The super for our course several years ago neglected aerating for a stretch of about 4 years, and we are still paying for it with poor water control on the greens during the summer and a much more aggressive punching in the fall. It's annoying, but you really don't want your course to skip this.

We had a wet spring/summer.
They thought the rain would keep going.
Around the first of September, the drought started.
No rain until last week.
What little they watered, didn't help.
They watered just enough to keep the greens alive, not make them grow much.
The course owner is tight and didn't want to spend the money on watering. He kept saying the rain will come.
We finally got some rain last week.
It is still textured like broccoli.
He doesn't mind taking money. You have to spend it on water or lose your greens.

plinko greens are the worst. I just close my eyes as soon as I hit the ball as not to drive myself crazy on getting bad luck/good luck bounces on the way to the hole.

My home course punched them a month ago.
Last week they started punching the fairways.

plinko greens are the worst. I just close my eyes as soon as I hit the ball as not to drive myself crazy on getting bad luck/good luck bounces on the way to the hole.

Plinko is exactly right.

Already did my course in September and they’ve grown back nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our greens here in Florida have been punched already twice and we are getting ready to overseed for the winter play.

The courses up here are getting ready for sledding and cross country skiing.

Here in the Bay Area there are lots of courses and year around golf. So some have been aeriated, others not yet. Recently traveled to Oregon and did some golfing up there. Most of the courses I saw were recently aeriated. Played two of them and broke my rounds with a birdie streak on one. But hey you've got to do it to keep the courses in good shape.

My county here in Jersey does a pretty good job of spreading out the aeration schedules between its 5 courses. They do them from late august through early October. Always leaves us with 3 of the 5 very playable during that time.

Though personally Id like to see them use newer aeration technologies where as play can continue without issue. I understand some are using smaller (spike/pin like holes) and some are using jet blast (or whatever its called) which leaves the green surface puttable. That would be nice.

Generally its at least a 3week window before the greens are at least decently playable. But that depends on rains really. Good rains and 3weeks is long enough. But lacking rains and it needs 4 weeks. But I am not talking heeled but only hood enough to be playable. two different things.

My home course started the process today, they punch the entire course and over seed fairways and rough with winter rye grass. Its a horrible couple of weeks since they flood the course for a couple weeks and don't cut anything until it grows in pretty good. I want play during this time at the course, tried two years ago and lost a ball in the middle of a fairway because the grass was so long. Most of the other courses in the area have already done it and are recovering already.

Back