Are there too many golf club options?

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Got into quite the conversation on social yesterday regarding Callaway's release of their new X-Forged and Apex irons, bringing their total number of current models to 10. Some people thought this was way too many options and could confuse customers, while others felt the more options the better.

What are your thoughts?

People who think it's too many options are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Look at their lineup and it's positioned to offer something for every level of golfer.

It's the same when I go to the store to pick out which box of cereal to buy. There now is an entire aisle dedicated to cereal.

Being confused is just a chance to get educated and make the right decision for you.

I get that it can be daunting but there are not too many options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being confused is just a chance to get educated and make the right decision for you.

I get that it can be daunting but there are not too many options.

This is a great point.

Besides, look at it from the club pro or custom fitter's perspective: now they have more combinations to choose from for their customers.

Its funny that people feel this way about golf clubs and not cars or homes or restaurants

This is a great point.

Besides, look at it from the club pro or custom fitter's perspective: now they have more combinations to choose from for their customers.

Absolutely, I think people just like bitching about something or feel that the value of their current equipment diminishes due to newer options. Golf club should never be considered an investment. LMAO

Options are always good. Helps to get the best fit for game improvement / enhancement if a person dedicates the time and resources to make sure that is the case.

Absolutely, I think people just like bitching about something or feel that the value of their current equipment diminishes due to newer options. Golf club should never be considered an investment. LMAO

Oh I don’t know. For most spending that much on anything is quite the investment. However, to your point, considering it something it’s not may be part of the problem.

Are there too many options... YES. But that's what makes it great. You have choices and there is something for everyone. I see it as a positive thing.

I don't see anyone complaining about too many car choices, which is far more of an investment than a set of golf clubs.

Some people have an ax to grind and they'll continue to grind it, regardless of logic.

Oh I don’t know. For most spending that much on anything is quite the investment. However, to your point, considering it something it’s not may be part of the problem.

Quite the investment from a dollar amount perspective....now the investment as in "value or get my money back" is just horrendous with the vast majority of golf clubs.

Many people have the need to have the newest equipment and with cycles the way they are, they get upset cause there equipment is dated. But still....not too many options.

The more options the better. In all aspects in life I feel the more options the better. One size does not fit all

Its funny that people feel this way about golf clubs and not cars or homes or restaurants

Who says they don't feel that way about cars, homes, restaurants? I'm definitely in that camp. I don't know what the "right" number of options is but can't help but feel overwhelmed when there are hundreds (or more) of options.

I do not have a problem with many options. The more the merrier, as long as there is proper R&D invested in each model. I have been involved in other sports where a new model could be the same as previous, only with new colors. I do not see this happening in golf.

Who says they don't feel that way about cars, homes, restaurants? I'm definitely in that camp. I don't know what the "right" number of options is but can't help but feel overwhelmed when there are hundreds (or more) of options.

How is that a bad thing though? Thats what I dont get. Go to a fitter and get fit for a set of clubs. Thats what they're there for. Go to someone reputable who has a full catalog of options and see where it goes. They usually charge around $100 but waive the charge if you buy the irons through them. If you dont want to buy the irons through them because you feel you can get a better price elsewhere, its well worth the $100 to see what fits you instead of guessing wrong IMO

As long as they're controlling the inventory, which it seems like they are, how could it be bad for anyone. For those that say it's confusing, I'm not buying it. No one is going to have every Callaway offering in the bay during a fitting, maybe 3 or 4. And probably more like 2 along with a handful of other OEM's clubs. I mean, are there too many brands to choose from, because that could be confusing in the same way. Options are great!

I agree in principal that there can't be too many options but as a manufacturer I question if they could lower the cost if they weren't supporting so many variations. This probably doesn't wash though as the sheer number manufactured may keep the cost the same.

Too many? LOL

No way there are too many options, why should manufacturers be limited on what they can make? Options are good, some people like blades, others like GI irons, and others like to pay exorbitant amounts of money for stuff...something for everyone

I'll keep it simple.

No.

Yes, way too many options! There are also too many crayon colors, car models, Golf shirt brands, and types of hot sauce. We should only have 5 of each because more than that creates too much competition, confusion and anxiety for the consumer! (Sarcasm)

Are there really 10 options from the brand in question, or are some of the current models being phased out or replaced (e.g. X Forged for Apex Pro) As a consumer if you look at clubs as an investment then I could see getting miffed if your value proposition is jarred by a new release. But if you view clubs just as tools then one couldn't help but be excited at the opportunity to get a high quality option for short money when newer models come out.

Look at their lineup and it's positioned to offer something for every level of golfer.

that's all i care about. as long as they are offering a large swath of products to service many different types of golfers, i think it's fantastic. does titleist offer too many kinds of golf balls? does sun mountain offer too many kinds of golf bags? does footjoy have too many kinds of golf shoes?

there's a strange emotional investment in equipment, as if it's a purchase that is supposed to be the latest and greatest and provide for better scores for decades to come. yet car companies release many different models every single year, and wouldn't the principles be similar?

Absolutely not, I own 30+ putters and there are so many I still want to buy!

No, there aren't too many so long as the OEMs are actually making money.

If an OEM pumps out an iron in all 4 or 5 categories at 2 or 3 price points and then runs into inventory issues or profitability issues because they can't sell enough - no sympathy from me.

Back