Are there too many golf club options?

Although I don't think options are a bad thing, I do tend to gravitate to the oems like Wilson, Titleist, and Ping who have pretty set categories where as Taylormade and callaway for example have categories, but one or two of the categories have a few sets in each. Not problem for me, but it does seem redundant at times and I can see how people could get frustrated with it.

I didn't mean to imply that people don't make ill-formed choices, just that I can't understand that mindset. I won't complain either ... because it usually translates into cheaper prices for me when they have to sell off that equipment at a loss.

I understand that the manufacturer has to take responsibility for providing the product they state they've made, but beyond that ... I don't see why they should have to protect the consumer from the consumer.

I don't think the manufacturer should do anything different either. I was just pointing out that people think more choice is ALWAYS positive. When in reality, that's not necessarily the case. I don't think golf equipment is anywhere close to that though, as others have said once you narrow down the type of club you're looking for, you basically only have a few options to choose the best fit from. But in a general sense too many options can start to affect consumers ability to choose in a negative way.

Since this started with them releasing new irons, I will use Callaway as the example here for me if I was looking at buying new irons this winter:

Just released X-Forged and Apex MB, smaller irons, for a demanding players option. Not for me, moving on.

Epic, Epic Pro and Epic Star: game improvement for sure, but at $250/club minimum, not for me, moving on.

Steelhead XR, Steelhead XR Pro: Game improvement, and close to an SGI. On the list for me to check out further.

BBOS: Game improvement, maybe at the top of what I want to spend for clubs, but on the list to test vs the Steelhead twins.

Apex CF16: Game improvement, but perhaps that bridge to players iron... on the list to test.

Apex Pro 16: Two small of a profile for what I want in an iron, so not for me and moving on.

I have asked the question in the past, I think there was some overlap and confusion in their GI portion of their lines, but here is how I look at it now since they are no longer offering the XR OS.

Ultra Premium models - all 3 Epic lines. This is realistically only for maybe 15% of the golfing market (total WAG at the percent by me, probably lower than that) just due to cost. There is a SGI, a GI and then a superlight SGI for those looking to get maximum speed and distance from their game.

Flag ship models - Apex and X-forged. Compare them to what Titleist has with the 718 line and it starts to match up pretty well:

718 MB = Apex MB
718 CB = X-Forged
AP2 = Apex Pro
Ap3 = Apex CF16

Ap1 I would probably relate to the BBOS as a GI bordering on SGI offering.

Then they have the standard line that is going to fit the vast majority of golfers and their budgets in the XR/XR Pro line.

Personally I don't think it is too many options (and don't think there are too many options in the market from all OEMs) and now a days even without being in an area where you can go try many options, the internet lets us do tons of research and come ask questions on places like THP.

Think of it this way:

If Callaway only offered three options - a blade, a GI iron, and a Super GI - would that really be easier to decide?

Simple answer - no.

Manufacturers would not be making that many options if there wasn't a market for them. They are not telling us what we have to buy; we are telling them what we want to buy. They respond with options for us. This market was created by we the consumers, and I think it's a good thing. More available options actually makes it easier to get the right equipment.

LOL @ "no one complains about too many car or home options". That's called a False Equivalency.

Back on topic. I actually do believe there are too many options. Especially for the Newbie. Your head spins trying to get into the sport and picking your first set of "real" clubs. Especially if you don't have the option of trying them out. How many Game Improvement sets does each Manufacturer really need?

As many as the market dictates.

Think of it this way:

If Callaway only offered three options - a blade, a GI iron, and a Super GI - would that really be easier to decide?

Yes.

That doesn’t mean having two or three SGI sets is bad, it just means I have less choice. I hit the default or only available option quicker. Is that set the right set for me? Maybe, maybe not. With two or three sets in the category I can pick the best of those two or three options.

Think of it this way:

Think of it this way, Callaway offers 4 lines. Each line provides some level of customization to the player. Epic, Apex, Steelhead and Big Bertha.

Gee imagine that ... you go to the Callaway website and they have an "Iron Selection Tool". Based on my handicap, longest iron I feel comfortable hitting, my typical 7i distance, and traits I prefer in my hybrids and irons they gave me three iron options: Epic, Epic Star, and Big Bertha OS, and three hybrid options: Epic, XR OS, Steelhead. From there, it's pretty easy to select based on price.

When the manufacturers even offer to help you along with your choices, how much more criticism can you heap on them?

Gee imagine that ... you go to the Callaway website and they have an "Iron Selection Tool". Based on my handicap, longest iron I feel comfortable hitting, my typical 7i distance, and traits I prefer in my hybrids and irons they gave me three iron options: Epic, Epic Star, and Big Bertha OS, and three hybrid options: Epic, XR OS, Steelhead. From there, it's pretty easy to select based on price.

When the manufacturers even offer to help you along with your choices, how much more criticism can you heap on them?

Because the root of the complaint is resale value.

Because the root of the complaint is resale value.

I'd say the root of the complaint, if there is one, is less about resale value and more about "did I get my money's worth?"

LOL @ "no one complains about too many car or home options". That's called a False Equivalency.

Back on topic. I actually do believe there are too many options. Especially for the Newbie. Your head spins trying to get into the sport and picking your first set of "real" clubs. Especially if you don't have the option of trying them out. How many Game Improvement sets does each Manufacturer really need?

lol all you want until you provide a reason you think the two aren't actually related. until then the equivalency is not a fallacy.

Think of it this way:

Of course.

No as club manufacturers will offer as many club options as the market demands. Money is made from folks who replace and purchase a new one regularly. Some wants the latest and greatest, some truly believes clubs will fix their swing flaws.

From a manufacturer's standpoint, we will throw as many models out there to support these consumers.

As per the complaint of the resale value, I believe it lowers the price down......'more is less'. As the new club buyers I mentioned above discard their 'barely used' club the quantity of resale club will likewise increase.

This benefits folks like me that wants to try a newer model at a discountd price.

Really? What would make you choose GI vs Super GI?

The looks most likely. For most OEM's there is a hefty difference in appearance between GI and SGI.

I'd say the root of the complaint, if there is one, is less about resale value and more about "did I get my money's worth?"

Im not sure I buy that entirely. I think some people act like it’s value to dollar, but really they want to get their money back.

Value is hard to pin down, with most toys (golf clubs are toys unless you’re a pro) you can pull your specs and compare them to someone else’s and prove who’s is better. It’s harder with golf clubs. How are you supposed to prove to That jack WAF next door that your clubs are better than his when the OEMs keep releasing new ones?

While the answer is obvious to some (don’t compare your clubs to Bob, just throw round up ice cubes on his lawn) not every one sees it that way.

lol all you want until you provide a reason you think the two aren't actually related. until then the equivalency is not a fallacy.
Saying that options in all three categories is good for the consumer is anything but a false equivalence.

Got into quite the conversation on social yesterday regarding Callaway's release of their new X-Forged and Apex irons, bringing their total number of current models to 10. Some people thought this was way too many options and could confuse customers, while others felt the more options the better.

What are your thoughts?

These same people probably complain that there are too many food options in the world.

Are you comfortable with the price you paid? Does the product make you happy?

If yes, then you got your money's worth.
If no, then you shouldn't make a purchase until you're comfortable with spending that kind of money.

lol because the comparisons I have read on here and twitter are between an iron set and real life necessities. How in the world can you compare the two?

Are you comfortable with the price you paid? Does the product make you happy?

If yes, then you got your money's worth.
If no, then you shouldn't make a purchase until you're comfortable with spending that kind of money.

Problem fixed !!

Think of it this way:

That's pretty much Wilsons approach with the F-C-D lines. It only makes it easier if you are looking at 1 brand. Looking at 1 brand or 1 category is a disservice to your game.

If you think more choice is always a good thing, ask your spouse where they want to eat for dinner. That's always a fun time.

Back