JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You can have Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Rory McIlroy or you can have the field. Which way do you lean and why?

For any one event, the answer to any question like this is always "the field". The odds will never favor the few over the many, no matter how you stack it.

The field... the guys you listed won 12 out of 47 tourneys last year... If the odds are even than the field is an easy choice for me

If it's for the year - the field. While those guys got I believe 12 wins last year, that leaves the vast majority of the year they did not. % wise it would be silly to go for them.

If it's for one big tournament such as a major or WGC...I'd be inclined to go with those 4, because in big events they showed up. Those 4 won half of the WGC events, half of the majors, and half of the playoff events...all with Rory having one of his least productive years. I don't think that happens again to him, so you can probably add in a few more W's to that group.

Have to take the field. The odds just lay so great on the bulk of players vs just a few. Golf is a funny sport. Many times the "best" doesn't always win week to week.

I'm taking those 4 Golfers. Yeah sure Will McGirt can get hot for 4 days and win, but I know of the 4 golfers you listed one of them will typically be in the hunt come the weekend and the drive they have to win and close it out.

There's so much parity out there now that I'l take the field. I'll lose a few but in the end I'll win more often.

For the whole season I'll take the field every time. While 3 of those 4 are the top golfers there is just too many good golfers out there right now and nobody is dominating like Tiger used to way back when

The field definitely. There are so many good golfers out there. It seems someone new, a rookie, wins every week. Anyone can win from week to week

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Any given tournament I will take my chances with those guys. I know the smart thing would be the field, but given that the statement is so broad it could mean anything. I'll roll with the talent.

The field for no other reason than the fact that I typically play whatever the odds state. Leave emotion and feelings out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard not to take the field when the level of talent seems so high at this point. There are assassins outside of those four that could go wire to wire on any given day.

As good as those 4 are and have the ability to win on any given day, I would still have to lean towards the field as there are just too many good players these days

Gotta be the field. There are so many players that can win at any given week that it is almost unbelievable.

Too much parity in the sport not to take the field.

What venue, and how did they do the week before?

I think it was a big event like a major or WGC, I’d go with those guys.

#FiberLaunch

The field - always the field just because anything can happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take the field. Way too much parity on the tour where anybody can get hot and win on any weekend.

I'll take my chances with the big dogs. Speith can win on any given Sunday.

I am taking the field each and every time

The field. Those guys can win on any given day, but so could someone in the field.

I'll take the field.

Too many good players out there that can win any week.

If the odds where high enough on one of those players against the field's odds, then I would probably hedge my bets like $10 on Johnson and $50 on the field.

Give me the field- No guarantee's that those guys play every week etc. Could be a DJ fall at the Masters, or Rory pulling out cause of his back. I'd take my chances with the other golfers in the field on a give week.

The field. None of them are 2000 Tiger. They miss cuts, they are streaky and none of them are going to win with their B- game

Back