Callaway Apex MB Irons

I could game this sh!t out of those babies. Would it have an adverse affect on my handicap? Perhaps at first, but I'd figure it out! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Aren't the new "cf" line supposed to come out around PGA show time?
If you're right, that would be awesome! I won't knock on these MBs though, as they are some serious eye candy

Like I said earlier, something about the design of these that makes them so great at address yet slightly forgiving on mishits. Obviously not as forgiving as apex CF or pros but forgiving enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes these forgiving? I see blade and know what to expect. You’ve said it a couple times now. My brain says blade, hit’em pure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What makes these forgiving? I see blade and know what to expect. You’ve said it a couple times now. My brain says blade, hit’em pure.

Very true. A blade is a blade. But if that were the case, we wouldn't have new MP irons or 71x irons every couple years. I guess I'm different in that when I've tried other OEM blades, I've walked away knowing I've got no business even gripping that club. These on the other hand came across as playable for the less than center face everytime golfer. Of course still requires a good strike/contact to see full potential yardage but at least I felt like I could play these without sacrificing much over CB. But that's my take in limited time with these. If I'm wrong then I'll admit it but I think more people will like / try these that hadn't tried blades before.

Very true. A blade is a blade. But if that were the case, we wouldn't have new MP irons or 71x irons every couple years. I guess I'm different in that when I've tried other OEM blades, I've walked away knowing I've got no business even gripping that club. These on the other hand came across as playable for the less than center face everytime golfer. Of course still requires a good strike/contact to see full potential yardage but at least I felt like I could play these without sacrificing much over CB. But that's my take in limited time with these. If I'm wrong then I'll admit it but I think more people will like / try these that hadn't tried blades before.

Ok but what is it that makes them forgiving? Is there some thing to to it? Or were you expecting a harsh feeling? A penalizing result in distance and feel? Stingers in your hands? For someone that has games blades I know what can happen. But for those looking to take a step towards these. Why these over anything else on the market.

The callaway on the MB cheapens it for me, I’m just not a fan of the font!

Ok but what is it that makes them forgiving? Is there some thing to to it? Or were you expecting a harsh feeling? A penalizing result in distance and feel? Stingers in your hands? For someone that has games blades I know what can happen. But for those looking to take a step towards these. Why these over anything else on the market.

Expecting - Harsh no, sting yes. Topped or blades shot yes. Horrible feel off toe shots.

Results - feedback without sting. Center contact on most shots with higher than expected ball flight. Toe shot didn't feel like club was collapsing/pushing open like it did with previous MB irons. Didn't see slice right on mishits like my tendencies were with previous mb

Expecting - Harsh no, sting yes. Topped or blades shot yes. Horrible feel off toe shots.

Results - feedback without sting. Center contact on most shots with higher than expected ball flight. Toe shot didn't feel like club was collapsing/pushing open like it did with previous MB irons. Didn't see slice right on mishits like my tendencies were with previous mb

I get where your coming from. But it’s not explaining why. It’s interesting that you weren’t seeing things I see with a much more forgiving club with these. I’ve got to put these up against my blades. How was the flight on miss hits. Was the gear effect present?

Did you hit them on a launch monitor and get numbers for center and off center hits? If so how do those numbers compare to titleist mb from 712-718 as well as mizuno MP4,5,18?

Did you hit them on a launch monitor and get numbers for center and off center hits? If so how do those numbers compare to titleist mb from 712-718 as well as mizuno MP4,5,18?

Sorry that I didn't not. It was off Matts but no monitor for numbers

Ooooh! So fresh and so clean!

I wish I had the game for these, one day it will happen though. The size of these aren't really intimidating compared to the X Forged. They're smaller, just not scary smaller. Topline doesn't look paper thin and heel to toe looks decent sized.

Buying a set of these is going to be a huge temptation next season... even knowing they'll likely impact my handicap in a less than stellar way lol.

Sorry that I didn't not. It was off Matts but no monitor for numbers

So I had to stop by my pro shop/range to grab something and it turns out they have this in demo. I put it head to head with z965 and miura. I didn't have my 718 my to compare to today but distance wise the apex mb is the right in the same distance range as my mb and shorter than the 965. The miuras are a little shorter for me. Forgiveness to me was on par between all of them and the 964 was the most forgiving. I got exactly the expected results and feelings of missed hits and the harshness in the hands with thinned shots or in the heel. Imo it's a blade and plays like a blade.

Here are the 3 heads for comparison. Crappy lighting at the range so forgive that.

Miura apex z965
03e0250931da14b803f16818e0712cb8.jpg

111fef0d5b35941031d8f889552dd8ff.jpg

965 on left, apex middle and miura on right
55f334f8b8b7bd9e47a0203bb0555e18.jpg

Buying a set of these is going to be a huge temptation next season... even knowing they'll likely impact my handicap in a less than stellar way lol.

You can hit mine! Best of all worlds and handicap stays low!

I hit the 7 iron tonight. Paired with the Project X 6.0

First swing was flushed, distance, trajectory, and feel are what I expected from a club of this caliber.

As I intentionally moved around the face these felt and responded like every blade I’ve hit. Low on the face shots produced stingers, a lower ball flight and a significant loss in distance.

On the toe, and heel is saw what you typically will find, loss of distance and minimal gear effect.

High on the face maintained a similar trajectory as a flushed shot, distance loss, and a different sound at impact.

As far as aesthetics go. They’re gorgeous, the radius in the muscle is well done. With the way they stepped the radius it just looks good, and seems to be a way of bringing more mass lower with that gradual step. It’s not as sharp if a radius as the MP-5 had. Classic look to these.
The framing of the grooves works very well.

I returned to hitting them with my normal swing and set up and my thought was I could game these blades. If I were in the market for blades I’d give them a look for sure. However at the end of the day these are blades and look, feel, and sound like blades.

In stores 11/3 thats not long! Any ideas what the stock shafts are and what will be offered as no charge upgrades?
As i saw later in your post, px is the std shaft that was in my demos as well
'smallest blade length' sounds scary.

I wonder how compact they are. From the pics, they almost always looked like an oversized blade.
If i remember correctly these have bit more blade length than the old apex mb

Some pics from demo day couple weeks back
5e3a1042102d070cf1c0e79951e323f7.jpg
cbcf2d31fd532e85cdfe5ef29a7be69b.jpg
9ebb62f8373cec58ce8ed2cb40411fc9.jpg

that curved muscle looks so much better than a straight flat line

Wow these irons look fantastic. I'm going to seek some out and give them a try!

Tried these, the P730s and the MP-18 MB today and quite honestly preferred the feel of the Apex MBs.

Tried these, the P730s and the MP-18 MB today and quite honestly preferred the feel of the Apex MBs.

Dang, that’s super intriguing. I need to get my hands on one to try.

That’s a hell of a lineup there! Would have been a fun demo!

After today I am convinced I can play a full set of blades. It's a ponder now for sure but nothing I am anxiously pursuing.

After today I am convinced I can play a full set of blades. It's a ponder now for sure but nothing I am anxiously pursuing.

I'll see if I can get a set to demo on the course when you come out here next month.

Back