jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
I like to tinker around and change my own shafts and find with some heads that even though it is the proper size ferrule for the shaft it does not fit the head flush on the outside. I see Golfworks sells a linen belt that is suppose to work and saw something like this when we were at Ben Hogan.

Has anyone used a linen belt to blend /smooth out ferrules? I have been wanting an excuse to buy a small belt sander for the work bench and this could be it.

Yep. Linen belt to do the majority of work if theres a lot to take off. Then a lint free cloth and lot of acetone to polish it up

I do not get that high tech when turning my ferrules. Just use a piece of sand paper to blend the size of the ferrule with the size of the hosel then use a Eton on the ferrule to bring back the shine.

I've not personally used one, but that's what Danny Le used when he built my clubs. Hard to argue with that. :D

I put a wrap of masking above and below the ferrule and just use fine sand paper to turn them down. Finish off with lint free cloth and acetone. Takes about 1 minute to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use acetone and a piece of paper towel. Spray some acetone on the paper towel, put it between my thumb and index finger, lightly "pinch" the ferrule at the hosel, then spin the club till it's flush. Takes a few times doing it, but my ferrules end up nice, flush, and shiney!

Linen belt is great and what i use but you must buy a stand to do it right or make a stand, so you can turn the shaft evenly, when you try to use the linen belt without stand it's easy to get uneven being the club head is heavy sided

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I use both a linen belt or fine grit paper and acetone. I think the sand paper method is the quickest when only doing one club. I'll bust out the linen belt for a set.

Yep. Linen belt to do the majority of work if theres a lot to take off. Then a lint free cloth and lot of acetone to polish it up

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like to tinker around and change my own shafts and find with some heads that even though it is the proper size ferrule for the shaft it does not fit the head flush on the outside. I see Golfworks sells a linen belt that is suppose to work and saw something like this when we were at Ben Hogan.

Has anyone used a linen belt to blend /smooth out ferrules? I have been wanting an excuse to buy a small belt sander for the work bench and this could be it.

Jim,
Here's the problem with a linen belt. You're going to need a variable speed belt sander. I have the small cheap belt sander and it spins too fast to get an even ferrule. Acetone ends up being a much better approach. If you want to go this route, I would look to spend a couple hundy on a better belt sander with variable speed so you an slow the belt down. Also get a club mount so you can turn the ferrule evenly. Also, I would look at the Durabrite Felt Belt as it will be much easier to work with than the linen. Honestly the best method is to get some calipers, measure the OD of the hosels you are working with and make sure to get ferrules as close as possible. Then all you need is a touch of acetone. I usually make sure I do this and I never use my sander any more.

Folks thanks so much for the tips, that acetone and paper towel trick works fantastic. I had a couple of clubs I wanted to clean up and it took all of 5 minutes.

Only on THP can you find the answers about anything Golf and not have to be afraid to ask the question.

The clubs were perfectly playable the way they were but boy I hate to have my clubs look bush league when I am doing the work. I happened to have 5 gallons of acetone in the shop so easy peasy..

Back