You're the captain now

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
THP has many team-based events that are led by amazing captains. Many of us won't ever get the chance to actually be the captain, but if you were asked to step up and lead your team to victory, what would you do? How would you keep your team motivated and accountable? How much would you focus on camaraderie? How would you organize pairings (the highly debated keep groups the same vs switch groups between rounds/days)? Would you rather be a playing captain or a non-playing captain? I know there are a lot of hypotheticals here, but you get to write the script; you're in charge, what would you do?

no clue whatsoever

I would offer a delicious cake if we they win. Apparently cake is a great motivation.

I can only hope that one day I can lead some fine THPrs into the fray of a golf battle. If ever called upon, it would depend on the event and the players I would play along side. I know that I would want to play and that I would want to build on the strengths of each player. I would match up players so that they could ham and egg it. I would also try to match personalities, if possible. I think I would tap into the minds of the Caps that went before me.

Umm... I'll let you know. :act-up:

Seriously though, I have no idea. Successful teams seem to always greater than the sum of their parts so it would depend on each part.

Interesting question though.

JM

No idea how I'd do it, but I know I'd like to be a playing captain. Very big on leading by example.

I would prefer to be a playing captain but if chosen to be a non playing captain I would accept that chance. I think camaraderie is important and it can be a tough task to get any number of players to gel. I would want the guys to be themselves and have fun from the time the teams were chosen until the last match was over. The key thing I would stress is to have fun and enjoy everything going on. I would try to team guys together that have personalities that fit, but would also have to take into consideration who is on the other team.

I've only played in two team events. Cookie and Harry were the captains of each team. We won both. I'd try to be like them which was very laid back and to focus on having fun.

For me, the biggest thing in a team event is team chemistry, and making sure the members feel accountable to each other and not just to themselves. I would want me team fighting to not let their brothers down, as that is a much worse feeling than just letting yourself down. I'd try to pair up strong with weak instead of having a powerhouse group and a group being led to the slaughter. I'd also try to match people up based on personalities first and abilities second because a bad player playing loose and at ease is better than a good player who isn't getting a long with his partner, in my opinion.

For me, the biggest thing in a team event is team chemistry, and making sure the members feel accountable to each other and not just to themselves. I would want me team fighting to not let their brothers down, as that is a much worse feeling than just letting yourself down. I'd try to pair up strong with weak instead of having a powerhouse group and a group being led to the slaughter. I'd also try to match people up based on personalities first and abilities second because a bad player playing loose and at ease is better than a good player who isn't getting a long with his partner, in my opinion.
The personailty aspect is interesting. Ive seen it work and fail miserably too (handcuffs your options).
What makes it tough is when you havent met most or any of the guys on your squad before.

Tell them they suck at putting.

Apparently that worked pretty well for Mike at the Legacy.

The personailty aspect is interesting. Ive seen it work and fail miserably too (handcuffs your options).
What makes it tough is when you havent met most or any of the guys on your squad before.

That does make it difficult, especially if members of the team are less active prior to the event. Not saying I'd be any good, just saying that's where I'd try to start.

It makes it incredibly tough. See them play a round or two helps, but good luck getting that accomplished for the entire team.

At the end of the day you just need to trust your instincts and go with what you and your team think is best. I think their feedback is more important than anything, they'll tell you if you're insane or understand what you're trying to do.

Man that would be tough. I would absolutely step up if asked. What I would do...well that's hard to say. I would want to make sure everyone had fun and worked together to do the best we could. I think communication and everyone on the team encouraging each other would be important to make sure everyone feels comfortable on the team. I would want to push everyone to be ready to give their best in competition, but emphasize staying loose and having fun with it. :shrug: I could possibly fail miserably but I'd want to make sure everyone had a good and fun experience on my team.

Great topic!
Myself, I think loose people would tend to play better than tense people.
I would not shy away from what is expected, what I would think would help Achieve our collective goal.
It would not be a dictatorship, a good leader is a good listener.
Everyone also must find their own way to be able to be at their best, one way will not work for everyone.
It is up to me (and the players individually) to bring out the best when the spotlight is on, and the shots count.
This all has to be done without pressure, mistakes do and will happen, it's how we deal with and correct those mistakes that matter.

I also would not ask my team to do anything I would not be willing to do myself.

It is such a tough gig with THPers being all over the place and with golf being such an individual sport. I think I'd start by spending some quality time talking to past captains, winners and losers, and pick their brains big time. I'd want to play.

After seeing firsthand what an All-Star Captain is all about at Legacy Im pretty sure I'm not up to the task.

I have no idea, I think it's easy to arm chair quarterback and say I'd do this, but when you have a group of guys with different skill sets and personalities it would be tough until you're wearing those shoes real time.

As a non playing captain. I'd try to get to know the guys I don't already. Even if that meant travelling to them if feasible to enjoy a round and get to know them.

The prep thing I'd entirely individual. Some guys are able to and will put in hundreds of hours leading up to the event. That's great I'd keep track of their progress and encourage.

Others my have very limited time. I'd tell them that's fine. Make the most of what time you do have. But don't sacrifice your job, family or health trying to keep up with others. Do what works for you and show up ready to give an honest effort and that's all anyone can ask for.

Pairings I would definitely take request. Try to find a good fit.

I'd play it by ear as to keeping the same all the way through or switching it up.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Actively listen
Let the guys be themselves
Stress a few key points (short game for example)
Understand what is needed and expected of me/them "off the course" - this is an area where I failed previously
Reiterate the importance of fun

And I'm sure there is more.....

For the record this is much harder than you can imagine and I applaud the people who have done this more successfully than I did.

While you may have a hand in it (draft style), you don't have much control over who is on your team, and undoubtedly you are going to end up with guys that you have not met yet beyond some brief forum interaction. That being said, you make the best decisions you can on personalities and playing potential based on what you do know. In many cases, you have to manage guys who don't understand what is expected of them, how to behave at events (not an issue for my team at least), what the events represent, or maybe even what the THP community is all about. Everyone harps on the guys who do their event and leave, so engagement to make them invested in the community never leaves the corner of your mind. You are always going to have needy team members and ones that require no hand holding...all the while, if you are a playing captain, you are trying to put in the work yourself to get to where your game needs to be. I think being a non-playing captain would be a lot of fun.

You can and will talk yourself around in circles when it comes to pairings, and in the end, it's overblown because you have no idea who you are going to draw...and it's largely the luck of the draw. I did pair a strong team, two mid teams, and a perceived weak team. Due to the draws and play, the "weak" team overachieved and took 1 1/2 of 5 points while my mid teams were drawn against very tough opposition. Maybe in hindsight I would split up my top team, but I don't like the top/bottom strategy because if your top guys can't get the point your pretty much sunk anyway. For us, I liked the keep them together strategy for personality purposes as well as the way the games matched up, but again, that is subject to the team composition.

I am grateful to have had the opportunity, learned a lot about myself, but wouldn't want the task again.

It's tough to follow a post by my buddy Donne as I would walk the plank for him on any ole team. Anyways I'm a person that loves to encourage others. If I see someone having a bad day, I will do my best to lift them up and get some pep in their step. Back in the days when I played three sport high school ball I saw how teams were formed and skills were developed. It's cool to see how the good coaches take players and help them grow into champions. Not everybody can win the big one but you can make them think they can. It's all about building a fire in the gut and no matter what happens, good or bad, you keep encouraging and looking to be the best.

If I were a captain I would find my players weaknesses and have someone more skilled help them resolved what can be and then forget about the rest. You're not going to make a rat into a prize rabbit over night. Rats don't hop that high that quick so you have to work with whats available. I do know you can take someone who has rat skills and encourage them to be a large Jack arse rabbit because they believe they can get er done. I've found it's not always about the level of play but the heart in the competitor. Being a captain is bringing out that competitor and teach him how to fight until no fight is left. Teams that are made into champions overcome bad situations.

I would love to play on my team and help with the arse whuppings about to happen. We will get it done and I expect no less. Will we have fun, that's gonna happen but in the process we are going to leave it all on the table. :bomb:

I want to play. A captain leads by example and I want to show my team that I'm putting the work in and I want them to do it as well. Win or lose, we would have a blast.

I'd do it the same way I did it the other two times. No regrets here. You can't always win, but you can make sure everybody has a good time.

Back