erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
Saw this on the trademark site.

Rumors are SGI, hollow-body design and similar look to the Crossover with a smaller footprint.

Will be replacing the GMax irons

f0cbe20fdfcfd0cfe69bd1216bdff60b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, Ping. Get your naming conventions sh*! together.

was thinking the same thing. call them G400 Max, good lord.

Worst name ever. Someone over there needs to be "strategically downsized".

People file Trademarks all the time in preparation, this does not mean they are launching G700 imminently.

People file Trademarks all the time in preparation, this does not mean they are launching G700 imminently.

That was my first thought actually, but if that is the case, I hope they also filed for G500 and G600.

naming like this makes me think Titleist and Porsche are the only ones who get it right; keep the model name the same and iterate the number designation (ie 917 D3, 991 911 and so on....

It’s already been confirmed by several who have seen it via their Ping Rep

naming like this makes me think Titleist and Porsche are the only ones who get it right; keep the model name the same and iterate the number designation (ie 917 D3, 991 911 and so on....

Titleist makes their stuff look nice too. I also really like the look of Taylormade's recent drivers, the M1 and M2 both look awesome.

Dave

Meh, I'll hold out for the G24,000.

I've said it before, Ping is completely lost on naming.

Didn't PING get a "polymer filled iron" patent from Nike? If so, I wonder if this is going to be the first one using that one.

For all the naming haters they also trademarked i210, i500 and g710.
As Richard Rawlings would say “get yourself some of that” ?

For all the naming haters they also trademarked i210, i500 and g710.
As Richard Rawlings would say “get yourself some of that”
That makes sense. Jump from G400 to G700, so they'd better jump from i200 to i500. They're moving in 300 increments now.

That makes sense. Jump from G400 to G700, so they'd better jump from i200 to i500. They're moving in 300 increments now.

At this point they should just start using a random number generator.

The GMax was a terrible feeling iron IMHO. Can't say I'm too excited for this one, but of course once it's released all bets are off.

I get a kick out of people knocking how PING names their irons. I doubt very much more then 10% of the people on this site and others like it don't know how to distinguish ANY companies new releases from their old ones. I also think just about everyone knows the difference between the I series and the G. C'mon guys! Is a different number that confusing? Check out the Callaway and Mizuno, Taylormade and yes, even Titleist websites, and all their different name and number iron offerings. This song gets as old as the one about "jacked up iron lofts".

Last edited:
I get a kick out of people knocking how PING names their irons. I doubt very much more then 10% of the people on this site and others like it don't know how to distinguish ANY companies new releases from their old ones. I also think just about everyone knows the difference between the I series and the G. C'mon guys! Is a different number that confusing? Check out the Callaway and Mizuno, Taylormade and yes, even Titleist websites, and all their different name and number iron offerings. This song gets as old as the one about "jacked up iron lofts".

I’m in the same camp as you. My only knock on oem’s is when they use the same name twice and then attach a year to it.
For example the TM M2 (2016) and TM M2 (2017). Very confusing when performing searches online, ebay, etc.
I thought Ping was going to start that with the G. Say G (2016), G (2018) etc. Thankfully they went back to a number with the G400.

I agree with what you said about the M series, it is confusing. I can imagine a seller on ebay trying to get '17 prices for a '16 model by simply listing it as a M1 or M2. Except for the irons, both years models look so alike.

I'm with you. In its simplest case, they're increasing the number, and when they don't do it with some kind of predictable pattern, people get bent out of shape. Wasn't long ago that there was much grinding of teeth over Titleist calling its AP1/AP2 tweener AP3.

It's probably the engineer in me, but I'll take that over some of the other the top names that some OEMs use. Of course the ones that have done it the most were also the leaders in the category at the time, so I must be in the minority.

i got a picture but I
cannot figure how to upload it here.

Where did you find the pics?

Looks to be around a $1400 price tag on these. Sounds like they are going after the PXG crowd.

I agree with you SC Lefty, I really don't care or get confused with the naming of new equipment. Do some research and learn what each product is about, it really doesn't matter what the name is. G700 just gives me another option of irons to research and decide if they would be a viable option of irons to buy or try. Maybe Ping should label their irons, to satisfy some, ping G 18-36ghin. But then, that would be stereotyping.

i got a picture but I
cannot figure how to upload it here.

If these irons are currently under embargo I wouldn’t upload the photo.

reps are out showing it already and this is the age of the smart phone. loohs like crossover g400 but more streamlined. looks good.

Back