The Left Hander's Thread

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a lefty, my right arm and hand are pretty much useless. When it comes to golf equipment, I feel like the red headed step child. Regarding new equipment the first thing I find out is if it comes in left handed models. If so, when will they be available. Then what shafts and lofts are available because typically left handed options are less available. I cannot find any 3 medal (wood) that I can hit. A right handed bud had the same problem and suggested that I get a 4 medal (wood). Ever try to find a left handed 4 medal. From my fellow lefties, any suggestions on equipment sources. Which manufacturers do you find to be the most lefty friendly.

I tend to find just about everything I could want in LH. Callaway does a really good job of providing options. This year they are offering the MD3s in a TON of grinds and lofts for lefties

The main frustration I have as a left-hander is with wedges. There are all sorts of color, loft and grind options if you're a righty, but not so much with LH. That goes across the board with most OEMs.

I've always thought that Ping and Callaway were lefty friendly. I'd take a look at those two for your metal woods.

Wedges for lefties are tough if you want something special. Ping is awesome at providing just about everything in either hand. I always wanted to try the 5 deep from Callaway but that was never available. Honestly I think drivers, hybrids, irons, and putters are all even lefty/righty. The specialty fairways are hit and miss and like I said wedges depending on the company.

Light years ahead of 20 years ago though

I agree its a pain some time, and tell me if you find a 4w, I want to try one too!

I think for the most part, the major OEMs provide nearly everything in both Left and Right handed. I would complain that we have to wait a bit longer for new stuff to be released. Also, I always call ahead of time to make sure Lefty clubs are available during demos.

- For wedges, Callaway's new MD3 and PING's Glide Wedges allow you to go 50/54/58 OR 52/56/60.
- For a 4 wood, you'll have to go with an adjustable FW wood. For example, you could get a Callaway GBB 3 wood and add 1 or 2 degrees of loft OR get a 5 wood and minus 1 degree of loft.

** Edit had it backwards ***

Last edited:
I had a real hard time finding LH equipment when I first started playing, mostly because the closest sporting goods store was Sports Authority and their selection at this particular store was non-existent. That changed once a Golfsmith opened up locally and I found the wide variety that was available online, and how in most cases it is easy to shop around for the best price.

PING does every club in LH. One of the reasons you'll find them in my bag. I don't like being told you can have this but not that.

Titleist and Mizuno for me, never had an issue getting lefty stuff from them. Though I do have TM driver. Have also had good luck with Ping in years past. For me the issue is finding somewhere to demo lefty equipment. Some stores have none and some have 2 or 3 items at most

Titleist and Mizuno for me, never had an issue getting lefty stuff from them. Though I do have TM driver. Have also had good luck with Ping in years past. For me the issue is finding somewhere to demo lefty equipment. Some stores have none and some have 2 or 3 items at most

This! Typical scenario is I walk into a golf store, I ask to demo hybrids. "Sure, we have lots". "Ok, but I want a stiff shaft too". "No problem". Then when I said "And I play lefthanded" the answer is more often than not "Oh...we dont have anything then", or a very limited selection at best.

On brands, I only game Callaway and Ping now because they provide all the necessary options or lefties too.

Another question: How many are right handed, but play left handed?

Demoing equipment as a leftie is next to impossible. Wedges are the worst - most companies offer one bounce in each loft. I switched to volley wedges since titletist offered every combo imaginable for lefties too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Demoing equipment as a leftie is next to impossible.

Yeah this is probably my biggest gripe. But c'est la vie. I've been able to find nearly everything I've ever wanted - it just took a lot of time, patience, and/or money in most cases. The thrill of the hunt is the fun part for me :)

This! Typical scenario is I walk into a golf store, I ask to demo hybrids. "Sure, we have lots". "Ok, but I want a stiff shaft too". "No problem". Then when I said "And I play lefthanded" the answer is more often than not "Oh...we dont have anything then", or a very limited selection at best.

On brands, I only game Callaway and Ping now because they provide all the necessary options or lefties too.

That would be me. Swinging a baseball bat and golf club are the only two things I do left handed.

I'm the opposite. Left handed for the most part, but golf righty because that's what was available when I started. Was that or nothing.
Up here, there's a pretty large number of rightys playing left. I was in a foursome last week, and was the only guy playing righty. Was also the only actual left hander.
Seems like we get a larger selection of lefty clubs, as well. Certainly see a lot in the stores, and I've noticed the new Golf Town preowned site has mainly lefty clubs when I've been looking for something.

Me :)

I have a 16.5 degree 915f. It is stamped as a 3 wood but is a 4 wood loft.. My biggest gripe is Mizuno's limited LH options. Would love a set of MP5s!

UVA...I'm waiting for MDGolfHacker to chime in here. We both know he's never had a problem finding enough LH clubs.

Serious question, does he have any FW you could try out? Ask him to bring them on the 25th

UVaWahoo:
You are welcome to try what I have! I think with the advent of adjustable lofts on a single head, it opens up more options for those of us swinging on the correct side of the ball :smile:. I have a TM R15 3W & 5W head that you can try which has adjustments of +/- 2° for loft . You can either change the loft of the 3W to 17° (larger head at 150cc) or take the 5W and loft it down to 17° from 19° (120cc sized head (smaller head)). Shaft might be an issue because I have stiff shafts in them. CAA - do you have any TM FWW R shafts we can put in for him to try ?
As for manufacturers that support lefties - they all do to a certain extent. It just depends on what you are looking for.

UVaWahoo:
You are welcome to try what I have! I think with the advent of adjustable lofts on a single head, it opens up more options for those of us swinging on the correct side of the ball :smile:. I have a TM R15 3W & 5W head that you can try which has adjustments of +/- 2° for loft . You can either change the loft of the 3W to 17° (larger head at 150cc) or take the 5W and loft it down to 17° from 19° (120cc sized head (smaller head)). Shaft might be an issue because I have stiff shafts in them. CAA - do you have any TM FWW R shafts we can put in for him to try ?
As for manufacturers that support lefties - they all do to a certain extent. It just depends on what you are looking for.
The one man demo shows up :D
No, I don't currently have any TM FW, just Callaway

I am right handed and play left.
I'm partial to Ping because I've never seen anything they don't make left handed. But there's just enough options out there (other than putters) that you don't have to go with an all ping bag.
Callaway, titleist and cleveland have impressed me with their left handed options.
When it comes to left handed putters, though, ping blows the rest of the industry out of the water.

UVaWahoo:

Hacker:

Thanks for your suggestion and offer. My instructor and the club fitter at Nighthawk are going to help me with my golf equipment. What upsets me is that if you walk into a Golf Galaxy or a Golfsmith, one will see a wall full of right handed equipment, but there will be a sign saying "Lefties" with only a handful of clubs. A right handed golfer can walk in and leave with just about anything they wanted. Nine times out of ten, the left handed must order it.

A couple of years or so ago, the Golf magazines were rating some Mizuno irons as the best game improvement clubs available. I contacted Mizuno to order some and was informed that they were not available in a left handed model nor were there any plans to make them.

Looking forward to seeing you at the outing on the 25th.

Back