Honma Beres S-05 Driver Review Thread

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
As part of The Countdown with Honma Golf (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?98536-The-Countdown-is-Here!), I was the lucky recipient (in Publisher’s Clearinghouse style, no less!) of a full bag of Honma Beres clubs. The driver I have in play is the Beres S-05, in the three star grade. For those who aren’t familiar with Honma, some of their lines are available in 2-star through 5-star versions. The major difference across the ratings is the shaft - more advanced materials are used as the rating increases. However, there are differences in the head and build as well, including the presence of gold and platinum in the higher star-rated clubs. In addition, the star rating also indicates the seniority of the Honma craftsman who built the clubs at the Sakata factory. “Craftsmanship” is a word you see a lot in the information about this line, and that’s born out in the first impression seeing these in hand. Fit and finish is exemplary, even when the ferrules are examined closely - this is one area where I’ve always seen some inconsistencies in how clubs are assembled in previous sets. Like the rest of the line, gold is definitely the theme color here, but it’s less forward in the driver and metalwoods than the irons (unless you go with the 4 star or higher, where the crown becomes gold).

The S-05 driver is the more “all abilities” driver of the Beres line - Honma’s description of the S line is “Straight and Smart”. The other, the E-05 (“Easy and Excellent”), appears to be the more SGI offering, with the location of the weighting near the heel indicating a draw bias. The driver is an all-titanium design, but there are a couple of design elements that I found interesting while reading up on the line that are advertised as increasing ball speed. The first is the “honeycomb” crown design (internal, not visible at address like the dragonfly structure on the PING crown). This design element is designed to propagate crown deflection to the club face, increasing ball speed.

Honeycomb.png

Next is the presence of three “ribs” connecting the thickest part of the face, the sole, and the crown. From my understanding, the goal of this is a similar effect to what is seen with Jailbreak in the Epic line - a more efficient, coordinated rebound effect resulting in more ball speed.

Ribs.png

In hand and at address, the driver has a pretty classic shape. Face angle is not listed on the Honma website (which has more specs than you’ll see from any other manufacturer), but the face looks like it might be just a tad closed - not to the extent of some of the other premium Japanese lines I’ve hit (the XXIO 9 comes to mind). The stock shaft is the ARMRQ (“Ar-Mark”) 48 shaft. Weighing in at 52 grams, it’s a lightweight shaft but not that far off from what is seen in most stock setups these days. It’s also quite long, coming in at 46.25”.

beresdriver.jpg

I’ve only been able to take the driver out a few times since receiving the clubs, but from my experience, the driver is performing as advertised. Due to the longer-than-usual for me shaft, quite a few of my initial swings with the clubs were drop kicks. Still, these shots ended up in places I’m used to ending up on the course. The sound of the driver is loud, but not unpleasant. Balls hit in the center have a more solid sound, while mishits on the heel and especially the toe sound more metallic. With the low CG design and low kick point shaft, one would expect a high ball flight and that’s exactly what I’ve seen - albeit with no issues with ballooning or high spin playing on quite windy day. I’d say the shaft is best suited for a smooth tempo, though I haven’t felt out of control when I’ve gotten a bit quick with it either. I haven't had a chance to hit the driver on a monitor yet, but it seems to retain ball speed quite well - some of my longer drives have been on balls that were nowhere near the center.

More thoughts on performance and plenty of in-hand pictures forthcoming, but I wanted to get threads up on the equipment before I got out for 36 holes this weekend. It’s not often that someone gets a chance to provide feedback on clubs like this, and I wanted to give the forum a chance to ask some questions beforehand. I couldn’t be more thankful to THP and Honma for the opportunity. I’m still blown away every time I walk into my garage and see my bag there.

Last edited:
Spectacular initial post amigo. The honeycomb and ribs tech is fascinating and makes sense considering the quality of build that these are.

The shaft seemed long but 46.25 is REALLY LONG - interesting to see why this is.

I’ll have the SC200 sunday if you want get numbers - also I may play out of your bad this time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great first post. I had no clue about the ribs in the head to help retain ball speed. Also their is a lot to learn about the Honma line and this was pretty eye opening for me.

Great way to start the info on this driver Matt. Have you tried choking down an inch or so on the driver just to see if the dropkicks settle down a bit so you can see what this thing can do a little more consistently?

Nice write-up! Must feel very weird swinging a driver that long. I wonder why they are longer than standard?

This thing is all kinds of awesome.

Great write up! Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the Honma gear.

Great initial post Matt. I'm definitely looking forward to how you get along with the club as you become more comfortable with it. That's definitely a longer shaft than I'm used to, and it's interesting to hear that your drop kicks are still getting well out there. Once you start making consistent contact I'd like to see how you feel about it vs. your XR16.

Great way to start the info on this driver Matt. Have you tried choking down an inch or so on the driver just to see if the dropkicks settle down a bit so you can see what this thing can do a little more consistently?

Yeah, the last time out I kept reminding myself and that worked out fine. I've been mostly drop kick free after the initial round out there.

I honestly think it's more just a matter of being used to a slightly heavier shafted 45" driver, having played one for the past... 3-4 years? I think the Hashimoto I have plays at 46" and I didn't have much issue with that once I got used to it. So yes, it's long, but if you handed it to someone who played a TM or PING driver at stock length, they probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Can't wait to hear more about these clubs. Amazing first offering!!!

Great 1st write up! Can't wait to hear more as you put it in to play.

Good stuff so far. Interested in following along as Honma was so off my radar prior to the count down.

Great info Matt. Looking forward to seeing it in hand

Great initial info! Looking forward to more!

Nice dude ! Looking forward to reading more about these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had this out for two rounds this weekend, so it's time for an update. A few things especially stood out to me. First, while I kind of expected this head to be higher on the spin side, it's not. I hit the ball high with it for sure, but I hit everything high. It wasn't super windy, but it wasn't calm for sure. I didn't feel like I was losing much distance into the wind. The shaft is listed as having a low-mid kickpoint, and that feels about right. I really liked the Fubuki shaft I had in my Great Big Bertha, and this is in a similar vein to me - smooth with a lower kickpoint. It's a profile I'm a fan of. Second, and I mentioned it a bit in my earlier thoughts, but while you can REALLY tell the difference by sound depending on where you hit the ball, this thing retains ball speed like crazy. I hit a few balls pretty far off the toe and I was out where I'd expect to be on drives.

As for how the club is working in my hands, I'm starting to dial it in a bit more and finding fairways. Yeah, I've hit some big blocks, but I'd do that with every single driver on the market. It was especially interesting to get back out on the course I played with JB, ddec, and OITW. I was definitely a bit longer and more consistent with the club, on a day where I was getting absolutely no roll.

It's been a really interesting club so far, and I'm looking forward to getting some numbers with it once the season ends up here and I get inside. Right now I want to take advantage of the last few good golf days we're having, but once the season is over I plan on getting some work in on the monitor.

Really enjoying the feedback mpeterson. Looking forward to more as you get to put it in play more often.

Had this out for two rounds this weekend, so it's time for an update. A few things especially stood out to me. First, while I kind of expected this head to be higher on the spin side, it's not. I hit the ball high with it for sure, but I hit everything high. It wasn't super windy, but it wasn't calm for sure. I didn't feel like I was losing much distance into the wind. The shaft is listed as having a low-mid kickpoint, and that feels about right. I really liked the Fubuki shaft I had in my Great Big Bertha, and this is in a similar vein to me - smooth with a lower kickpoint. It's a profile I'm a fan of. Second, and I mentioned it a bit in my earlier thoughts, but while you can REALLY tell the difference by sound depending on where you hit the ball, this thing retains ball speed like crazy. I hit a few balls pretty far off the toe and I was out where I'd expect to be on drives.

As for how the club is working in my hands, I'm starting to dial it in a bit more and finding fairways. Yeah, I've hit some big blocks, but I'd do that with every single driver on the market. It was especially interesting to get back out on the course I played with JB, ddec, and OITW. I was definitely a bit longer and more consistent with the club, on a day where I was getting absolutely no roll.

It's been a really interesting club so far, and I'm looking forward to getting some numbers with it once the season ends up here and I get inside. Right now I want to take advantage of the last few good golf days we're having, but once the season is over I plan on getting some work in on the monitor.

You hit some bombs with it on Friday. The thing that I was most impressed with was the launch of the club, the ball gets elevated very quickly but then flattens out and carries a good bit. We talked about how it might look like the ball is spinning too much given the initial launch, but that's just not the case. I do think that you were better with it when you were choking up on the club a bit.

With the cold and rain as well as some injuries, I haven't been able to hit a ball outside in a couple weeks. So after work today I went to the indoor practice facility to get some numbers. After working out a few kinks in my swing (I don't think you guys want the numbers on duck hooks) I got a bunch of good swings in with the club. The numbers are in line w/ my and Amol's thoughts above. Ball speed was right around 145, launch was in the range of 13-15 degrees, and spin ranged from 2300-2600 on well struck balls. Balls off the high toe dropped below 2K and a really ugly swing had me right around 3000.

The speed is a little low compared to what I'm used to - I'm usually over 150 on at least a few swings with my XR16 on that same monitor during a session, but I don't want to read into that too much given that I'm recovering from a shoulder injury. That said, I was downright amazed at how small the ball speed range was. Other than the couple really ugly swings I took, ball speed was basically constant in the 144-146 range, carrying just short of 250. Additionally, I absolutely love how the shaft feels through the swing - really really smooth, but it holds up to harder cuts.

Getting back out on the course on Saturday and I'll follow up with another update, though I don't know how many times this will come out, it's a pretty short course. One of the reasons I wanted to get some feedback in here tonight.

Im pretty sure I want one of these to give a run at my 2nd driver slot.

Im pretty sure I want one of these to give a run at my 2nd driver slot.

I'd actually think it would be perfect in that spot. It's not the fastest ball speed I've seen from a driver, but I think you get the same speed from every single part of the face. I haven't hit the Prime, but I like the Beres more than the XXIO 9 I took some swings with w/ ddec.

I'd actually think it would be perfect in that spot. It's not the fastest ball speed I've seen from a driver, but I think you get the same speed from every single part of the face. I haven't hit the Prime, but I like the Beres more than the XXIO 9 I took some swings with w/ ddec.

I got pretty good ball speed when I tested one out last month on the GCQuad. I agree though, it was SUPER forgiving.

Honma Beres S-05 Driver Review Thread

I got pretty good ball speed when I tested one out last month on the GCQuad. I agree though, it was SUPER forgiving.

Yeah that’s probably overstated a bit in my post - I think when I was last on the monitor I was just a bit over 150 with the XR16 and maybe around 149 with the Beres.

Move way out to the toe and the Beres pulls ahead. And it’s not a high spinning head in the least. It’s a really awesome, balanced club. I’m going to take an inch or so off of it this offseason. Keeping the ARMRQ shaft in there though, as it’s a really nice pairing.

I'm just not sure I would be able to use a $900 driver on the course. It just looks way to sexy, wouldn't want to scratch it all up. I'd probably just leave the headcover on it when using it.

You really need to consider putting a bling putter in that bag too. Nothing against Odyssey but that Honma bag derves something exotic like a Lamb crafted or Byron.

I'm just not sure I would be able to use a $900 driver on the course. It just looks way to sexy, wouldn't want to scratch it all up. I'd probably just leave the headcover on it when using it.

You really need to consider putting a bling putter in that bag too. Nothing against Odyssey but that Honma bag derves something exotic like a Lamb crafted or Byron.

I’m slacking on starting a thread on it but the Honma putter I have is fantastic.

Back