Thread: Adjustable drivers and fairways. What the adjustments actually do

Handicap
    2manyclubs
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterPutter View Post
    Is there any truth to putting an adjustable weight nearer where your miss is? For example, I play a 2016 TM M1 and my miss is in the toe. Will putting the front track weight toward the toe do anything of significance to forgiveness, ball flight, etc.?
    Very good question! Not considering face to path, having more weight by your area of miss would move CG closer to your strike area reducing gear effect, and having more mass behind the ball would be good IMO. But the trade off has to he considered. Such as how do you react to the adjustments? I really believe people react differently to what the feel and perceive is happening with their swing. For ex. If your miss is toward the toe but your swing path is out to in, having more weight in the toe might hinder you from closing the face properly making a fade turn more into a slice. However, I tend to turn over the face more aggressively if I feel more weight in the toe so that would negate some of that. It's all about understanding what the adjustments do to the club then figure out how you react to it
    Spoiler

Driver: Epic subzero THCE Custom
    Fairways: 917 F2 16.5 Graphite Design TP
    Hybrids: Apex 20 and 23 hzrdus black 85g
    Irons: z765 5 to pw $ taper
    wedges: MD3 50, 54, PM grind 58 610
    Putter: Scotty Cameron NP2
    Ball: Chome soft x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kc720 For This Useful Post:

ButterPutter (01-23-2018)

Handicap
    Hipsters
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kc720 View Post
    Very good question! Not considering face to path, having more weight by your area of miss would move CG closer to your strike area reducing gear effect, and having more mass behind the ball would be good IMO. But the trade off has to he considered. Such as how do you react to the adjustments? I really believe people react differently to what the feel and perceive is happening with their swing. For ex. If your miss is toward the toe but your swing path is out to in, having more weight in the toe might hinder you from closing the face properly making a fade turn more into a slice. However, I tend to turn over the face more aggressively if I feel more weight in the toe so that would negate some of that. It's all about understanding what the adjustments do to the club then figure out how you react to it
    Great explanation! This makes a lot of sense. Also, you make a great point about having to know your tendencies and swing characteristics before making adjustments.

I've been hitting a lot of pushes lately that are well struck and go full distance. After hitting the range and spraying the face, I'm definitely hitting it out on the toe. I was thinking about experimenting with putting the weight in the toe to see if that would make any changes. I'll give it a go.