Course opening hole - what do you prefer?

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 (WHS)
What is your preferred opening hole and your reason for this?

Par 3, par 4 or par 5

For me it depends on whether I have had a chance to warm up on a range before the first tee shot of the day. If I have been to the range first I don't have any particular preference, but my home course starts with a par 4 that doglegs right and is a nice start as it gives you a chance to hit an iron off the tee to the corner, followed by anything from a 9i to wedge depending on how tight you get to the corner

I think a par 3 opening hole can be tricky and a long par 4 means you have to hit a good shot to have a chance of reaching the green. A par 5 could be a nice start as a less than perfect tee shot would hopefully not mean you can't reach the green in 3 shots still

So what would you prefer for your first tee shot?

Par 5, can still be "off" for a few shots and manage a par.

Par 4 , Preferably with a slight turn/dog leg to the left.

I like a mid to short par 4 to start.
I like the feeling that the course isn't trying to beat me up before I really get started.

I do hate first hole par 3's though.

I love starting my day on a Par 5

Mid length, wide open par 4. Get some confidence, start the round off correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Par 5, can still be "off" for a few shots and manage a par.
Ditto, it's nice to have a cushion to start.

But I will say par 3 is a close second, everytime I've started on a par 3 in a scramble has always felt like a nice warmup!

Straight, wide, and relatively short part 4.

Short par 3 FTW

Something easy. A medium length par 4 seems to suit me well enough.

Par 5...better opp for a good start and get the head started off right.

Prefer a straight away, manageable par 4, something easy to start the day, maybe build some confidence. One of the better courses I seen do this was Blue Heron Pines in NJ - great short par 4 that you could get your round started the right way.

If I owned a course I'd have the architect start with a Par 5 to get people off, not jam up the course. I'd also delay the first par 3 until the 4th or 5th hole to ensure good time flow and pace.

A medium length par 4 with a slight dogleg right.

A medium length par 4 with a slight dogleg right.

My home course would suit you. 5/6i off the tee depending on the wind to the flat area of the dogleg followed by a 9i or wedge to a 2 tier green protected by bunkers short right and left

A par 4 that's short enough for me to use 3 wood off the tee so I can ease into the driver.

My home course is a downhill 425 and very wide par 4. I like it for a starting hole since it has a good chance of recovery for that first 'breakfast ball'

Par 5's are always good to start with, my course starts with a short par 5 so its a bonus. A slightly errant tee shot and one has that extra shot to manage a par.

Easy Par 4 or 5.

Par 4. I like having par 5s to look forward to. Starting with a par 3 is just...creepy.

Par 4. I can hit less than driver out of the gate until I'm warmed up a little. I don't go the range. I get out of the car/truck, load the clubs, one or two practice swings and go.

Par 4. That way I am not swinging for the fences right out of the first box trying to get there in two. All my birdie holes are par 5 and short threes. Everything else I am for center of green and hopefully two putt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

This is an interesting question. My Thursday night league alternates between the par 5 first and the par 4 tenth week to week; and I never seem to get a par on either. I think I want to say a short to mid par 4.

I prefer a par 4 where I don't have to hit driver. Something with an easy tee shot. Outside of a shotgun start, I don't think I've ever played a course with a par 3 to open with. I prefer to 'save' the par 5's for later as they tend to be better scoring chances.

I like a nice wide open par 5 or a short par 4. Basically, something that doesn't demand 2 great shots to make par.

Mid length par 4, 380-400 yards. I want a chance to use my breakfast ball with the driver if necessary. I hate short par 4s that take driver out of your hands for the first hole.

Back