Cold Weather - No Golf - How Do You Cope?

Cold weather? Do you mean, like, when you have to wear a pullover?

I pretty much shut it down from Nov-March. I miss the sunshine and the warmth and being outdoors. BUT I replace it with bowling, albeit no where near as enjoyable. I also continue to follow it through THP and watch a lot of football.

I will say if I lived up north where courses close, I'd absolutely save my pennies for an indoor hitting bay at home.

- Hang out on THP - while I can't golf once the snow falls, it's still fun to hang out here
- I take lessons during the winter on the GC2.
- Play simulator golf - it's not the same, but it's still fun to get together with some of the local THPers during the winter.

it really depends on what happens during the 'winter months' if there's no snow we have a course that opens only 20 mins away. Our season officially is Apr - Nov but I'm out in March when it's just a bit cool. So I'm really only looking at a maximum of 3 month shutdown. Throw in a winter holiday to the warmer climates and take the clubs. Then of course there's THP to get me through the day-to-day.

Having lived up north and not enjoying the no golf for half the year facts of life, I chose to leave. Not everybody can do that for a multitude of reasons, so I ask, how do you cope with your favorite activity (or one of them) being a half a year thing?

Do you continue to follow it through places like THP and being active on the forum?
Do you just shut down and pick it back up when Spring time hits?
Do you hate the world and everybody around it?
Do you just go into football mode and pretend golf doesn't exist?

What is your routine? Are you happy with it? Would you travel in the winter to play if you could?

I continue to follow the forum year round, definitely more so in the winter time.

I am a bit more aggressive than most, I play in anything 30 degrees and above depending on wind chill. Winter gloves, UA cold gear and I'm good to go. Unfortunately due to snow I generally don't play from January through the end of February but that isn't set in stone. A warm winter *could* see me out in each month for the first time.

I don't mind the seasons, and I like skiing so no, I don't hate the world and everyone around it. As bad as the weather can be, everywhere has it's problems.

I love football, and everyone else loving football makes the course easier to speed around on the weekend. Plus the greens are fantastic in the late fall.

My routine is putt on my mat, play once on the weekend maybe twice, usually solo, and when the snow flies hit up the simulator once every couple of weeks. I likely would travel to play in the winter if it was feasible; I did play last year on my warm weather trip in March which was fun.

I'm kinda lucky in that my busiest time of the year for work is during the coldest months of the year. There is usually only about a month when it's too cold to golf and I'm not busy at work, but during that time it's football season, so I don't miss golf too much.

If I do get the itch to hit some golf balls, there is a course here with heated driving range bays that I go to.

It gets pretty hard, especially when thp starts to cover all of the new club releases... Oh man... it feels like Christmas eve for months after release day

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Having spent a good portion of my career in Michigan in the auto industry, I suffered through a lot of years where the clubs went into the closet in October and didn't see daylight until April. I didn't have THP back then, nor anything like it. Winters sucked even more in Michigan with no golf outlet. The advent of domed ranges helped. But, things changed a little later in the career when I could afford a second home in the South. Then I was force to travel to "check on the house" at least once a month. It didn't hurt that our daughter abandoned us in Michigan, choosing Georgia State for her undergraduate, staying there for her masters and then moving on to Alabama for a PHD. No way was she coming back North. LOL. That helped make the wifey more amenable to the second home near the daughter. I took early retirement as soon as they would let me and moved South permanently.

A little of all the choices. I read the blog more and try to stay with all the events. I get frustrated and don't do anything related to golf. I try other things to stay occupied. In the end I endure until it is at least warm enough to play (35-40 degrees F depending on wind). All in all winter sucks!!!

Having lived up north and not enjoying the no golf for half the year facts of life, I chose to leave. Not everybody can do that for a multitude of reasons, so I ask, how do you cope with your favorite activity (or one of them) being a half a year thing?

Do you continue to follow it through places like THP and being active on the forum?

What is your routine? Are you happy with it? Would you travel in the winter to play if you could?

Airline Ticket - Airport - Southern California

Travel south for golf and hit the gym hard to get ready for the upcoming season.

I live in NE Georgia, and I can usually golf all year. Yeah, we have snows and some very cold days. But it is nothing like some of you face. I was interested in the post, because I wanted to see how you all deal with a long hiatus. I'm going on a year since my last round. And some days I just want to walk away and give it up. But I LOVE the game. So I'm hoping that staying active on here will keep me going. I would hate to miss out on something that I am so passionate about.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have access to a heated indoor hitting area. It has a very good launch monitor. It helped me this year. My full swing was dialed in pretty good.

Otherwise, I keep my options open for special outings during the winter. Thp events are a great excuse to get away from Wisconsin in the winter. I am not at a place in my life where I can take a golf vacation, just to golf in the winter.

Living in the UK we also have the wet weather to contend with so the season can end up being pretty short some years. I wouldn't say my THP time increases as I tend to read things most days anyway but I guess I may post slightly more than normal. I would say I am fortunate in that the badminton season runs from September to April so I have an alternative sport to keep me occupied

I don't hate the world when I can't play but I do get jealous of those who can play all year round and wish I lived somewhere I could play more

If it was possible to travel far enough to guarantee good weather then I would like to do it but it is not easy

If it's above 40 without wind I'll try to get out and play. Colder and I'll find some way to work indoors.
I'll do the above in between Football games.

I also have a fallback hobby and a couple half-finished things lying around, but I'm in serious ponder mode about building one of these:

highboy_wm_and_mary_tiger_2.jpg

I just have to make sure I have enough of the material of choice. That will certainly get me though the colder months...and then some.

One thing that could help out a lot would be getting into the Grandaddy. :act-up:

It helps to have family in SC and Texas, we usually travel to both places to get out of the cold and I can play some golf in the winter when we do that.

I'm not a fan of the cold at all (especially after last winter), but we're up here for the foreseeable future because of our jobs.

We have a couple of heated bays but they are terrible and almost impossible to use. So what I did was take a part time job purely because It gives me access to a hitting bay with a launch monitor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go to the range they have heaters above the stalls. I also stay in tune with THP and follow a lot of hockey and football. I may also drink a little more and sleep with my clubs but that's another story.

I follow THP the same amount year long regardless of my local weather.
I go to the indoor range a little more.
I curse the snow and cold a lot!
I would definitely travel to play golf if I could but that hasn't been in the cards the last few years.

I try to keep playing until the snow hits the ground!

But then it's hopefully traveling to warmer climates, but typically it's THP that get's me through the cold/dark/gloomy winter months!

Do you continue to follow it through places like THP and being active on the forum? I like being active on the forum all year round.
Do you just shut down and pick it back up when Spring time hits? I try to hit balls whenever possible. Some places have heated ranges. 45* and above and no wind i don't mind being on regular range
Do you hate the world and everybody around it? nope.
Do you just go into football mode and pretend golf doesn't exist? not at all. golf is always on my mind and even more so since i am pursuing consistency and getting better. don't like to take too much time away

What is your routine? Routing is to hit balls whenever possible, roll putts in the house.
Are you happy with it? No and hopefully I can make the move to a warmer climate
Would you travel in the winter to play if you could? yes

I definitely still follow THP and I definitely go into football mode, but I also try to play as much as I can as long as there is no snow. Some winters it's easier than others. Last winter, I played every month except December and January, though there were days in both months where it would have been possible. The year before, I'm not sure I saw the ground from the beginning of November until the end of March. All you can really do in those years is try to hit a simulator every once in awhile. I would definitely travel more often if I could.

Back