RIP Justin Wilson

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
Love all sorts of Auto Racing so it was great sadness to hear the news of Justin Wilson passing away from injuries suffered at Pocono Indy Race yesterday. He was 37 and had 2 little girls. Say a prayer for him and his family tonight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440468993.709170.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not know who this is but I wish his family peace and love.

That's sad to hear. Thoughts out to his family.

Saw the footage last night. So sad. God Bless.

JM

Indy car driver that got hit in the head with the nose cap from another car during the race this weekend
Wow, so sorry for his family. What a freak thing to happen.

Thoughts and prayers out to his family. I have always been amazed with these guys. To fly around the course with minimal protection around the drivers head and the force they must feel on their head for the entire race. Such a tragic event.

This stinks. Not to even really be involved in the accident and still catch it really sucks.

I hate when racers perish doing what we consider entertainment.

Just terrible, Hate it .

Such a scary sport. Hope that he went peacefully.

Man sorry to hear he passed. Im glad Tony Stewart flew the familly to be at his bedside so they had some time with him beforehand.

Such a sad tragedy.

Terrible.

Goes to show how lucky Felipe Massa was when he got hit in the head with the spring.

It's an inherently dangerous sport, so it's pretty amazing that more people don't die doing it.

With that said, the idea that cockpit canopies should not be used because "tradition" is a lame excuse. If there is a serious safety concern against the use of cockpits, that's one thing ... but for tradition? Whatever.

It's an inherently dangerous sport, so it's pretty amazing that more people don't die doing it.

With that said, the idea that cockpit canopies should not be used because "tradition" is a lame excuse. If there is a serious safety concern against the use of cockpits, that's one thing ... but for tradition? Whatever.

I think the safety concern is being able to exit the car in case of a fire. But I am with you, it's time for something to be done. The last 2 deaths could have possibly been avoided, and Wilson's seems like it would have definitely been avoided. I don't think tradition has been the main reason for no canopy.

Being in the industry you always hold your breath when you see any sort of wreck.You just never know what going to happen.

Sad story. Id bet that Indycars will have cockpit canopies because of this. There was also another crash a year or 2 ago where another driver's car hit the fence, went airborne and the driver's head hit one of the poles in the fence.
I know that theres been talk in the past about Indycar and F1 going to cockpit canopies in an attempt to help protect drivers, Id say for Indycar at least, this puts that in motion.

Sad story. Id bet that Indycars will have cockpit canopies because of this. There was also another crash a year or 2 ago where another driver's car hit the fence, went airborne and the driver's head hit one of the poles in the fence.
I know that theres been talk in the past about Indycar and F1 going to cockpit canopies in an attempt to help protect drivers, Id say for Indycar at least, this puts that in motion.
That was Dan Wheldon in 2011 I believe.

While the 2 most recent fatalities have been in Indycar, I would think that implementing cockpit canopies would have to be led by F1 mainly because there is so much money in F1 as compared to Indycar, it probably can't occur with Indycar leading the change.

I do wonder how the cars that race in the 24 hour races (LeMans, Daytona) can have cockpit canopies and why that couldn't be adapted to F1/Indycar.

Its only a matter of time. I doubt there is a technical reason this couldn't be implemented..

Its only a matter of time. I doubt there is a technical reason this couldn't be implemented..

While the 2 most recent fatalities have been in Indycar, I would think that implementing cockpit canopies would have to be led by F1 mainly because there is so much money in F1 as compared to Indycar, it probably can't occur with Indycar leading the change.

I do wonder how the cars that race in the 24 hour races (LeMans, Daytona) can have cockpit canopies and why that couldn't be adapted to F1/Indycar.
My understanding is 2018 is the next year it could be implemented with the chassis change. I can't imagine the money would be too huge.

And I believe F1 had a similar fatality in the past year or so.

So sad and sorry for the love ones who are suffering

Biggest issue with canopies on these cars would be the driver has little control in getting out in the event of a wreck..... If there was a fire or something happens to compromise the cockpit it would be almost impossible to get the driver out

A wife and 2 kids left behind. That is gut wrenching

I've no idea whether canopies will be introduced into IndyCar, nor do I particularly care, but they won't be introduced into F1, nor do they need to be IMO. The problem with IndyCar is that run at higher speeds for a lot longer, they are tightly bunched generally and there is absolutely zero run off when they leave the track. It's extremely sad though that last 2 fatalities in IndyCar have been English.

Back