Range Ball leftovers?

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Today went up to the local course and to hit a bag of balls. The course has done a lot of beautification recently but they treat the place like it is nicer than it really is. For the first time at any course that I have been to they had a range guy throwing leftover range balls back into the range. As soon as someone was done and walked away he would come over and throw the balls into the range before anyone else could A: add to their pile or B: walk up and hit balls without paying.

Now I get the reason if they are having a problem with golfers looking for leftovers to hit without paying but it just seems unnecessary to me for them to do that. I often will add a few more balls to my pile if someone left them. So when I left today I gave the guy next to me my leftovers.

What does your local course do with leftover range balls?

I imagine they had range balls disappearing at a rate that cost a bunch of money. Way too easy for someone to bag them when left there, easiest way is to throw them on the range.

Never thought about that, I guess it could be a factor.

There are no leftovers where I'm from. Everyone smites their pile then goes and plays. Life is good this way.

I know a guy that owns a range, not connected to a course. This guy lives so that he can catch people trying to steal his range balls. He really cracks me up. He has cameras on every station on his range and will gladly call Johny Law on anyone that attempts at add to their shag ball collection by taking one or more of his balls. I have no issues with this as theft is theft, but he'd probably have more customers (and profits) if he hadn't called the police on 50% of his customers.

Knowing how he is (end even being a half friend of his) I regularly mess with him by closely examining a ball, smiling at his cameras, and pretending to pocket it. He's come out of the booth many times spitting mad at me and demanding I empty my pockets. I can't get him to bite on this anymore but in the past I always laughed my butt off at him over this.

Range I go to just leaves em sit for the next person to use. I’ve left some before, and also grabbed hit someone with else’s leftovers when I just wanted a few more shots.

Depends on my mood. If I see the vultures or seagulls out there lurking i'll go out of my way to clean up all left over range balls including those within a couple step distance of the mats. If there is a parent with their kid i'll drop them off to them or one of the regulars who stops by and always pays for balls.

We have tournaments every month and as part of the tournament they get complimentary range balls. We have a couple of guys who show up every week and try to step into the bays where we have the balls set up and act like they are part of the tournament. They get upset when I tell them this section of the range is closed for tournament players only. The huff and puff and storm off and sit in their car waiting for the opportunity to swoop in once the tournament is off and hit the left over balls which we pick up or throw deeper down the range.

Funny thing is that if they would just come up and say, "Hey would you mind if I hit the left over golf balls", I'd probably let them. I just hate the being sneaky about it and acting like it's their right to hit them.

We leave them where they are. Most of the people who hit the extras are usually players that have bought balls on their own. For someone to go onto our grass range and hit balls that are left over, they would be making a special effort to do so. Not saying it doesn't happen. But it's not the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always piles of balls at my range despite the balls not being free. It’s usually from pass holders like me that only want to hit 20 or so balls to warm up but only can grab a bucket with 35-40 balls from the pro shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our course doesn't have this problem as its private and balls are just there. Hit 'me until you're tired

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today went up to the local course and to hit a bag of balls. The course has done a lot of beautification recently but they treat the place like it is nicer than it really is. For the first time at any course that I have been to they had a range guy throwing leftover range balls back into the range. As soon as someone was done and walked away he would come over and throw the balls into the range before anyone else could A: add to their pile or B: walk up and hit balls without paying.

Now I get the reason if they are having a problem with golfers looking for leftovers to hit without paying but it just seems unnecessary to me for them to do that. I often will add a few more balls to my pile if someone left them. So when I left today I gave the guy next to me my leftovers.

I work at my course and picking the range is part of my job. During the day, I leave any balls left on the range. They have already been paid for by someone. Late near closing time, I do pick up any leftover balls as I pick up baskets.

If I've hit enough and there is a kid on the range I always give my extras to them, with first asking the parent for permission.

Someone left a 1/2 a bucket yesterday that I went over and finished off.

Why would anyone want to steal range balls? It's not like they're gameable.

They stay in the hitting area until someone hits them at my course.

Seems like a waste to pay someone for something so petty, In sure there's lots of minor maintenance that should be a higher priority.

Seems like a waste to pay someone for something so petty, In sure there's lots of minor maintenance that should be a higher priority.

Yeah that’s my thought. It’s seems really petty especially since someone has paid for the balls already. It’d cost less money to let people hit them and let the them get picked up by the ball picker. Sending some out to throw them by hand is evidence of poor management thought.

Someone left a 1/2 a bucket yesterday that I went over and finished off.

Why would anyone want to steal range balls? It's not like they're gameable.

No clue yet ranges tend to have balls disappear at a fast rate, more than the occasional over the fence ball. Probably kids or idiots who like having golf balls to hit into a lake when bored.

Balls can't get into a bay at either of my ranges unless someone has paid for them. I routinely pick up leftovers and I always look for a kid to give my extras to. If I ever encountered a place that called the police over such matters there'd be words and I'd never return.

Last edited:
If I'm at a range where the range balls are included with the round fee I leave them but if I'm at a driving range where I paid to just hit balls I give any leftovers to anyone who wants them.

Balls can't get into a bay at either of my ranges unless someone has paid for them. I routinely pick up leftovers and I always look for a kid to go ev my extras to. If I ever encountered a place that called the police over such matters there'd be words and I'd never return.

To be clear, if I wasn't then my apologies, he's ok with people leaving them. He only calls the police when someone puts them in their bag (theft). It's his mission in life too. I don't really blame him, that's money out of his pocket, but personally I'd be a little less zealous in the enforcement. First time it happened, I'd have a private conversation (and I'd hope that I could retain the person as a hopefully now honest paying customer). If it continued to happen, sure. I'm not even talking about someone stealing half the bucket, he will call the police if a single one goes into the bag or pocket. Which is why I like to mess with him....:)

To be clear, if I wasn't then my apologies, he's ok with people leaving them. He only calls the police when someone puts them in their bag (theft). It's his mission in life too. I don't really blame him, that's money out of his pocket, but personally I'd be a little less zealous in the enforcement. First time it happened, I'd have a private conversation (and I'd hope that I could retain the person as a hopefully now honest paying customer). If it continued to happen, sure. I'm not even talking about someone stealing half the bucket, he will call the police if a single one goes into the bag or pocket. Which is why I like to mess with him....:)
Ah, I misunderstood. That's overzealous for my tastes but the guy doesn't tolerate theft, which is understandable.

I usually see left over at the range and if im there to just hit balls ill pile them up and hit them also. If im hitting and getting ready to play ill leave some of mine left over as we only have one size bag.

Our range is clear on the other side of the course so there is literally no supervision watching. But you have to get the balls at the pro shop then drive your cart over there. Last Saturday there was an entire bag left over from someone over by the first bag stand.

The pro also made mention he has noticed that he is seeing less and less balls in stock. I told him that I see a bag or two is most members carts that they hold. He said he noticed this too.

my course they don't mess with the balls. They pick up the bags and leave the balls alone. on the rare occasion they do come by and pick them up, I see them placing them in the practice bunker next to the range.

If I have left overs and not practicing my short game, i'll give them to someone who is there practicing/

For the most part, they are left for others to hit. Once in awhile the rangers will add to your pile as they are picking up the baskets.

Where I got it's a private range that is a self serve range. You feel money into a change machine that kicks out tokens 1 buck =1 token which is 15 balls. The range was a former cornfield, it surrounded by corn and bean fields, which sets far off the main road. It has a pro shop but it's only open from 1pm to about 9pm when the lights go out. There are no mats it all grass which is nice cut the place looks good but some would fee it's a bit remote. Being retired I'm one the range about 0730 three times a week for about an hour and a half to about two hours but I don't hit balls all that time. I work on swing drills, posture, chipping and putting. When I am played on a regular basis I spent a lot of time on the range working on everything. But since I haven't played for so long and with back issues I'm trying to work back into it.

Anyway, there is no one there I've only seen someone that actually works the range there once or twice. There are balls all around that hasn't been hit into the range and half buckets left behind. I will hit the left over buckets and will practice pitch shots and wedge drills with the loose balls lying about. I must admit I've been guilty of picking up balls but not range balls it's mostly good non range balls that have been hit by someone using their own balls for a few more shots. There are cameras on the building but only pointed at the change machine, pro shop and parking lot but not at the range.

I can't for the life of me why someone would want to lift range balls especially at this place since many of them are beat to death and are not close to playable. It's a good little range with decent balls but not worth taking.

BTW, on many mornings I've seen deer and turkeys cutting across the range don't know if I should bring my rifle as well as my clubs.

I don’t believe it has anything to do with stealing range balls! At the club I belong to leftover range balls are picked up promptly. It’s all about the mighty dollar.
It’s reall y quite simple if you want to hit more balls you need to pay for them at least that’s the way the golf club sees it. Often season range pass holders get a bucket and give half to a friend our club really frownes on that also!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back