Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

I had a chance to workout with the GBB 5w in the neutral setting and Reg flex stock shaft. I averaged 245 off the deck with a carry in the range of 223 to 228. Launch ranged from 10 to 15. Depending on spine angle and spin was in the 3700 a 4200 range.
I have one on order and wanted to see what I could expect. And I'm very happy that this will replace my RFE 4W. The feedback off the face is stellar. I new immediately when I missed it and when I poured it. The matte finish was not my favorite but the more I looked down at the club, the more I enjoyed it.
The regular flex stock option was more than enough shaft no matter how hard I swung. But the selling point for me was the consistent distance I was see with every swing. This will be a great add to the bag.

I had a chance to workout with the GBB 5w in the neutral setting and Reg flex stock shaft. I averaged 245 off the deck with a carry in the range of 223 to 228. Launch ranged from 10 to 15. Depending on spine angle and spin was in the 3700 a 4200 range.
I have one on order and wanted to see what I could expect. And I'm very happy that this will replace my RFE 4W. The feedback off the face is stellar. I new immediately when I missed it and when I poured it. The matte finish was not my favorite but the more I looked down at the club, the more I enjoyed it.
The regular flex stock option was more than enough shaft no matter how hard I swung. But the selling point for me was the consistent distance I was see with every swing. This will be a great add to the bag.

Hey Panda, quick question regarding your post. You have 5w GBB and 11.5* XR Pro and mini 15*. what was tipping point that made you go with 5w over 3w turned up +2*. Also you note launch between 10-15*, does that give you a consistent flight with your driver and mini or is that higher than those?

So.

GBB HW is legit.

Le-git.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Too legit to quit?

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be lethal in December with one in the bag.

Yup yup.

Man that is saying a lot given the VSeries hwood was pretty good already

Hey Panda, quick question regarding your post. You have 5w GBB and 11.5* XR Pro and mini 15*. what was tipping point that made you go with 5w over 3w turned up +2*. Also you note launch between 10-15*, does that give you a consistent flight with your driver and mini or is that higher than those?

I need to remove the xr, I have an 815, mini and now the GBB 5w. I've carried a 4w for a few years now and it fills that 225 -230 carry. Before I added the mini it was my 230-250 fairway finder for position. I can play the mini off the deck if I need that 240-260 carry off the deck. 10 is a more aggressive low/mid ball for me and 15 range is that soft high carry.

All my data today was off the deck. I expect much higher launch off the tee.

I'm going to be lethal in December with one in the bag.

Yup yup.
JAMES MILES AND HIS PARTNER H.W. Callaway in Lethal weapon 6 ' too legit'

Hi guys!

a91d7eee9a8556aba33495d854a83e04.jpg

I love them. I will be ordering the new GBB 3 W with one this weekend. One of these is going on my #GBB driver tonight.

f612e7f66021a55189bf66e7ffe02111.jpg

Have you hit the 9 wood in the XR or X2 Hot? Just curious how different it performs from those. Looks like the Divine has a deeper face and little longer shaft, so I would guess it would launch a little higher and maybe a little longer.

So.

GBB HW is legit.

Le-git.

Are you finding any noticeable differences between the V-series HW and this one?

Are you finding any noticeable differences between the V-series HW and this one?
I've not had them on my monitor yet to get hard numbers, but I'm seeing similar launch at standard setting but with a little less spin. No issues at all from tee or turf, literally was plug and play from my beloved V-Series.

Where this one will shine for me, IMO, is by being able to set it down 1 degree for the sake of how much I love using it off the tee.

The adjustability alone makes it more than worth it to me to upgrade.

I've not had them on my monitor yet to get hard numbers, but I'm seeing similar launch at standard setting but with a little less spin. No issues at all from tee or turf, literally was plug and play from my beloved V-Series.

Where this one will shine for me, IMO, is by being able to set it down 1 degree for the sake of how much I love using it off the tee.

I am finding the GBB HV to be a lower spinner with a flatter trajectory. Still high, but flatter. The Bertha V HV is obviously easy to hit, but GBB HV seems more forgiving. Even if extensive controlled testing showed no better forgiveness, the ball flight is clearly stronger. Callaway customer service claims, for what it is worth, that the target loft has moved from 20.5 on the BV to 20 on the GBB.

Thanks for the above.

Was wondering about the club-turf interaction between the V Series and GBB ... thinking about GBB fairways but really like how easy and forgiving the V Series is off the turf.

Callaway has stated the GBB is more forgiving with less spin, with a less spinny stock shaft ... so it's tempting if the sole of the GBB works as well and is as easy to elevate as the V series.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the above.

Was wondering about the club-turf interaction between the V Series and GBB ... thinking about GBB fairways but really like how easy and forgiving the V Series is off the turf.

Callaway has stated the GBB is more forgiving with less spin, with a less spinny stock shaft ... so it's tempting if the sole of the GBB works as well and is as easy to elevate as the V series.

Thoughts?
I hit it just as easily off the tee, fairway, and rough as the v FWIW.

But, I can't talk on stock shaft as I have the Rogue I/O x in it right now, was aldila green x in my v.

I hit it just as easily off the tee, fairway, and rough as the v FWIW.

But, I can't talk on stock shaft as I have the Rogue I/O x in it right now, was aldila green x in my v.

Yes, I knew you were relying on the Heavenwood as your sole fairway wood and had a lower launching, less spinning shaft than stock... smart move.

I was just looking at the regular Rogue in a 60g for the higher lofted fairway, either Heavenwood or the 5 wood.

I just don't have your speed and need 2 fairways.

I usually carry a 3 wood, too, for off the deck. I could see a 16 3 wood and a Heavenwood -- both are big headed monsters. How is that Heavenwood out of the junk?

Have you hit the 9 wood in the XR or X2 Hot? Just curious how different it performs from those. Looks like the Divine has a deeper face and little longer shaft, so I would guess it would launch a little higher and maybe a little longer.
I have not hit either of those so I really can't compare. Took it out today, range session didnt work because of rain. Will have a thread up for it tonight with some more in hand pics.

I have not hit either of those so I really can't compare. Took it out today, range session didnt work because of rain. Will have a thread up for it tonight with some more in hand pics.
I took one swing and was surprised by the ball flight, but I think I'm in love anyway.

Just bought the GBB 3W. It fits perfectly with what I was looking for to replace my 4W.

Of every new Callaway club I hit this past weekend, I think this is the one that surprised me the most. I love my 3 wood but this thing is a monster. I hit a few balls from a tee and then from the deck and ball flights were very similar. I didn't hit the BBA fairway to compare it only because I didn't want to. I loved how this felt

Of every new Callaway club I hit this past weekend, I think this is the one that surprised me the most. I love my 3 wood but this thing is a monster. I hit a few balls from a tee and then from the deck and ball flights were very similar. I didn't hit the BBA fairway to compare it only because I didn't want to. I loved how this felt
Have you hit the 3 Deep? I have the X2Hot 3Deep and am wearing out the face. Looking for a replacement. Can you compare?

Back