3 Wood Recommendations

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
So I have turned over my whole bag (even the bag is new) this year except for my 3 wood. I have had a Callaway Diablo Octane for a couple of years and the club ho in me is saying it's time for a change. What would you guys recommend? Right now I am thinking either a Cobra Bio Cell or Callaway V Series.

I have practically new Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 beta 15* 3 wood if you are interested. It is super long. I just like my x2hot too much.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I've yet to hit a 3 wood that was better all around than my RBZ

Cleveland 588 very underrated and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

The V Series is a very popular option. I really like how easy it is to launch high and it is a beast off the deck. Certainly worth a hit.

Bio Cell+. Super club, went very under the radar last year and can be bought for a bargain now.

Last edited:
So I have turned over my whole bag (even the bag is new) this year except for my 3 wood. I have had a Callaway Diablo Octane for a couple of years and the club ho in me is saying it's time for a change. What would you guys recommend? Right now I am thinking either a Cobra Bio Cell or Callaway V Series.

If you want something easy to elevate, go for the V Series. It is not a deep face, and the shaft launches with spin. It's a deal at callawaypreowned.

The new GBB is longer heel to toe and slightly deeper - does not look as easy to elevate off the deck as the V, but still easy for many, and it is adjustable with the Optifit. Depends on who you are as a player. If you are high speed and launch high, I'd look at the GBB with a choice of many stock shafts, or a heavier shaft or one with a higher kick point than stock w/ V Series.

As I said, it depends on who you are as a player -- I did not get along with the RBZ or RBZ Stage 2; it was heavy headed to me and did not offer enough launch assistance.

After having an easier time with the V Series last year, I am looking at the GBB in 3, and 5 or Heavenwood.

Last edited:
I have a v fairway. It's really like a 4 wood for me. Great off the deck but comapared to other 3 woods it isn't long (too high too spinny I think) I'd take a look at the xr 3 wood.

I love my Callaway XR woods. Very thin face makes them super easy to hit from any lie.

I recently saw a comparative MOI chart on FW heads. The G30 and the FlyZ XL were the two highest that were on the chart. From a head design perspective, they're probably going to be the most forgiving. If you want to go Callaway, the 2014 Bertha did very well as well.

Note, this chart was for the Big 5. It didn't include Tour Edge, which makes very good FWs. The XCG7 is definitely a high launcher.

BioCell is working for me. They are stupid cheap.

Really like the Callaway and Titleist 3 woods

Callaway XHot works pretty well for me and have been hearing great things about these heavenwoods lately

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

V Series is solid

2014 Big Bertha. Pounds the ball, the sound is amazing and it's easy to hit. I haven't hit the B'stone 3 wood version, but my J40 4 wood is fantastic

I cannot say enough good things about the D200 3 wood. I will just say I have hit 4 of the last 6 par 5s I have played in 2.

I'll second the XR. It's a bomber for me.

I've had an 815 in the bag for a while, one hit after #theking and one more hit after the project X event and its on the marketplace and an XR fwy is on order. Don't sleep on the XR fwys. They really are that good and easy to hit b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Callaway XR woods. Very thin face makes them super easy to hit from any lie.
I second this statement. So easy to elevate from the deck, and quite forgiving.

XR Pro. Longest I have ever hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had success with my X2Hot over my RBZ2, although I need to take the RBZ2 out again with a solid swing.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I went to our local golf store today hoping to try some used ones out but no luck, they didn't have any used clubs I was interested in. I'll keep checking back and keeping an eye online for cheap examples to try out.

The Bridgestone J15 can be tough to get your hands on but give it a whirl if you can. Solid from the tee or off the deck.

Just got an X2hot 3 deep and this club just performs. Got it used and wish I had not waited so long to get one.

Back