jacket and pants in my bag. Nothing worse than needing it and not having it and becoming soaked, especially if there is any wind. Rain gloves are a must too. If you are going to wear them, keep them on and get them wet and get your grips wet. One thing i always struggle with when it comes to rain gloves is my putting but after a couple holes Im able to adjust

Do you use rain gloves? I ended up golfing with out any gloves because I didn't want to ruin the only glove I had in my bag. This made things difficult as I had to make sure the grip was really dry before hitting the shot. I also noticed all my distances were about 1 club short

I have rain gloves and cold weather gloves. I just keep them both in my bag at all times.

• Admin
Sounds like I need to add some rain gloves to the bag. Might also be looking to pickup a cart cover. For the last 3 years I was playing my Callaway Aqua Dry bag which was awesome, just put the hood on and your good, but now that bag has been retired to the man cave and the new bag was definitely not waterproof.

I play in rain all the time. They keys are:
1) mental - ignore the rain and accept you'll get a little wet.
2) Clicgear with umbrella will keep you and your bag remarkably dry.
3) towels towels towels. Hang a few towels up under the canopy of your umbrella for drying grips and hands if need be.
4) rain gloves for when it gets really bad.
5) waterproof shoes

3) towels towels towels. Hang a few towels up under the canopy of your umbrella for drying grips and hands if need be.
5) waterproof shoes

Army pretty much nailed it. I like to walk anyway but I deliberately seek out courses I can walk when it's real wet. Hate CPO and have a better shot at keeping gear dry with a pushcart and umbrella.

RAIN GLOVES, I can handle everything else, but the club slipping out of my hand is not an option.

Sounds like I need to add some rain gloves to the bag. Might also be looking to pickup a cart cover. For the last 3 years I was playing my Callaway Aqua Dry bag which was awesome, just put the hood on and your good, but now that bag has been retired to the man cave and the new bag was definitely not waterproof.

You will be surprised how well they work. I played in a monsoon a couple months back and the FJ's can handle all mother nature can give.

You will be surprised how well they work. I played in a monsoon a couple months back and the FJ's can handle all mother nature can give.

Yeah wet hands isn't good especially my right hand which I can never seem to get dry when playing in wet conditions no matter how many times I wipe it with a towel or on my pants. I feel the club slipping, grab hard with right hand and out come the hooks

i keep a rain jacket in my bag, but if going in I know it's going to be wet conditions...it's a rain jacket, pants, a couple of towels and an umbrella.

Rain gloves, gear, umbrella/bag cover. I keep the rain gloves on as they work better wet. Don't try working the ball off the tee. I love a wet driver face as it is very easy to hit straight.

i just attach my umbrella to my Clicgear if it looks like there is a chance I may get rained on. I don't own any other rain gear. Can't remember the last time I actually started in the rain.

5) waterproof shoes

All of these ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ definitely. Nothing is worse than playing in the rain and your feet get wet. Waterproof FootJoys are essential.

I carry multiple gloves in the bag just for that reason. Well plus a sweat thru gloves in no time at all when it's hot. I always have the rain pants & jacket if it gets pouring out. I have rain gloves but I rarely wear them because they just don't feel right having two gloves on at the same time. I might just wear the left if anything.

I also have talcum powder in a little bottle. You would be surprised how much it helps keeping your hands dry in between shots. Especially if your towels get too wet. I normally carry about 4 - 5 towels with me anyway. So under the umbrella or in the cart they go to try and keep them as dry as possible.

Rain gear (jacket/pants/gloves, at some point I'll have a hat for the rain)
Extra towel
Umbrella
Twizzle stick

Always in my bag are...

1. Rain Gear = pants and top
2. Extra gloves
3. All weather gloves
4. Extra pair of socks

When I know it's going to rain, then I throw one of these in the bag....

f33aae88-d3bd-4271-ac91-b0aa5dc7963d_1.fddee5cc826cfb63f31ae0e6c32932c7.jpeg

If I know I am playing in the rain I am bringing the following things:

Rain Hat
Rain jacket
Rain Pants
Goretex Shoes
Umbrella
Umbrella holder extension
Full bag cover for my bag (clicgear model that goes over the entire bag)
Extra towels

Maybe Rain gloves, I have used them a few times, but it depends on the amount of rain you are getting. I would also recommend a flask of something good to have on hand to reward yourself for birdies, but that is a personal preference.

Just a rain jacket, gloves, and umbrella that is always on my golf bag and ideally a towel to at the very least put on the seat of the golf cart.

Utx grips
Rain gloves
short sleeve rain jacket
waterproof sun mountain bucket hat
Xtra towels and socks
umbrella
rain pants although I do my best to not actually wear them.
I've come to enjoy it as long as it's not pouring. The utx grips have given me an advantage on the field IMHO. Gotta want it in the rain or else you have no shot...

I should add that I rarely use a rain jacket. Only when it's raining sideways and too windy for my umbrella. I just hate swinging in a rain jacket and would rather cycle through a couple fleece sweaters.

Rain gloves x 100000000000000. To me, grip slippage with wet hands will break a round, but rain gloves really work. 100% grip confidence. The FJ are the best I have tried. They are ALWAYS in my bag. I was a changed man when I experienced how good rain gloves really work for the first time.

Back