New golfer could use some club advice

Brooks_Horne

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all, just started golfing this May. I'm 33 so I'm guessing I am picking this up later than most people but it's addicting. Haven't been able to play more than a couple times a week at most this summer, even less now that school is back in session. I teach and coach football so time is tight at this point in the year. Still shooting around 100 - 110.....but at times I play better.

I'm using my grandpas red dot Ping Eye 2's irons, 2 through PW, and a borrowed Cleveland HiBore 10.5 degree loft driver. Though to be honest, I don't really feel confident in any irons longer than the 5.

I recently hit a buddies Nike VRS X irons and felt a big difference in the weight and distance I got out of his irons. This has made me want to buy a newer set for myself. I'm fine getting something used, figured that would be a smarter decision since I'm still new to the game. I am thinking of getting a game improvement set since I'm still learning and struggling to make consistently strong contact with the ball. Might try to get a set with a 4 or 5 through the AW and supplement it with a hybrid or two and a used driver like a SLDR or something of the likes.

My cousin recommended that I get a set of Callaway X22's. They have a set at a local golf shop for $399 for the 5-AW with i80 stiff shafts. Was wondering if this would be a good started set? Any other recommendations? Any advice is welcome.

Sorry for the length of the post.

I have not had personal experience with the X-22's, I really like Callaway but for that price you can get something much newer and most likely get it even cheaper. You say you struggle with contact, so the SLDR might not be the best choice, many on here know alot more than I do about that, but it is not known to be a very forgiving driver. My suggestions would be to look at a Cobra BioCell driver, can be had very inexpensive (under $120) and is a very forgiving driver, as far as irons Again possibly the Bio Cells or even the Amp cells from cobra, and look at Callaway Preowned they have amazing customer service and quite good prices. Just my .02 cents

IMO there are much ter used iron choices for under that 399 for the X22's. Start with the market place here and you will see some RSi 1's for 370 right now.

X22s were ok but there are better and cheaper options around and some for maybe a tad more. Some Srixon z545s in the market place for $450 and you will be able to play these for awhile. Other options in the market place. Also look at budgetgolf.com, globalgolf.com, ebay, callaway preowned.

some good option I like are BioCell, Cleveland MT, Ping i20 or their g series.

Thanks emart, Awkward silence, and musicmaster, I was kinda thinking that it was a bit high too. Maybe because of the premium shafts or something. I'll look around on here, was just thinking that I should hit a few sets before I buy anything. I haven't really looked at Dick's or Dunham's either, try to support local business when it doesn't cost me too much more.

I have heard quite a few recommendations for the BioCell irons, going to have to see if I can hit those.

You may want to look at some hybrids, too, if you cannot hit long irons.
I bet, if you have a $400 budget, you could outfit yourself with a solid SGI set, lightly used if not new, and driver, 3w and a couple of hybrids. Bio cell line, used, are pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would really recommend buying used equipment. As a new player, if you're anything like me, you'll probably want to try out a lot of different clubs over the next few years as your game develops. I found that if you purchase used for a good price, you can turn around and flip the, for exactly what you bought them for 6 months done the road. In my early years it allowed me tinker with lots of different types and brands of clubs and it always only cost me shipping. In many cases I was also able to sell the, for more than I bought them for since I was always hunting good deals. This approach isn't for everyone, but if you're willing to play clubs that are more than a season old, you'll have a lot of fun, at a cheap price.
Some THP classics I'd recommend that would be a great step up will little financial strain-
Burner 2.0 Irons
Srixon Z Star irons
Clevenland altitude hybrid set

mashie hybrids

cleveland FL 3w

Taylormade Suprtri Driver
Cobra Amp Driver

Good Luck!

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I got back into golf this year after a long break from it. The last 2 weeks I have been looking for a new set to try and fit where I am at. I am around a low 20 handicap, but getting better. I know it doesnt pay for me to buy a $1000 set because I am nowhere near good enough for that yet, maybe one day. This doesnt even include my lack of funds problem to make this happen.
I have been doing a lot of research on different clubs and trying to find a good deal in my budget of about $400-$600. I already have a putter I like alot and my wedges that I like and are in good shape. Dicks sporting goods has a good deal on NIke vrs-x irons & cobra baffler irons at around $299. I hit both and they felt good to me. I ended up going to a bunch of golf shops around Iowa and found some Used callaway X2 hot irons that I hit really well for $225. Then I traded in some of my older clubs and will be getting a Callaway N415 Driver, Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 wood, and a Callaway 5 wood that is a higher loft. Altogether I will end up spending about $375 for my clubs. I am ok with buying older clubs that have good reviews after I have tested them out.

I would recommend driving around and trying out some used clubs because even if they are a year or two old they are still really good and would help you, like they have helped me. It has been a long process of trying to find the "right" clubs but I am happy with it so far. The money I saved not buying super nice clubs will be used to help pay for some lessons/practice time. These clubs wont be clubs that I will use for 5 years but hopefully I can get a couple years out of them and then be good enough to buy really nice clubs.

As far as forgiving irons on a budget, you might also consider the Wilson Staff D100s. WS equipment has been getting rave reviews here on THP. And you can currently buy a complete set, 4-GW, at tgw.com for $279.00, and that price will get you a free hybrid as well. The only catch is that their out of regular-flex shafts. Another option would be the older-model WS Di11 irons for $250 at budgetgolf.com. I played these once upon a time, and I found them very forgiving and long, as did many other THPers.

Just some ideas -- happy hunting!

I just upgraded this year from x-22's. Good clubs but $399 seems steep for such old clubs.

My recommendation would be to look at Wilson D-200. I started playing 1 year ago (with Callaway X18) and this spring I got a new set of Wilson D-200 and I really like them. Easy to hit, long, straight and pretty cheap.

IMO get your swing worked out first so that it's reliable and repeatable, and you're happy with the distance, dispersion and shot shape.

If your swing is still morphing, chances are whatever gear you'll buy now may not fit your swing in the future.

It's much easier to buy gear if your swing is already consistent.

Thanks again for all the input, it's really helpful. Theoverswinger, I was thinking the same thing as your advice actually...Just got really tempted to get some new equipment. I know I'm still moving in my swing, mainly picking my head up or dropping my back shoulder if I'm trying to swing too hard. I drop my back shoulder at the worst times too, usually on a par 5 when I mess up a drive and feel like I have to make up for it on one swing. Since I don't typically swing anything longer than my 5 iron, I thought about buying a decent hybrid or two to replace the 3 and 4 irons in my bag.

I've read a lot about the importance of getting fit properly for clubs, but wasn't sure if that would affect me a whole lot. I'm 6'1", very broad shoulders, and a big guy overall. Would I be better off getting fitted or would it be okay to buy something online and play like it is?

Thanks for the feedback on the SLDR driver as well, I had just seen positive reviews online on the driver and figured I'd try to pick it up used. I'm still slicing my driver, but not as bad as when I first started.

You guys have given me lots of ideas for sure. Going to the local golf shop today to hit some irons and see what they have in stock.

I bought my Irons 5-PW Callaway Razr X for about $350 on Amazon. They were new, just not a new design Still much better than my previous set. I was just getting back into the game and thought it was a good deal. I've added woods, hybrids and wedges since then. I think getting into the game on a budget is a smart move. Get something decent and then later on you can decide if your serious enough to really invest in a set of clubs. I expect in the next year or so I will upgrade my irons with something custom fitted for me.

If you just started playing please get some lessons, if you have not had any, they will be much more important that the clubs you buy. In today's world lessons are easy to find and try and I suggest you get recommendations. After 53 years of playing golf I still am handicapped because all this was not available when I first started and I still fight those old bad habits. I never completely understood the golf swing for decades. I envy the younger players who got excellent advice from good golf instructors. Only the rich got that treatment when I started. Good luck and I hope you realize you will become addicted. ;-) (But that's not a bad thing.)

My strong recommendation is either Wilson Staff D100 or D200s, or Taylormade Speedblades if you're buying used. Either option will be inexpensive and good. If you want to buy new, you can get Adams Blue for $375 for a 5-PW set with steel shafts here: http://www.carlsgolfland.com/adams-blue-irons-2015

Stay away from the SLDR driver, it's not for beginners. It's dirt cheap everywhere because they made a gazillion of them, but they're not forgiving. Wilson Staff D200 is well liked for a forgiving driver. I loved my Adams Blue before I got the D200 also, super easy to launch the ball high and straight.

If you just started playing please get some lessons, if you have not had any, they will be much more important that the clubs you buy. In today's world lessons are easy to find and try and I suggest you get recommendations. After 53 years of playing golf I still am handicapped because all this was not available when I first started and I still fight those old bad habits. I never completely understood the golf swing for decades. I envy the younger players who got excellent advice from good golf instructors. Only the rich got that treatment when I started. Good luck and I hope you realize you will become addicted. ;-) (But that's not a bad thing.)

Yep, better to learn right rather than having to unlearn wrong.

I will definitely look into some lessons. How many would y'all recommend to start with? Not trying to be cheap, but my wife and I are both teachers though.

Went to a local fitter yesterday and didn't have a great experience. The guy there seemed more worried about making calls to find out about his truck registration than helping me. When he did get off the phone, he just wanted me to set up an appointment to get fitted even though I was the only one there. Wouldn't even turn on the simulator when he said I could hit some of the used clubs there to get a feel... He mainly just wanted to sell me the brand new irons that started at $800.

Anyways, sorry for the griping. They did have two new sets of Cobra Fly Z XL and Baffler XL for $400 for the 4 - AW and a used TM Burner Plus for $150.

Might take a trip and see if I have better luck with another shop later.

I'm new to the game also. Loving it! I recently bought the Adams Idea Tech V4's game improvement irons and I absolutely love them. I noticed an immediate improvement on my game and with practice I've dropped my handicap by 12 since April. Just FYI and enjoy!

Hey all, just started golfing this May. I'm 33 so I'm guessing I am picking this up later than most people but it's addicting. Haven't been able to play more than a couple times a week at most this summer, even less now that school is back in session. I teach and coach football so time is tight at this point in the year. Still shooting around 100 - 110.....but at times I play better.

I'm using my grandpas red dot Ping Eye 2's irons, 2 through PW, and a borrowed Cleveland HiBore 10.5 degree loft driver. Though to be honest, I don't really feel confident in any irons longer than the 5.

I recently hit a buddies Nike VRS X irons and felt a big difference in the weight and distance I got out of his irons. This has made me want to buy a newer set for myself. I'm fine getting something used, figured that would be a smarter decision since I'm still new to the game. I am thinking of getting a game improvement set since I'm still learning and struggling to make consistently strong contact with the ball. Might try to get a set with a 4 or 5 through the AW and supplement it with a hybrid or two and a used driver like a SLDR or something of the likes.

My cousin recommended that I get a set of Callaway X22's. They have a set at a local golf shop for $399 for the 5-AW with i80 stiff shafts. Was wondering if this would be a good started set? Any other recommendations? Any advice is welcome.

Sorry for the length of the post.

where do you live at? I am sure a majority of us would be happy or at least I would be if you are in the Colorado to bring you to a local golf store and have you try out a number of sets to find out the best one for you.

where do you live at? I am sure a majority of us would be happy or at least I would be if you are in the Colorado to bring you to a local golf store and have you try out a number of sets to find out the best one for you.

Thanks a lot for the offer, but I live in NC. I'm actually really interested in the BioCell and D100/D200 irons and drivers. Biggest problem is finding a place to hit them as it seems not many places carry them. Are their hybrids easy to hit?

Looked on Craigslist, just to see, and saw a new in box set of BioCell irons. It's the 5-PW, regular flex steel for $279 locally. Seems like a good deal, but a little worried about counterfeit clubs. Also seen some good sales at Dick's recently. Anyone hit the new Cobra clubs and the BioCells? I've seen some decent prices on the Baffler XL and Fly Z XL.

I will definitely look into some lessons. How many would y'all recommend to start with? Not trying to be cheap, but my wife and I are both teachers though.

Went to a local fitter yesterday and didn't have a great experience. The guy there seemed more worried about making calls to find out about his truck registration than helping me. When he did get off the phone, he just wanted me to set up an appointment to get fitted even though I was the only one there. Wouldn't even turn on the simulator when he said I could hit some of the used clubs there to get a feel... He mainly just wanted to sell me the brand new irons that started at $800.

Anyways, sorry for the griping. They did have two new sets of Cobra Fly Z XL and Baffler XL for $400 for the 4 - AW and a used TM Burner Plus for $150.

Might take a trip and see if I have better luck with another shop later.

My instructor charges $60 per half hour but if you buy 6 lessons up front it is $300 (which can be used with any of the pros at my practice facility). I'd probably start out with just one, just to see how you and the instructor mesh together and then go from there.

Was in the same boat as you a few years ago. The one mistake i made was starting with a starter set. Or compremised on price. Looking back i wished i would have just found the irons i liked, bought them fitted and then took lessons. In the last 4 years i have been thru 7 different iron sets and 12 drivers as my game improved. I finally settled on the z545's and am playing at a 14 now thru hard work and practice. The message i have is don't compremise. find what you like and just buy them. You can certainly do that with last years models too. A set of TM RSi1's or speed blades are good irons that will last you as you improve. But going back 6 years with models you will find that upgrading every year will become reality.

Back