How To Put Tape Under Grip To Add Thickness?

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
I've read a ton about people adding extra wraps of tape to increase the thickness of the grips, but still not sure how to put the tape on.

Do I lay the tape on vertically down the shaft like normal & just add several layers or do I wrap the base layers around the shaft in a spiral & then put the last layer on vertically down the shaft?

I do it vertically just like adding an additional piece.

I also do it vertically. I usually just use painters tape underneath and depending on the grip put 1 or 2 layers than put the grip tape on over the top of that.

Last edited:
Can do it either way but will have more consistency with vertical pieces. Obviously, vertical will also keep the build up the same throughout as if you start going spiral you may accidentally build up a section a little more than another.

I do it vertically to keep it consistent. I also use regular masking tape or painters tape so as not to waste the good double sided stuff when its not needed

I also go vertical with mine, both build up and two-sided. I use blue painter's tape for my build up layer(s) to make it a little easier to pull off when changing grips.

I've read a ton about people adding extra wraps of tape to increase the thickness of the grips, but still not sure how to put the tape on.

Do I lay the tape on vertically down the shaft like normal & just add several layers or do I wrap the base layers around the shaft in a spiral & then put the last layer on vertically down the shaft?

I do vertical and change where the seam is on each layer so that "overlap" doesn't build up in just one place. For me this is important as I put as many as 10 layers of tape on my grips.

For my grips, Pure Pro Standard built up to midsize with no taper, I put 4 wraps of 3m masking full size of grip. I then measure 3" down from the top and put a mark there. I then put 4 more marks down the shaft 1/2" spaced apart from the first. I then put another layer on starting from the mark towards the bottom of the shaft and working my way up to the 3" line. I then put one more full wrap over everything, this will be either my double sided layer or just another masking layer if I'm using air to blow on the grip.

If you're going to add tape, be sure you end up with the final grip diameter you want.

If the shaft butt diameter and the grip core size match, then a standard grip will have an OD of 0.90" with one layer of grip tape, and a midsize grip will be 0.96" with the single layer of tape.

But things get complicated if the butt diameter is bigger than the core size. If the two sizes are close, it won;t matter much. But if they differ by, say, 0.05", it could matter.

The smaller core will stretch over the larger butt and the grip wall will get thinner, reducing the grip diameter by a little. Here are two examples.

A regular grip is 0.90". If the core size is 0.58", the wall thickness is 0.16". One a 0.60" butt, you might expect the diameter to be 0.6" + 0.16" + 0.16" = 0.92". However, the wall stretches and the actual diameter is 0.913" or about one extra thickness - not wrap - of painter's tape.

Now put that same grip on a 0.65" butt and in theory the grip diameter will be 0.97" - a little bigger than midsize. But because the wall stretches, the actual diameter is 0.947", or about one wrap less than midsize, or four wraps larger than regular.

I learned this the hard way when I had midsize grips installed on my Mashie hybrid with a 0.65" butt and I wound up with an actual grip diameter of 1.004" instead of 0.96".

I have a spreadsheet I use to figure this out, and I would be happy to provide a copy - or run the numbers - to any fellow traveling geeks out there.

Can do it either way but will have more consistency with vertical pieces. Obviously, vertical will also keep the build up the same throughout as if you start going spiral you may accidentally build up a section a little more than another.

I agree. I like an extra wrap under my right hand and I go vertical. I just use masking tape or painters tape for the build up.

If you're going to add tape, be sure you end up with the final grip diameter you want.

If the shaft butt diameter and the grip core size match, then a standard grip will have an OD of 0.90" with one layer of grip tape, and a midsize grip will be 0.96" with the single layer of tape.

But things get complicated if the butt diameter is bigger than the core size. If the two sizes are close, it won;t matter much. But if they differ by, say, 0.05", it could matter.

The smaller core will stretch over the larger butt and the grip wall will get thinner, reducing the grip diameter by a little. Here are two examples.

A regular grip is 0.90". If the core size is 0.58", the wall thickness is 0.16". One a 0.60" butt, you might expect the diameter to be 0.6" + 0.16" + 0.16" = 0.92". However, the wall stretches and the actual diameter is 0.913" or about one extra thickness - not wrap - of painter's tape.

Now put that same grip on a 0.65" butt and in theory the grip diameter will be 0.97" - a little bigger than midsize. But because the wall stretches, the actual diameter is 0.947", or about one wrap less than midsize, or four wraps larger than regular.

I learned this the hard way when I had midsize grips installed on my Mashie hybrid with a 0.65" butt and I wound up with an actual grip diameter of 1.004" instead of 0.96".

I have a spreadsheet I use to figure this out, and I would be happy to provide a copy - or run the numbers - to any fellow traveling geeks out there.

I'd be interested in that spreadsheet. Would you mind sharing?

Back