A club that changed your game?

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
Maybe "changed your game" is too strong, but has there been a club in recent years or years gone by that opened up a new part of the game for you?

Was it a model of club that you were finally able to be comfortable in that spot? for me, that's the 2014 Big Bertha, the first driver I was actually able to hit. Or was it a different take on a club? For me, that category goes to the Heavenwood, which actually has me going after greens with a fairway for the first time in years.

X2Hot Hybrids...first hybrid that made the 165-190 range into something realistic for me instead of guaranteed missed GIR.

First driver I hit consistently was my Cobra S3. Something about that club that transformed my tee game

Probably the Titleist 907 D2 driver. Not sure if it was coincidence, or not, but it seemed like I picked up 20 yards immediately. It was the first driver I hit where I felt like I was finally catching up, distance-wise, with everyone else.

R11 driver in 12' loft. Took a flier on a TM R11 in a 12' stiff that I bought in the discounted bin at Baltimore-Washington golf a few years back. Game changer for me - the loft was perfect, and the club just felt so stable. I hit a lot of fairways after buying it for sure.

For me it was the 2 deep. 3 wood control, driver distances.

'14 Big Bertha that I got at #TheKing. Game changer off the tee for me.

Adams New Idea 2014 hybrids. At least the 5H. It's my go-to club. It's the first "long-ish" shafted club that whenever I need distance and control, I pull from the bag.

SeeMore Big FGP and Adams Fast 12LS.

First putter that I really felt confident with and first driver that I could hit straight consistently.

I have found a few game changers over the years and all had one thing in common. They made me a better player at hte time, and gave me the ability to hit certain shots that I previously was not comfortable with. Over the years I have moved on from those clubs, but each one did that exact thing and usually the shots never left when changing clubs.

Mashie FW - Deep faced but small in size, this FW resemebled an oversized hybrid and gave me the ability and confidence to play a low lofted FW from the deck.
Cure Putter - Gave me the confidence and ability to lag from anywhere and get my speed right.
SeeMore FGP - Took some guess work out of my putting and made me a better putter.
Project X HandCrafted - Taught me what feel and loading was through testing
Callaway X2Hot Hybrid - Distance matters and gave me the ability to hit balls with a low iron that I never thought possible.
Nickent 4DX Hybrid - Showed me how much a good hybrid could work
Bridgestone B330RX - Learned about ball flight and compression and how it works for my game. And that feel could be different if I was willing to find it.
Callaway Big Bertha Relaunch - That hype is not always just hype, and that with proper information, distance can be achieved.
TaylorMade SLDR - Game changing in that it convinced golfers that technology does change and all of the sudden people started talking about center of gravity, something THP was talking about for years. Changed me personally to know spin can be my friend at times and that forgiveness makes me enjoy the game more.
Callaway Heaven Wood - Gave me confidence and ability to hit a fairway wood from just about any lie imaginable.

There are others, but this is a good start.

Cobra Amp Cell, for two reasons

1) Most accurate driver I had put into play
2) It taught me about spin off the driver and that no matter what type of shaft I used (or even what type of head), spin would be an issue unless I fixed my delivery into the ball.

The new Adams TightLies hybrids. First hybrids that I can hit pretty consistently and accurately with every time. So now I have truly closed the gap between my irons and 3w.

It wasn't my club but it changed my attitude. For many years my persimmon driver was adequate and I never thought in terms of a club improving my game, I hit it further than anyone else hit their persimmon drivers so there was no need to consider change. At that time a 250 yd drive was huge and I was consistently longer than that.

Then one day, I played with another lefty who hit the ball as far as I did, just a guy with a weird looking driver. On 18 he offered to let me hit his driver and I jumped at the opportunity. I hit that ball further than I had ever hit a drive with my wooden club, the little light clicked on in my head, and I was instantly in the market for a metal driver.

So that driver, "Big Bertha", radically changed my game for the better. The next huge change came in much the same way, when one day I played with a guy who was murdering this new ball he was playing, the Pro V1.

OG Callaway Big Bertha Warbird.

Great club off the tee and was great off the deck on par 5's. Many an eagle was set up with that club.

Two clubs have helped alot and a third may if i give it the chance

1. Seemore FGP - helped with my alignment
2. Cure - helped with speed/distance control.
3. Bertha Mini - driving accuracy with minimal loss of distance off the tee. helps keep ball in play

Given my love for the club, makes me happy to see the '14 Bertha on a number of people's lists.

Nike sumo Driver changed the way I thought about my driver instead of being my big stick it became my middle of the fairway stick 250 yards but 90% of the time straight well straightish

Another vote for the Callaway X2 Hot Hybrids. Just class.

Apex UT Hybrid iron. Gapped the iron and hybrids together, no weak yardage now.

For me it's the Adams super hybrid,a fellow playing partner asked me why I even game a driver. This club is straight and long every hit. Because of the rock hard fairways these took off, was hitting it over 250 and the 3 wood the same straight and long close to 300 with the rollout.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

My PING Ally 3 putter and 910 D2 continue to help improve my game.

Apex irons.

I'm so much worse at golf than when I was fitted for these. But, Apex irons make golf so much easier for me that my iron play seems better.

So glad I didn't get the pros.

Adams OS boxer styled hybrids. They flat out get the job done.

RBZ 3 wood and 3 hybrid. They were my first modern clubs in those spots and opened up distance I didn't know I could get. I was using a late 80's 3 wood, and switching to the RBZ I picked up at least 30 yards. Gave me what I needed off the tee especially when I couldn't control my driver all the time.

Would have to be My Bio Cell 3W, tried a good amount of fairway woods prior and just never got along with them, the BioCell has been a night and day difference, I feel confident pulling the club. I really dont see it going anywhere any time soon.

Back