Thread: XFL is back in 2020

#JakeNation

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    I don't think a lot of those guys that were in the AAF will be inclined to do it again. Already had bad experiences with being left with medical bills and unpaid hotel rooms. How many of them stay in football shape for another year as most were older NFL guys that were almost 30. If there is a lockout, maybe the XFL has a shot, but I personally with all the previous failure, gimmicks to get ratings, and just the overall presentation of a redo of the XFL don't see it working out. Okay the skycam and player mics got kept by the NFL, I think 1 player got there the He Hate Me guy, and no one else.

Also what is their TV deal? If it is USA or something its dead in the water not the 1 game a week on CBS Sports 2 or whatever channel they agreed to for the AAF, and they want to force their players on long term exclusive contracts, so if they do get called up to the NFL they wouldn't be able to exit their contract without penalty or lawsuits. I just don't see it.
    You underestimate the willingness of an athlete to keep a dream alive.
    WITB:
    TaylorMade
    - M5 10.5 -
    ACCRA TZ5 Custom
    TaylorMade - Original One 13.5 - Fujikura Evolution V X
    PING - G410 19.0/22.0 - Alta CB 70S
    Callaway - Apex CF19 Combo 5-PW - True Temper Elevate X100
    Cleveland - RTX4 Raw 48M/54M/60XL - DG TI S400
    SWAG
    - Tour Proto Handsome One

Taylormade - 2019 TP5x

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    You underestimate the willingness of an athlete to keep a dream alive.
    Ohh they will try, but will they be in football shape. You see NFL, MLB, and NBA guys in a single off season come in out of shape. Also going at major cities is probably not their best move. Go for cities that have no major sports teams and you might get some attendance.

New York City, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington, DC are not the markets that seem like they will jump on board. Do you think Jets, Giants, Redskins, Bucs, Seahawks, and other fans will fill the stadium? St. Louis' attendance was so bad they lost their team to LA who now has 2 teams and would add another. Cowboys fans aren't going to jump on another team they are diehard mostly. They are a year out and have no coaches, no "big time qbs" they were going to market, no TV deal. I just cant see it lasting more than a season or 2, even with an NFL lockout.
    WITB

Dirver Bio Cell 10.5
    Fairway V Steel 4w 17*
    Hybrid Altitude 3 Graphite
    Irons Exotics XCG6 4-pw
    Wedges ATV 50,54,58
    Putter Spider Tour Black
    Ball Zip/DUO
    coin ball marker

Nastiest Hater
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    746 Posts
    I don't think a lot of those guys that were in the AAF will be inclined to do it again. Already had bad experiences with being left with medical bills and unpaid hotel rooms. How many of them stay in football shape for another year as most were older NFL guys that were almost 30. If there is a lockout, maybe the XFL has a shot, but I personally with all the previous failure, gimmicks to get ratings, and just the overall presentation of a redo of the XFL don't see it working out. Okay the skycam and player mics got kept by the NFL, I think 1 player got there the He Hate Me guy, and no one else.

Also what is their TV deal? If it is USA or something its dead in the water not the 1 game a week on CBS Sports 2 or whatever channel they agreed to for the AAF, and they want to force their players on long term exclusive contracts, so if they do get called up to the NFL they wouldn't be able to exit their contract without penalty or lawsuits. I just don't see it.
    The AAF was a s*** show from the start as they rushed into the league before a majority of their insurance was even set up in most states. XFL already has all of that lined up and they are a year from launch.

The TV deal will be interesting (still in the works), Ive heard rumors of Fox (who also signed a massive deal to broadcast Smackdown starting year) and ESPN being in the mix.

The XFL is competing with the NFL, so I understand the thought of multiple year contracts. They arent trying to be the minor leagues of the NFL like the AAF was trying to do, they are trying to directly compete with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Have Some" - BuckNasty

Driver - KING F9 Speedback 9 w/ ATMOS TS Black 7X
    3W - KING F9 Speedback 13.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    5W - KING F9 Speedback 17.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    4-GW Irons - KING F9 Speedback w/ Pro Modus3 Tour 120 Stiff
    Wedges - KING Black Wedge 54 Versatile & 58 WideLow w/ Dynamic Gold S200 Black
    Putter - Evnroll ER3 / Tommy Armour Impact No. 3
    Ball - Z-Star XV / Vice Pro
    Glove - Pur Tour / Vice Pure
    Shoe - Ignite PWRADAPT

Proud member of Team Hackers @ the 2019 Morgan Cup
    Special thanks to

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckNasty View Post
    The AAF was a s*** show from the start as they rushed into the league before a majority of their insurance was even set up in most states. XFL already has all of that lined up and they are a year from launch.

The TV deal will be interesting (still in the works), I’ve heard rumors of Fox (who also signed a massive deal to broadcast Smackdown starting year) and ESPN being in the mix.

The XFL is competing with the NFL, so I understand the thought of multiple year contracts. They aren’t trying to be the minor leagues of the NFL like the AAF was trying to do, they are trying to directly compete with them.

Directly competing with them wont work 1 you don't have the talent, 2 you wont have the money, 3 you are in the offseason so they understand that they really cant compete. Long term contracts from the get go is not smart it will keep potential future NFL guys away, and have you signing 30+ year old RB on his 3rd knee surgery to multiple years. 1 year flexible contracts until proof of concept is the smart way to go. The NFL will not allow their players to sign to play in the XFL in the off season and during the hold out if there is one they will try and poach players but have long, multi year contracts(which they wont sign). Fox would put it on FS1 which isn't terrible, but I doubt they put it on the weekend nights and cut off Simpsons and other programs. ESPN could work since they will need something to help them as the bleed viewers. We have seen this multiple times and not once ever has it worked. The best shot was back in the day with the USFL and well that got blown up too.
    WITB

Dirver Bio Cell 10.5
    Fairway V Steel 4w 17*
    Irons Exotics XCG6 4-pw
    Wedges ATV 50,54,58
    Putter Spider Tour Black
    Ball Zip/DUO
    coin ball marker

Nastiest Hater
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    746 Posts
    Directly competing with them wont work 1 you don't have the talent, 2 you wont have the money, 3 you are in the offseason so they understand that they really cant compete. Long term contracts from the get go is not smart it will keep potential future NFL guys away, and have you signing 30+ year old RB on his 3rd knee surgery to multiple years. 1 year flexible contracts until proof of concept is the smart way to go. The NFL will not allow their players to sign to play in the XFL in the off season and during the hold out if there is one they will try and poach players but have long, multi year contracts(which they wont sign). Fox would put it on FS1 which isn't terrible, but I doubt they put it on the weekend nights and cut off Simpsons and other programs. ESPN could work since they will need something to help them as the bleed viewers. We have seen this multiple times and not once ever has it worked. The best shot was back in the day with the AFL and well that got blown up too.
    There are plenty of guys in their 20s dying to keep there football career going. The average NFL career is ~3 years, so on top of getting some of that spill-over NFL talent they will also get guys who have been on the cusp of the NFL. Another set of athletes that could come into play are the guys that dont want to go to college and instead play in a pro league for 2-3 years prior to making the jump to the NFL. Ill be interested to see what kind of talent they may be able to get that way, as not all individuals are meant out to be in college.

"Have Some" - BuckNasty

Shoe - Ignite PWRADAPT

Special thanks to

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Also lets add there is another league starting that will be going for the same players the one TO and Ricky Williams will have next year. Lets also look at when this league is going to play February until May? Well March is college basketball, then April to June are Opening day of baseball and NBA playoff time. Then you roll into preseason football in August and you cant even get NFL fans to go to those games or even watch it. I applaud others for trying but its been proven by arena football, and a dozen other attempts that it just isn't something enough people want.
    WITB

Dirver Bio Cell 10.5
    Fairway V Steel 4w 17*
    Irons Exotics XCG6 4-pw
    Wedges ATV 50,54,58
    Putter Spider Tour Black
    Ball Zip/DUO
    coin ball marker

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    There are plenty of guys in their 20s dying to keep there football career going. The average NFL career is ~3 years, so on top of getting some of that spill-over NFL talent they will also get guys who have been on the cusp of the NFL. Another set of athletes that could come into play are the guys that don’t want to go to college and instead play in a pro league for 2-3 years prior to making the jump to the NFL. I’ll be interested to see what kind of talent they may be able to get that way, as not all individuals are meant out to be in college.

And they were available for the XFL the first time, arena football, the AAF, and the 10 others that failed before. NFL Europe folded and it was sponsored by the NFL. We will see, but to me it just wont pan out. At this point most guys that don't make the NFL on a practice squad that have some viable talent or name move to the CFL.
    WITB

Dirver Bio Cell 10.5
    Fairway V Steel 4w 17*
    Irons Exotics XCG6 4-pw
    Wedges ATV 50,54,58
    Putter Spider Tour Black
    Ball Zip/DUO
    coin ball marker

Nastiest Hater
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    746 Posts
    And they were available for the XFL the first time, arena football, the AAF, and the 10 others that failed before. NFL Europe folded and it was sponsored by the NFL. We will see, but to me it just wont pan out. At this point most guys that don't make the NFL on a practice squad that have some viable talent or name move to the CFL.
    Im excited to see what kind of college talent they can get, with the money they can offer top recruits (150k-250k a year) and the type of coaching talent they are bringing in from the college and nfl level. The TV deal will be big, as Im sure these players want to play on a big stage if they are passing up a big time college program.

"Have Some" - BuckNasty

Shoe - Ignite PWRADAPT

Special thanks to

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    793 Posts
    I wonder if the players will be treated similarly contractually as the wrestlers are of the WWE. I would imagine not. But, you never know when Vince is involved.
    REPRESENTING THP IN THE 2019 GRANDADDY!!!!!

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    I’m excited to see what kind of college talent they can get, with the money they can offer top recruits (150k-250k a year) and the type of coaching talent they are bringing in from the college and nfl level. The TV deal will be big, as I’m sure these players want to play on a big stage if they are passing up a big time college program.

They said the big time 8 qb's get that much but everyone else is around 40-75k a year. No one will pass up college to go to the XFL unless they already have CTE. Also the NFL and football in general is in a decline so it's not even the best time to do it. Its his money and he can do as he pleases but he just had to sell 272 million of his own WWE stock to partially fund this thing.
    WITB

Dirver Bio Cell 10.5
    Fairway V Steel 4w 17*
    Irons Exotics XCG6 4-pw
    Wedges ATV 50,54,58
    Putter Spider Tour Black
    Ball Zip/DUO
    coin ball marker

Nastiest Hater
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    746 Posts
    They said the big time 8 qb's get that much but everyone else is around 40-75k a year. No one will pass up college to go to the XFL unless they already have CTE. Also the NFL and football in general is in a decline so it's not even the best time to do it. Its his money and he can do as he pleases but he just had to sell 272 million of his own WWE stock to partially fund this thing.
    NFL and college football set revenue records every year, not sure how that is in decline haha.

I think there sill be many cases for players to skip a year or two of college for a league like this (academically ineligible players, transfer players who dont want to sit out a year, players whos families could use the money at home).

"Have Some" - BuckNasty

Shoe - Ignite PWRADAPT

Special thanks to

My Friends Call Me Big Time Nate's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,230 Posts
    This will fail, like it did in 2001. The AAF showed us a couple of things:

- We don't want to see average professional football. We are use to a high end product (debatable I know, but it's still the NFL).
    - Competing against the NHL, NBA and MLB in the spring.
    - Big one here, without the NFL backing (which will never happen) no professional football league will last.

IMO of course.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nate For This Useful Post:

pumbaa (04-09-2019)

ULTIMATE GATHERING CHAMP

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26,594 Posts
    THE GOAT!

THE ULTIMATE UNOFFICIAL GATHERING IS BACK FOR 2019!!!

Check out the Official ULTIMATE GATHERING Thread located in the Golf Courses, Course Reviews, THP Events & Local Outings Section!!!

WITB:

Driver:
    G400 MAX 11.5*
    Woods: Rogue Heavenwood
    Hybrids: N/A

Irons:
    585 Irons 5-AW with Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap shafts
    Wedges: RTX4 54/58
    Putter: Custom
    Ball:
    Q-Star Tour

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikedean441 For This Useful Post:

BuckNasty (04-09-2019), IceyShanks (04-09-2019), pumbaa (04-09-2019)

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    NFL and college football set revenue records every year, not sure how that is in decline haha.

I think there sill be many cases for players to skip a year or two of college for a league like this (academically ineligible players, transfer players who don’t want to sit out a year, players who’s families could use the money at home).

Their viewership is in decline, also transfer players who don't want to sit out a year isn't really a thing anymore as we have seen with the waivers this year. College also provides meals, actual weight training, and other benefits over a start up league. Also if they are a big enough player they are getting paid to be at a certain college(everyone knows).
    WITB

Dirver Bio Cell 10.5
    Fairway V Steel 4w 17*
    Irons Exotics XCG6 4-pw
    Wedges ATV 50,54,58
    Putter Spider Tour Black
    Ball Zip/DUO
    coin ball marker

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    This will fail, like it did in 2001. The AAF showed us a couple of things:

- We don't want to see average professional football. We are use to a high end product (debatable I know, but it's still the NFL).
    - Competing against the NHL, NBA and MLB in the spring.
    - Big one here, without the NFL backing (which will never happen) no professional football league will last.

IMO of course.
    Pretty much sums it up
    WITB

Dirver Bio Cell 10.5
    Fairway V Steel 4w 17*
    Irons Exotics XCG6 4-pw
    Wedges ATV 50,54,58
    Putter Spider Tour Black
    Ball Zip/DUO
    coin ball marker