Golf Ball Choice And Your Game

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
Playing this weekend I started off using a Titleist Pro V1. I switched to a Precept Laddie and finished with a Top Flite XL that I found earlier in the round and had thrown in my Clicgear net. The one thing I noticed is that while I can certainly feel a difference at contact during different shots, especially chipping and putting.... I seem to play the same no matter what ball I am using. I don't notice much difference in terms of heights or distances. Spin is probably the only thing I notice and that's mostly only on my chips/pitches which I can always play for more roll if need be.

Does a ball make that big of a difference for your game? Is it a performance thing? Is it mental? Or just a preference?

Playing this weekend I started off using a Titleist Pro V1. I switched to a Precept Laddie and finished with a Top Flite XL that I found earlier in the round and had thrown in my Clicgear net. The one thing I noticed is that while I can certainly feel a difference at contact during different shots, especially chipping and putting.... I seem to play the same no matter what ball I am using. I don't notice much difference in terms of heights or distances. Spin is probably the only thing I notice and that's mostly only on my chips/pitches which I can always play for more roll if need be.

Does a ball make that big of a difference for your game? Is it a performance thing? Is it mental? Or just a preference?

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I notice the difference with chips/pitches and play for more roll, but I seem to play about the same no matter what ball I play. I shot my PB with a Titleist Velocity this spring. Sometimes I think I notice a slight difference in distance, but in reality, it's almost definitely just the quality of the strike.

There have been times, when playing Srixon Z-stars that I've been able to make a wedge shot hit and stick. That almost never happens when I play a Supersoft for example. But it's rare, and it could be course related more than ball related (soft greens).

I think its a performance thing for me. I have played many balls over the years and have been playing a tour type ball predominantly for the last several. I played prov1/1x for a long time but after doing a ball fitting with Bridgestone the B330-RX has been a constant in my bag and I then compare balls to that to see what performs better from tee to green, durability.

I've been playing Bridgestone a lot. Currently using the Tour B330 which was what their website fitting told me but I may try the B330-RX or RXS next go around.

I currently play most consistent with Srixon Q-Stars and/or Bridgestone B330 RXS. Espcially, the Q-Stars, its kinda scary that my last two rounds I have not lost a ball, start - finish with same ball (rare for me)..... But I love the feel off wedge/putter w/ Titleist NXT Tour-S, ProV1's and Wilson Staff Duo-Spin but I loose one or two of those a round when I played them. Maybe mental I don't know, I just know the Srixon is working and its puzzling but in a good kinda way.

Usually Bstone E6, Wilson Duo, or super soft. Ive had extremely good luck with the z-star xv lately though and especially off the tee which has surprised me a bit. Ive played just about every ball at some point though.

I have a couple balls I tend to prefer, but I can typically score the same whether I'm playing a ProV1 or a DT Solo. The biggest thing I notice different is spin on approaches to the green. I can feel a difference, but while I may prefer one feel to another, I'm not good enough for that to really affect me much, if at all.

PB rounds - Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Hex Control, and B330RX.
I have no idea if a ball fits my game better or not. I do know that I need a ball that spins less from driver and more from irons, but the E6 that I played earlier this year was fantastic, and it is a "low spin" ball.
I pretty much suck, so the ball really does not matter too much. Unless it is a pinnacle or top flight, I will play it.

I prefer Callaway chrome soft's, but like supersoft as well. Bridgestone b330's are also great balls for what I am looking for in a ball.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I am fine with roll out. I just prefer the feel of a soft golf ball. It's a total personal preference. The softer the ball, the more I will like it. Hence why my gamer is the SuperSoft.

I've learned how to generate some spin with my wedges, so I have to be cognizant of what kind I am using so I know what kind of shot I can perform. I don't think it effects my scores though IMO. Shot my current PB using a Nike RZN red most of the time. Just have to adjust for roll out or being able to stop it dead.

This is a timely thread for me. This year, at the advice of my fitter, I switched from the e6 to the NXT Tour, which I really like. But I also like cheap, so I'm going to experiment with the Wilson 50 Elite and the Duo.

Actually, I was playing a town out of town recently and had to rent clubs and buy balls, and I went super cheap: Pinnacle Golds. They were a very pleasant surprise for a buck a ball.

Playing the same ball consistently makes a bigger difference {for me} than the type of ball: During the warmer months I'm going to play a urethane ball for consistency around the greens. The time during the year where it's < 50 degrees, I'm going to something softer, i.e. Wilson Duo or 50 Elite. It takes my brain some time to process the change in spin / run-out characteristics of the two-piece balls. Ultimately I get there, but it's not like a flipping a light switch.

Unfortunately, the cheapest ball I can find. My neighbor gave me a mixed basket of prov1s, b330s, and others, but until I get better, the big kitty is what I'll be playing.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a ball hoe, but I buy different balls all the time, just to see if there is a magic that fits my game. I have played Z Star, Q Star, Pro v1x, and Taylormade RBZU and Dt Solo. As of now I really prefer the DT. I do get roll but not too much. Through all clubs it's very consistent. I just like it. Thought I never would lol

I say it's mental, but sometimes I'll drop a random ball down and play really well with it.

Back