Anyone Still Gaming Mini Drivers?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
I know this is a niche club, but it generated some buzz last year. I saw an SLDR mini on sale yesterday.

Question: Is there anyone still gaming the mini driver? Has the buzz been validated?

I need to get my hands back on one of these. Legit club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have the SLDR Mini Driver and play it quite often. I'm a fan of the oversized 3 woods

I have a 12 degree SLDR Mini and I love it! Keeps me out of less trouble off the tee if that makes sense. I use off the fairway as well. I tried it replace it with a BB 1.5 Mini and it didn't work out. Made CPO send me the SLDR back.

I do on and off. Big fan

Still plan on using my Bertha 1.5 but have also looked into a Grenade

I have been using the bertha mini as my only driver since it came out, and I dont see myself going back to a regular driver anytime soon. I seldom hit an OB shot from the tee anymore and I get to play much more relaxed.

I use the Mini as a strong 3w currently. Only because I do not have a 3w.
I do like it off the tee on the "shorter" par 4's that I play.

DNevs played one at TheGrandaddy this year. He was hitting it far and splitting the fairway all day long.

I've always thought about getting one. I've recently been looking to replace my current 3W and I see a lot of 3+W out there...are the 3+W considered a mini-driver? If not, what defines a mini-driver?

If a 3Deep counts, I still rock mine and don't see it going anywhere. It's solid off the tee when the driver isn't cooperating

I've always thought about getting one. I've recently been looking to replace my current 3W and I see a lot of 3+W out there...are the 3+W considered a mini-driver? If not, what defines a mini-driver?

Well, I would guess head size. The TM's are in the 260cc range which is bigger than the others.

I have the 14* SLDR mini and use it quite often especially when the driver is not cooperating. It is also pretty good of the turf.

I've played a 13.5* or stronger 3 wood for the past 15 years for 70% of my tee shots on par 4's and often on par 5's. Not a true mini driver but yes I love strong lofted, deep-faced 3 woods off the tee. My 12.5* X2 Hot 2Deep is being replaced by a 14* XR 3Deep as soon as it arrives from Callaway.

BB Mini here and I absolutely love it.

I didn't get along with the SLDR mini at all, but I do love the 3Deep for when my driver's not cooperating or I've got a tight par 4 to deal with.

I love my sldr mini. If I can't control the big dawg this gets used and finds the fairway.

Really wanted to try one, no space for it though :(

I've always wondered how a mini would fit into my bag. Is it for someone who needs a dependable club off the tee that isn't needing a 3W to hit off the deck?

There are times when I carry a SLDR TP Mini Driver 16* as my 3-wood, even though I rarely use it off the tee. As a 3-wood, I find the 16* model easy to hit, extremely accurate, and longer than most conventional 3-woods thanks in part to the longer-than-standard 43.5" Motore Speeder 7.3 Tourspec shaft.

I also own the 14* SLDR TP Mini model which works OK from good fairway lies, but the 16* is easier to hit from poor lies in the fairway or light rough. The 16* model still delivers better distance than most 15* conventional 3-woods, and I like the way the ball just wants to go dead straight off the face off the face with a solid feel.

There are a few courses I play with unique holes where it makes more sense to hit a 3-wood off a couple of the tees, so for those courses, I usually put it in the bag.

:D

Last edited:
I'm using a less than 460cc driver but I like thin faced woods. My thinner faced 3 wood is still great off the tee.

Not using the Mini driver by Taylormade but I am still gaming a Bertha 1.5 Mini. Its great for me. Super easy to hit and don't see it leaving my bag anytime soon.

I use a SLDR Mini. It's my only club longer than 5 iron. I just can't seem to hit a hybrid, fairway wood, or driver, but I'm pretty solid with that mini. I'd say it is my best club. I hit it off the tee, and for second shots on par 5s. It is the best golf purchase I've made, and I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

I've played a full season with just an RBZ Stage 2 3 wood. Good year

Back