"If ____ isn't working, my round is toast!"

Tee game for sure. Not hitting good tee shots turns birdies into pars and pars into bogeys really fast and the scores get elevated real quick.

Driver. Hello 3 off the tee.

Irons/approach shots... I can scramble around it and manage the course, but when Im struggling in this area I have to buckle down to minimize the damage that might happen.

I would have to say my wedge game. I'm not going to say I have no hope for a good score, but if my wedge game is off, it definitely shows. That's the one part of my game that I've worked on a ton over the past year or so. On most par 4s I have a wedge into the green, so if it's off and I'm not hitting greens, it can make for a really long day.

my SeeMore m6 putter... if it's off then my score really takes a beating.

Brain.

Driver - when I'm really crooked off the tee, I put it in places that are difficult from which to recover.

If my short game is off I will not be able to go low.

I think that is a good general statement for just about anyone, however the question was not about what prevents us from going low, it was about what miss causes one to have a horrible round. That's really two different things.

Anyway, for me it changes from round to round. I'd say that more often having a real bad round is ball striking in general from the tees and/or with the irons and approaches. When the general ball striking takes a mini vacation there is no chance of a decent round. Being errant and/or chopping and slopping up the course is usually a terrible day before even getting close enough for the short game to even save some of it or screw it up further. It really comes down to ball striking in general imo.

My hybrids, I'll always love my Mashies, if I'm not hitting them well, then my round is toast.

100% Chipping/pitching. I rely on those shots to put me in a good position for birdie (but more often for par). If they aren't working, the strokes add up too fast!

I can make due if Driver isn't working. I can make due if long irons/hybrids/woods aren't. But inside 125 is where I gain or lose the majority of my shots.

For me it's anything related to ball striking. I'm a terrible putter, so if any part of my ball striking suffers my round is gonna be a long one.

Putter hands down.

Irons. I'm solid enough with my driver, but I need to hit the green when I'm in the FW.

The putter is what game hinges on. If I have a bad day of putting, I can turn an solid even par or even a sub par round into an 80, and vice versa if it's working for me, I can turn an 85+ into a respectable 75.

100% Chipping/pitching. I rely on those shots to put me in a good position for birdie (but more often for par). If they aren't working, the strokes add up too fast!

I can make due if Driver isn't working. I can make due if long irons/hybrids/woods aren't. But inside 125 is where I gain or lose the majority of my shots.

I think the term "not working" is at best only relative.
If you can make do when those clubs are not working it can only be because the term "not working" for you means they still are not really too bad. For most people when those things are not working its usually a bunch of errant shots, and other forms of mishits which pile on strokes and penalties far too great to make due.

Driver. I can scrape an ok round out of my game if any other element is off. But if I'm not getting off the tee I'm going to be in for a very long day.

Irons. If my irons are working, I can usually get myself out of trouble the driver puts me in.

Short game. If I miss greens (HA! IF, right?) then I must have a good wedge game, especially inside 40y.

I'd say my short game for the most part.

But it this begs another question for me, I can really start to struggle with my driver and that kills me so... When do you guys give up on the driver during a round to tee off with a wood or hybrid? Is it after a few bad drivers? Or more? I am really struggling with making that mental decision mid round.

I'd say my short game for the most part.

But it this begs another question for me, I can really start to struggle with my driver and that kills me so... When do you guys give up on the driver during a round to tee off with a wood or hybrid? Is it after a few bad drivers? Or more? I am really struggling with making that mental decision mid round.

Some like me have given up on the driver for good. As good as the fairway wood options are these days it may be worth the time to look into a permanent replacement. Or try out a driver head with a fairway wood length shaft. Or a mini driver.

But your question comes with an assumption. Can you find the fairway consistently with a fairway wood or hybrid? If that answer in no then you are killing yourself two ways. Loss of distance is okay if it comes with a gain in accuracy.

Short game. There's nothing quite like getting to within 20 feet in two and then carding a 7. Thank goodness I can putt or I would post really high scores.

Some like me have given up on the driver for good. As good as the fairway wood options are these days it may be worth the time to look into a permanent replacement. Or try out a driver head with a fairway wood length shaft. Or a mini driver.

But your question comes with an assumption. Can you find the fairway consistently with a fairway wood or hybrid? If that answer in no then you are killing yourself two ways. Loss of distance is okay if it comes with a gain in accuracy.

Your assumption is correct. I can consistently find the fairway with my three wood. I can usually hit it about 235-240. I have been thinking strongly about getting a mini driver (in my mind, the best of both worlds, assumed accuracy and a bit more distance). My main problem is a few years ago, I was killing the driver. Finding fairways with regularity and about 260 distance. Some rounds, it returns, but more often i am snap hooking it. I can't seem to find any consistency. its the past success that is keeping me from accepting reality. I need to do what is going to work most of the time rather then what hopefully work for any given round.

Its like running, when I was 18 I could finish the mile in around 4:20. The reality is now I would be amazed to finish under 7 mins. I need accept reality and make a switch to a mini driver...

Gotta go with driver. If I am off there then it is a long day.

Back