erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
Saw this on a trademark site (G400 Max). I’m hearing it will be a 460cc version with the most moi Ping has ever had. Also fairway woods under the same name. Yummy. Any other news out there on this line ?

f36d70a7605701346bb1ee7670d3b752.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to its own thread.

I'll hit it.

Sounds like an interesting change for them if true. I’d expect a G400 Max iron line to replace the G Max but the addition of woods would be quite a change considering the G400 is as forgiving as it is already.

Definitely in the intrigued camp

Sounds like an interesting change for them if true. I’d expect a G400 Max iron line to replace the G Max but the addition of woods would be quite a change considering the G400 is as forgiving as it is already.

Just thinking out loud for a minute: Could the Max in this case be for maximum distance instead of maximum forgiveness? G400 forgiveness plus a few extra yards?? I'd be intrigued as well.

Im guessing an offset version of the G400 SFT.

I personally think GMax 400 sounds better. If it is a better-sounding, more svelte version of the Gmax irons I may have to check these out.

Moved to its own thread.

Cool, I posted it in the main G400 thread because it sounded like an extension of the line like how the G30 came out with the LS tec a little later on.

Actually the G700 iron will be replacing the G-Max irons in early 2018. Supposedly SGI iron, hollow-body construction with a shape similar to the Crossover however a little smaller in footprint.

G400DriverMAX10_5SoleRender-3__08634.1513970893.1280.1280.png

So, Ping's planning to offer both G400 SFT AND Ping G400 Max drivers to the general public? Is the G400 SFT for slicers and the G400Max for those wanting maximum forgiveness?

Just curious ...

Mike
MPM1960

So, Ping's planning to offer both G400 SFT AND Ping G400 Max drivers to the general public? Is the G400 SFT for slicers and the G400Max for those wanting maximum forgiveness?

Just curious ...

Mike
MPM1960

The pic doesn't seem to show much slice correction based off the weight port in the middle. G400 driver is already as high MOI as anything on the market so I wonder how much more forgiving it could be?

Dave

Oh boy here we go with the "MOI" marketing game again. Last time we went down this road we got square drivers.

The pic doesn't seem to show much slice correction based off the weight port in the middle. G400 driver is already as high MOI as anything on the market so I wonder how much more forgiving it could be?

Dave

The G400 was 5349 moi. My guess is this being 460cc with weight back and rearward will be pushing the 5500 territory.

I am struggling with this one to be honest. Not sure the segment is big enough for Ping to have 4 SKUs

Good for them. We are so often told more options are good for golfers, so why not PING as well?

Good for them. We are so often told more options are good for golfers, so why not PING as well?

I struggle with how you sell the G400 vs the G400Max. I get the SFT, I get the LST, but the Max i am not sure I understand without cannibalizing the G400.

I struggle with how you sell the G400 vs the G400Max. I get the SFT, I get the LST, but the Max i am not sure I understand without cannibalizing the G400.

I'm willing to bet when/if we hear more there will be more info that will clarify things. The option to have a 460cc head in the 400 alone will interest many people, as not every gets the warm and fuzzies about a smaller sized head today.

As to the cannibalizing thing, the same can always be said about any company releasing 2, 4, or 6 "current" drivers IMO.

Definitely interested in hearing more about this one.

Definitely interested in hearing more about this one.

I'm interested in this driver, as well. Wondering what lofts will be offered, especially since this club will supposedly be launching 1.5 degrees higher than the stated loft (per a comment above).

Mike
MPM1960

I'm interested in this driver, as well. Wondering what lofts will be offered, especially since this club will supposedly be launching 1.5 degrees higher than the stated loft (per a comment above).

Mike
MPM1960

9* and 10.5*

I have a hard time thinking the G400 can get more forgiving... But should be interesting to see the difference if/when it comes out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a hard time thinking the G400 can get more forgiving... But should be interesting to see the difference if/when it comes out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Saw a graphic that put this driver’s combined MOI to almost 10,000 g-cm^2

Back