2015 Srixon Q-Star Golf Ball Preview

I just went to the z star cause I wanted the spin on the green, now they come out with this its perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went to the z star cause I wanted the spin on the green, now they come out with this its perfect

The z star will spin a good amount more around the green because it has a urethane cover

The z star will spin a good amount more around the green because it has a urethane cover

Part of this is based on type of shot. There are quite a few testings that show on full swings the difference is not as staggering as people are making it out to be, where as half and quarter swings, the urethane shines more. Dean Snell was on THP Radio a while back and said something similar as well.

Part of this is based on type of shot. There are quite a few testings that show on full swings the difference is not as staggering as people are making it out to be, where as half and quarter swings, the urethane shines more. Dean Snell was on THP Radio a while back and said something similar as well.

So the only real difference between spin is when you start doing those 3/4 wedge shots into greens. I mean I just wanted more than what I was getting with the 2014 ball all I really had to do was wait.

So the only real difference between spin is when you start doing those 3/4 wedge shots into greens. I mean I just wanted more than what I was getting with the 2014 ball all I really had to do was wait.

No, I wouldnt say the only real difference, because urethane can be easier spin, especially without proper technique, but there are many components including compression. I would give this new ball a try and see if you see a bit more.

No, I wouldnt say the only real difference, because urethane can be easier spin, especially without proper technique, but there are many components including compression. I would give this new ball a try and see if you see a bit more.

Ok won't be a problem i have always liked the Q Star.

I picked up a dozen of these today, and will put them into play with the couple remaining Q stars I have from the last edition on Sunday. I'll post my thoughts in here after the round.

I picked up a dozen of these today, and will put them into play with the couple remaining Q stars I have from the last edition on Sunday. I'll post my thoughts in here after the round.

Was about to do to the same. So very interested to hear what you have to say.

Went by the local Dicks that just opened today and they didn't have these yet, just the old version.

Boo!

I tried Academy today too and nothing. Wanted to take some this weekend to Knoxville.

JM

Got out for a quick 9 this morning, and played with the new Q Star until I hit a couple into the woods. My driver swing was... Not great today.

I hit a few mid and short irons into the green, and was really happy with how the ball held. This was a 9i to an elevated green. I hit a PW into a green later in the round and the ball was basically next to the mark.

22025ace3af541260364ec53ead3afe6.jpg

Playing 18 tomorrow at the same course. I didn't have a lot of half wedges and chips today, so hopefully I'll have some more to say about that tomorrow. My guy says there is a little more check to the ball on those shots, but with such a small sample size I'll wait on that.

I'll do a more thorough write up on the ball after tomorrow.

Got out for a quick 9 this morning, and played with the new Q Star until I hit a couple into the woods. My driver swing was... Not great today.

I hit a few mid and short irons into the green, and was really happy with how the ball held. This was a 9i to an elevated green. I hit a PW into a green later in the round and the ball was basically next to the mark.

22025ace3af541260364ec53ead3afe6.jpg

Playing 18 tomorrow at the same course. I didn't have a lot of half wedges and chips today, so hopefully I'll have some more to say about that tomorrow. My guy says there is a little more check to the ball on those shots, but with such a small sample size I'll wait on that.

I'll do a more thorough write up on the ball after tomorrow.

Appreciate the initial thoughts. What were you playing prior to this?

Appreciate the initial thoughts. What were you playing prior to this?

I've been mostly playing the Q Star for the past year or so, though I've been giving the Chrome Soft a trial recently.

I've been mostly playing the Q Star for the past year or so, though I've been giving the Chrome Soft a trial recently.

I know it's early, but any thoughts on how they compare to the Chrome Soft in terms of distance off the tee and spin into the greens?

I know it's early, but any thoughts on how they compare to the Chrome Soft in terms of distance off the tee and spin into the greens?

I'll get back to you on that. Tee game was garbage today, but I found last version of the Q Star and the Chrome Soft to be comparable.

Don't really have enough experience with this ball to talk about green side spin, which is where I'm guessing the biggest difference will be.

Ive been swapping back and forth from the z star xv and the old q stars and for 20 less a dozen they aren't bad at all. I get a little less off the tee and a little less on check up shots but the ball flight is pretty good and they hold well for me. Ill have to pick up a pack of the new ones to compare soon.

Some more thoughts on the new Q star from my last round - I got caught up with a bunch of work stuff, and haven't had time to get my thoughts down. I was able to play 18 holes, often playing 2-3 balls down, since we opened up a gap behind us and we were playing as a twosome. Put the Q Star (old and new), Chrome Soft, and B330 in play.

* Off the tee: This is going to sound like a cop out, but my thoughts on this ball was that it was about the same as the balls I've been playing (last iteration of the Q Star, Chrome Soft). I'm not consistent enough with the driver to say that a ball is longer/shorter than another, at least by eye.

* Irons: The course I was playing was on the short side, so I found myself hitting a 6i into the green as my longest club. I had no problem holding the green, and rollout was what I would expect. I haven't actually seen a ton of spin on these shot with the Chrome soft - so I'd say the new, old, and Q star were in the same level of performance here for me. The B330 had more bite than the other balls, actually spinning back on a few shots into the green.

* Shots around the green: In terms of spin here, the new Q star definitely checks up a bit more than the previous version. And I don't know if this is a placebo effect, because I know it's something they did, but I would say that a new ball feels "tackier" in this iteration than the last - there's definitely a bit more friction when you run your fingers over it. Still more rollout in the Q star than the Chrome Soft - but I didn't expect this to have the same performance here as the urethane covered ball. But the Spin Skin appears to be working as advertised. I had a few shots where I thought immediately "uh oh, this is rolling through" off the club, and I ended up past the hole, but still on the green.

* Putting: I'm not the guy to ask about different golf balls and putting. Other than the need to get used to the slight changes in sound, I don't see differences when I switch balls on the green.

All in all, I'm happy. At the end of the day, it's an improvement to a ball that I thought was one of the best balls for the price. I'll likely continue playing these through the rest of the season.

These are going back in play for a 9 hole round for league today. Anything folks would like me to keep an eye out for?

These are going back in play for a 9 hole round for league today. Anything folks would like me to keep an eye out for?

Sorry for the skim.

How is the durability if these? I noticed the new z star xv I played a couple rounds ago was pretty beat up for not hitting a tree or cart path.

have you compared these to new e6 or e7?

Sorry for the skim.

How is the durability if these? I noticed the new z star xv I played a couple rounds ago was pretty beat up for not hitting a tree or cart path.

have you compared these to new e6 or e7?

I've been throwing balls in the woods a bit more than I'd like to as of late, so in terms of durability, I can't speak to a ton there. I have hit both trees and paths, and I'd say durability is where I'd expect it to be after playing the previous Q star. I would think I could get a few rounds out of a ball if I managed to not lose it.

I've played this year's e7 (forum testing), but not the e6. Definitely a softer ball than the e7, even though the e7 was softer than I thought it was going to be. This is sort of a hunch since I haven't played them at the same time or looked at numbers, but I'd say bit more action on shots into the green from the Q star.

I've been throwing balls in the woods a bit more than I'd like to as of late, so in terms of durability, I can't speak to a ton there. I have hit both trees and paths, and I'd say durability is where I'd expect it to be after playing the previous Q star. I would think I could get a few rounds out of a ball if I managed to not lose it.

I've played this year's e7 (forum testing), but not the e6. Definitely a softer ball than the e7, even though the e7 was softer than I thought it was going to be. This is sort of a hunch since I haven't played them at the same time or looked at numbers, but I'd say bit more action on shots into the green from the Q star.

thanks. Durability tests can be tough when losing balls. The z stars Thai year seem to be more susceptible to getting scuffed than last years and since q star is a ball I play in the colder weather I hope it's not the same.

i found the q stars last year to be a tad better around the green than this years e7. Will be paying attention to your thoughts on the new q stars since I haven't gotten my hands on any yet.

Got the same Q star in play for the last six holes of my round today. If there was a cart path or tree to hit - I hit it today. Here's what the ball looks like.

05e73986dc9a2a7044774ca9d038e366.jpg

Also, at this point I'm willing to say I'm definitely seeing more green side spin than the last model Q star. I tried a few low running pitches into the green and was really surprised with how quickly they checked up. Spun a ball back with a PW into the green as well.

Thanks for the pic. That doesn't look to bad and I would play that ball for several more holes.

Thanks for the pic. That doesn't look to bad and I would play that ball for several more holes.

No problem. Yes, I'll definitely be putting it in play on the first hole of my round Thursday. And then, with my luck, probably into the woods on my next shot...

There were some guys this weekend that loved these golf balls during testing.

7a0e3a36d6bfbfe5769f045a4263c596.jpg

Back