Realistic goals when playing <20 rounds per year

russtopher

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Band
I'm curious to know how many THPers play less than 20 rounds per year, for whatever reason, and what realistic goals they've set for themselves.

I only get to play AT MOST 2-3 rounds per month, between work & my family. I'm OK with that, because I'll hopefully have plenty of time to play when the kids are older & I don't need to be a taxi driver :) But I also know that with limited time on the course, I can't expect to go from shooting 95-105 to 80-85 quickly.

Even my range time is fairly limited; when I get out there it's usually on a lunch break or on the way home from work, so I have quick focused sessions where I set one or two specific things to work on, rather than mindlessly beat balls.

So who's a part-time golfer besides me, and what do you do to work on & set expectations for your game?

20'rounds is actually pretty good for me in a year. Realistic goals ? keep it simple and have fun

middle of greens.. / chip and pitch where a 3 Putt in unlikely..lay up to a comfortable full swing yardage( eliminate 1/2 and 3/4 shots)

when i stick to this I can keep it simple and will have more good versus bad holes.

IMO, with you playing and practicing so infrequently you would do well to retain your current skill level.

That's about what I normally play lately and for me always have had high expectations because I do practice at least once a week.

realistically though someone who doesn't practice a lot coupled with playing a few times expectation would be to maintain current level of play

I play maybe once a month and most of those are scrambles. I've learned not to have any expectations at all. Go out and do the best I can, have fun, and just enjoy being able to get out and play because I don't know when the next time will be.

Probably just go have fun, try to keep short game skill and putting at a high-ish level.

Spend half of your practice time at least on short game practice. With less time to get your longer game consistent your short game will be usefull.

Have fun, and try not to get worst. That's all I have hoped for through the drought that has been my playing time recently.

I would spend a majority of my time on short game practice when you can sneak away for practice. Short game work can cure many ailing games.

I'm there with you this year. I'm happy if I break 90.

I play about 20 rounds a year. My expectation is to shoot between 80-90. I get into the 70's now and then but need a hot putter or some good fortune.

For the most part, I'm at the age where I've settled into my swing, I put and chip the same way etc etc. Unless I took time to play a lot and change things up I'm pretty much going to shoot the same scores as long as I keep my health up. I'm okay with that, I like being an 8-10 handicap, I get free strokes on my playing partners =)

So far in 2015 I have played 18 rounds. Lowest score was a 78 and highest was an 89.

What I work on (never have much time) is chipping and putting. I only practice 4 foot putts on a birdie ball green at home. I chip into a net in between doing stuff around the house. I used to full swing practice a lot but since I had the baby I only putt and chip.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I play 20 or less a year,it's tough to play more for me as per my schedule. I set my goals high and work hard on my game at home or at the range quite often. I have almost shot my PB this year while playing badly fit clubs which I am very proud of. My lowest score was 81,highest was 100. So big different in score. I am hoping to make it all consistent real soon

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back