Callaway Supersoft Ball

I played a pink one of these I found in a cup for 9 holes yesterday, reminds me of the Lady Precept, fun ball.

I played the blue one recently, not the first time I played with blue balls however!

Have played these now for two rounds, and they have become my new favourite balls. Long and straight with driver/hybrid/long irons and good grip on greens, like the putting feeling as well

Still my favorite ball to date.

Yet another area where fifty-plus years on the links have not enhanced my sophistication.

Sometime in the seventies, when, despite my relative youth, my game was about where it is now because I played my best in the eighties, I started using the original, 336 dimple pattern Spalding Top Flite ball. NOT the popular Top Flite XL. I speak of the original Top Flite which did not disclose a compression rating but was thought to be a 100 compression ball.

Everybody called it the Rock Flite. People said it didn't spin sufficiently. They said it felt harsh when hit. I loved it because it was so easy to club myself with it. It was more consistent distance-wise in varied conditions than any wound ball (remember them?) that I'd ever played. And I could spin it just fine. All I needed was cover-shredding grooves, a little vice that has plagued me my whole golfing life once I discovered the groove tool.

Well, the wound ball is long gone, both balata and surlyn have been replaced by urethane and other cover compounds, and I haven't had a must-have ball since Spalding stopped making the original Top Flite, now a Dick's Sporting Goods inexpensive store brand.

I've tried Pro V1s at five bucks a ball and played EXACTLY the same as I did with DT SoLos at two bucks a ball. That being the case, I've just stuck with the latter, but if I had to play with something else, no problem. Even Dick's present defamation of the Top Flite can play as well as I can.

So what's with the ultra low compression ball? I honestly can't tell you if I've tried it or not. Please tell me what to look for in it.

If someone pull one out of the bag and went to tee off with it....I would be rolling

I cannot imagine playing with a blue golf ball. Did you have trouble tracking it in the sky?

The Blue is the worst idea ever IMO.
VERY hard to track, and scary when someone hits a wayward shot and you wonder "Where did that ball go? Is it coming for me?..."

I cannot imagine playing with a blue golf ball. Did you have trouble tracking it in the sky?

Yes, pretty tough to track, it was in a multi-color pack my daughter had received. I like the supersoft but wouldn't tee the blue again.

I need to get back to these golf balls. Been experimenting with other stuff and playing like crap all summer. Had some of my best rounds early this year with the couple golf balls i was given by Lord Byron.

I played the SS and really liked them a lot. Have been playing with the Chrome Soft lately and for this high capper, I don't see a big difference in either one. Especially considering I can get the SS for $21/dz vs. $38/dz. I think I've bought my last chrome soft and will go back to the SS!!

I don't know if the ball has had much to do with it, but I have seen an improvement in my game by about 5 strokes from low 90's to mid/upper 80's.

I played the SS and really liked them a lot. Have been playing with the Chrome Soft lately and for this high capper, I don't see a big difference in either one. Especially considering I can get the SS for $21/dz vs. $38/dz. I think I've bought my last chrome soft and will go back to the SS!!

I don't know if the ball has had much to do with it, but I have seen an improvement in my game by about 5 strokes from low 90's to mid/upper 80's.

I made the switch to the Supersoft right around the same time as adding the 588 Altitude irons and Smart Sole wedges. My cap has gone from a 19 down to a 12. No lessons and went from being a range rat to maybe practicing once a month. Have no clue if it's the irons, wedges, ball or All the above. Not complaining lol

I made the switch to the Supersoft right around the same time as adding the 588 Altitude irons and Smart Sole wedges. My cap has gone from a 19 down to a 12. No lessons and went from being a range rat to maybe practicing once a month. Have no clue if it's the irons, wedges, ball or All the above. Not complaining lol

The way you played with me last week, I wouldn't touch a thing in that bag (except maybe FW). The way you played, saying you were a 12 would be a sandbag. That was more like the game of a solid a <10. You've clearly improved in many facets of the game.

I will say that I never used to be a believer in the ball. I could tell hard ones from soft ones, but I could lose any of them about the easiest. My favorite was probably the E6, just because it "seemed" straighter to me. In the end though, I'd play anything I found.

The Supersoft made a believer out of me though. Those marshmallows are long, and I do seem to get reduced sidespin. Granted, I still can push or pull, but the curves are definitely reduced.

I've been using these for the past few months and thought that I was the only one who really liked them a lot. They are $20 a dozen and I absolutely love the way they feel and fly. I accidentally pulled out a Hex Chrome + today instead of a SuperSoft and thought "That felt like a rock" as soon as I hit it. Looked at it on the green and saw Chrome+ on the side and chuckled at the fact that I prefer a cheaper ball.

Well after reading this thread and also asking the Cally rep this morning at a local demo day, I bought a sleeve of these and holy crap was I impressed. I've been playing the chrome soft for a while and love the spin around the greens ,not the sidespin tee to green... The only downside for me is my chips roll out a bit more but that's something I can adjust to. BUT...... I'm getting 10-15 yards more from the driver and my iron shots felt incredible today. Maybe cause they're soft or whether I was just having a great day on course, but these feel amazing. A shot that would've had significant left or right movement with the chrome soft is all but gone with the supersoft. Sure u can still turn the ball but I love how straight it goes. I seem to compress it better than the chrome soft too and had no problems holding greens today. Very close to being my gamer from now on

Not at all surprised I also shot 80 today off a 14 hcap....

After reading a bit here, I picked up my first dozen yesterday. I like the yellow and had been playing the Hex Chrome from Costco previously. I only chipped and putted with it so far but really liked how it was reacting around the greens. I will give it a full workout tomorrow!

This ball goes straight! I ended up on the right side a lot because it just wasn't drawing like normal. Not sure if this is bad but it will take some getting used to. I also really bombed a few drives and some with my irons as well so the length is certainly there with this ball. Wish I could say the same for my putting because I came up "just short" a bunch but I can probably get used to that also. Pretty much stopped dead on the green or spun back a little. More testing needed!! :D

I played this ball again for the second time today... This will become my gamer as of right now. I bought 2 boxes last week for $46 AUD (steal) after liking them so much from their first outing. Same great distance and the feel is amazing. We have had a bit of rain of late so the course was soft. One hole that's uphill I got 2ft of backspin off my drive cause it plugged and was still where I would usually hit a good one with the ChromeSoft. Would've gone 10-15 yards more had it taken a bounce. The distance is amazing and the lack of sidespin makes me more confident than ever with any shot. My only downside the first time was not allowing for rollout with chips but Today I adjusted a little more and the results were awesome.. 3 were to kick in length.

I've had nothing but success using this ball. Reliable accuracy off the tee and great short game feel, especially off the putter face.

I really want to like these balls. I've been playing Callaway almost exclusively since halfway through last season. They fly well off the tee, and iron shots are crisp. Now inside 100yd I really start to dislike them. I never seem to get one to check up and the ball seems to just rocket off my putter with almost no feel. If anything I would say, to me they feel like hitting bouncy balls.

Two rounds in and I love these off the tee! Longer than I am used to so that takes some adjusting. Where I am struggling is on putts. This is normally a strength for me. I think it's that they just don't give much feedback off the putter? but am not sure exactly why I am struggling. I bought a dozen and still haven't lost one and it's hard to tell which ones I have used so they seem durable.

Found these on the counter at the pro shop today for $5 a sleeve. They were yellow so I said what the hell. I have been playing the Chrome Soft for a while now.
Off the tee they certainly seemed long enough and they flew well. Full iron shots felt like Butta. Again distance was excellent. Didn't spin a ton but stayed close to their ball mark, very close. Now greenside I seemed to launch them from the irons. Not sure if it was my short game or the ball. Putting was good, felt decent off the face. Plus played the whole round with the ball including two cart paths. Ball hardly looked worse for wear. As weather cools off I will probably play these more, just not sure if the yellow is for me because I couldn't see it most times till I was right upon it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Worth the price difference?

Worth the price difference?

Found these on the counter at the pro shop today for $5 a sleeve. They were yellow so I said what the hell. I have been playing the Chrome Soft for a while now.
Off the tee they certainly seemed long enough and they flew well. Full iron shots felt like Butta. Again distance was excellent. Didn't spin a ton but stayed close to their ball mark, very close. Now greenside I seemed to launch them from the irons. Not sure if it was my short game or the ball. Putting was good, felt decent off the face. Plus played the whole round with the ball including two cart paths. Ball hardly looked worse for wear. As weather cools off I will probably play these more, just not sure if the yellow is for me because I couldn't see it most times till I was right upon it.

So, Popeye: Do you think the Chrome Softs justify the additional cost??

I prefer the SS to any other reasonably priced ball I have played, but have not hit a chrome soft.

Love to hear your views.

So, Popeye: Do you think the Chrome Softs justify the additional cost??

I prefer the SS to any other reasonably priced ball I have played, but have not hit a chrome soft.

Love to hear your views.
To tell you the truth, No, they are not worth the extra money. If I did a head to head test I believe that the Chrome Soft may spin more but it did just about everything very well.

was looking for something a little more durable than ProV offerings. Bought a dozen or two to test out and really like these. been playing them for a few weeks, only thing that will scuff them is the cart path or crisp sand shot. Fly well off the tee mid to short irons stop well and they check up well around the green. I'll be playing these for a while going forward. Better buy a few dozen before they get the rep they deserve and are priced accordingly

Back