Driver loft angle.

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
Launch angle 20* spin 4k with driver loft of 10.0 * and extra stiff shaft. SS 100 to 108

Desire launch angle 15-20 *

Spin 2k

Should I drop the loft on the driver to 8?

Bad answer, there's something else going on with the delivery of the club. Get a lesson or post a video on the forum

If you are at 20º now lowering the loft will help you get in that 15-20 range, but it won't take your spin from 4k to 2k. Blu is right about it being club delivery. What does your shot shape look like?

What's your angle of attack?

Not sure. Usually up 5 to 10 degrees. Play with the ball tee'ed up high and forward in my stance

If you are at 20º now lowering the loft will help you get in that 15-20 range, but it won't take your spin from 4k to 2k. Blu is right about it being club delivery. What does your shot shape look like?
Slight draw 5 to 10 yards

I actually had/have a similar issue.

I was using a 10.5 degree Cleveland Classic Custom with a Black tie shaft (for reference).

I was launching around 18.5 with 3500+ spin.

I took a chance and bought a 7.5 degree Cleveland Classic Custom head off of the Bay, and it helped a lot. I'm probably around 15 launch and 2500 spin now (haven't been on a monitor since Feb).

Now, realistically, I shouldn't HAVE to use a 7.5 degree driver to get the spin and launch rate I want. If I perfected my technique, I'm sure I could use a 9.5 degree. But, my swing is pretty repeatable right now, so what I have is working out well.

Equipment can't really "fix" swing flaws (launching too high with too much spin), but it can get you back into the realm of "playable".

I actually had/have a similar issue.

I was using a 10.5 degree Cleveland Classic Custom with a Black tie shaft (for reference).

I was launching around 18.5 with 3500+ spin.

I took a chance and bought a 7.5 degree Cleveland Classic Custom head off of the Bay, and it helped a lot. I'm probably around 15 launch and 2500 spin now (haven't been on a monitor since Feb).

Now, realistically, I shouldn't HAVE to use a 7.5 degree driver to get the spin and launch rate I want. If I perfected my technique, I'm sure I could use a 9.5 degree. But, my swing is pretty repeatable right now, so what I have is working out well.

Equipment can't really "fix" swing flaws (launching too high with too much spin), but it can get you back into the realm of "playable".
And I am assuming the change gave you carry and total distance.

This is my concern. I think I'm not getting any roll with a hit ballooning ball flight.

And yes I was fitted. They recommended 10.0* stiff flex.

But I'm seeing carry and total distance increase with 8.5* and extra stiff flex.

So I was a little confused.

Should I buy a 9.5* head and turn it down to 7.5*

Or a 10.5* head which can be turned down to 8.5*

Of course buying both would answer my question.

But it's cheaper to ask THP'ERS

Working on lessons and swing changes but until I get that down and ingrained. Which head loft might assist me to maximize my driver distance and decrease my spin.

Stop flipping the club of course would help. But as stated that is a work in progress.

What's your angle of attack?

Not sure. Usually up 5 to 10 degrees. Play with the ball tee'ed up high and forward in my stance

Please do post a video. If you are up 10* I would be pretty surprised.
If its anything close to that, something is a miss with the swing.

I was thinking the same thing anything more than 5* would be on the side of a miss I'd think. I try to be between 2-3 degrees for myself.

I have always been a person that naturally swung up on the ball. In fact we have been working to decrease the AoA. I am flipping the club through the ball hitting low on the face and getting excessive spin.

Haven't had time to shot a video to upload.

Did try different drivers at golfsmith but I don't trust their numbers.

The 9.5 turned down to 7.5 gave the best results. Launch 12 to 18. Spin. 1500 to 2200

Longest distance. But I found it hard to believe I would be successful on the course with a 7.5 driver head on a extra stiff shaft.

So. Here we are on THP.

But trackman AoA almost always above 5. My instructor was also disbelieving and initially restarted monitor and took a couple of swings to check out the accuracy of the results.

So in the end. I'm just trying to avoid a shopping error. And currently not trusting my fitter.

I could drop the cash a Hot Sticks in Irvine but you know it's easier and cheaper to shop on Ebay.

Im sure that is the case, but 10* is pretty severe and by pretty severe, I mean crazy high.
You are also using windows of angle that are pretty darn large.

A 5 degree difference in angle of attack like you are discussing is astronomical in terms of changes.
So is the 6 degree window of launch angle

You really just need to post a video for everyone to see.

I'd say go ahead and loft down to 8.5º and go to the range. If you are successful on the range with that you can be successful on the course with that. 8.5 would likely be too low for someone hitting down on the ball, but that isn't you.

Second a shaft won't fix a swing flaw. I have an extra stiff black tie I put in sometimes and I can still launch and spin the heck out of it. Really only a swing fix will change that.

I'd say go ahead and loft down to 8.5º and go to the range. If you are successful on the range with that you can be successful on the course with that. 8.5 would likely be too low for someone hitting down on the ball, but that isn't you.

Second a shaft won't fix a swing flaw. I have an extra stiff black tie I put in sometimes and I can still launch and spin the heck out of it. Really only a swing fix will change that.
Thanks to all for the replies.

Ultimately a major swing change will be my only solution. This will take at least six months. So I guess I should just play my current gear till then. Because of course once I achieved better launch , spin and impact positions my current purchases won't be fitting my new improved swing.

Oh well. Ponder switch turned off.

Now if I could only stay of FleaBay. Because you know the fall/winter price drops will be very hard to resist.

Thanks again to all the THP'ERS

Three things I can suggest. Your launch is too high, try teeing the ball a little lower. Spin is too high, try a lower loft on your driver. You are already doing this and it will also help a little on launch angle. You are flipping, get a sklz smart glove and hit shots with it. You might even want to play a round with it. Hope these ideas help, but if they don't you're not out much money. Keep working on your game.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Ultimately a major swing change will be my only solution. This will take at least six months. So I guess I should just play my current gear till then. Because of course once I achieved better launch , spin and impact positions my current purchases won't be fitting my new improved swing.

Oh well. Ponder switch turned off.

Now if I could only stay of FleaBay. Because you know the fall/winter price drops will be very hard to resist.

Thanks again to all the THP'ERS

Fwiw, you don't know that. If you're seeing 10° launch angles with 4000k spin, a drawing ball flight, and an X Flex shaft with a sub 110 swing speed, there's something cray cray going on with your motion. It may be something simple that may be fixed in an hour.

Is 10* of positive AoA even physically possible while swinging at the ball? How high do you tee the ball?

Fwiw, you don't know that. If you're seeing 10° launch angles with 4000k spin, a drawing ball flight, and an X Flex shaft with a sub 110 swing speed, there's something cray cray going on with your motion. It may be something simple that may be fixed in an hour.
10.0* driver loft setting. Down from 12.0* loft.

20 * launch angle
3500 to 4000 back spin

Flight scope

Slight draw 9/10 shot

1/10 straight or minor fade

SS 100 to 105 fast tempo

Wrist cupped on impact.

This is the flaw which I can't seem to beat out of my swing.

Is 10* of positive AoA even physically possible while swinging at the ball? How high do you tee the ball?

I cant answer that but I have 11,641 swings taken on FlightScope so far, and not a single THPer has ever come close to that number.

I cant answer that but I have 11,641 swings taken on FlightScope so far, and not a single THPer has ever come close to that number.

I think the highest I had on Trackman with you was around 8, and that was pretty crazy

I think the highest I had on Trackman with you was around 8, and that was pretty crazy

6.1 was your highest based on my notes.

6.1 was your highest based on my notes.

I hope so, because anything more than that is a bit of a problem.

I use the longest tee sold. Maybe an 5.5 or 6 inch

Back