The Old Course-St Andrews

CajunMan

Reaction score
Handicap
10.9 USGA
I just played here and what an experience it was! The course is in perfect condition. The fairways look like the greens of my local courses. The bunkers are imaculate and at times appear out of no where. The starter sends out a foursome every 10 minutes all day long and the pace of play is perfect. There is no waiting. The wind was blowing with gusts to 35 which made it interesting. I did have a caddy which proved to be an excellent decision. It is very humbling to walk this course that Kings,queens and all the golfing greats have played on! We took our picture on the Swilcan Bridge to remember this with. If you ever have the opportunity to play here, do it. Tim

Pics.... we need pics! Bucket list course for sure

Awesome! Plating that course has always been #1 on my bucket list.

I have some but can't load for a couple days. Definitely bucket list for sure! Tim

didn't happen without pics.... just kidding.

If I ever get to play there, I want the wind blowing like you had so I get the "full" experience....

Sounds like a awesome trip. I would love to see some photos when you can upload them.

Played there in August and it was great. You are spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on checking a bucket list trip off! I will play there one day. Can't wait to see the pics when you are able to post up.

JM

It's an incredible experience and I am glad you were able to make it happen. It is a special place that is for sure.

congrats tim! it’s an experience i’ll never forget.

for those wanting pics, you are HUSTLED along. there are a couple photo ops that they suggest for you, but it would be in bad form out there to take a ton of pics throughout the round. like he said, they’re putting off groups every 10 minutes.

for those wanting pics, you are HUSTLED along. there are a couple photo ops that they suggest for you, but it would be in bad form out there to take a ton of pics throughout the round. like he said, they’re putting off groups every 10 minutes.

If you have a caddie, you click when he’s getting your yardage or as you’re walking to the green. Nothin wrong with walking and clicking!

If you have a caddie, you click when he’s getting your yardage or as you’re walking to the green. Nothin wrong with walking and clicking!

seriously my guy was no frills. fastest caddie i’ve ever had not that i’ve had a ton. he was all about quantity over quality.

seriously my guy was no frills. fastest caddie i’ve ever had not that i’ve had a ton. he was all about quantity over quality.

I get it, especially when they're cramming on rounds. It really doesn't take long though on a tee box, especially when you're not hitting. Same with when you're waiting to hit your shot anyway. Basically, take photos when appropriate so not to slow stuff down. My guess though is most people there are trying to pull the "it's a once in a lifetime experience and I want to take it all in" so they try and turn it into a 6 hour round, and the caddies aren't hearin it.

I get it, especially when they're cramming on rounds. It really doesn't take long though on a tee box, especially when you're not hitting. Same with when you're waiting to hit your shot anyway. Basically, take photos when appropriate so not to slow stuff down. My guess though is most people there are trying to pull the "it's a once in a lifetime experience and I want to take it all in" so they try and turn it into a 6 hour round, and the caddies aren't hearin it.

i really wanted to soak it all in. i snagged a couple pics, but i’ll just have to go back again!

Played there 8 years ago. Great experience. It was surprising to see how close the #1 tee box is to #18 green. Caddy (who shared interesting stories on the buildings and celebrities) and walking made it even more special. Shot 82 but fun fact is I was never in any bunkers. Took the Swilican photo as well (see my avatar). Surprised to see how many non golfers sneak over to Swilican for photo opp.

I had a friend who did not play come along who took videos and photos. He spliced my tee shot on #1 into a video/music montage of opening tee shots of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Nick Faldo. Still watch it sometimes to renew the memories.

Sorry but I can not figure out how to post those pics here. I even got my daughter to try without luck. Tim

Oh man, this would be awesome and I will someday play there.

What are the biggest differences with hitting off of those fairways? I hear they are rock hard?

I have a question to those who went, as I am considering a trip to Scottland and I'd love to go try that course. However, their website indicates that there is a minimum handicap and that they will ask for handicap cards. However, my Father in law and I do not have a course membership nor an official handicap tracking tool, can we still play, do we need to establish a official handicap before we go?

I have a question to those who went, as I am considering a trip to Scottland and I'd love to go try that course. However, their website indicates that there is a minimum handicap and that they will ask for handicap cards. However, my Father in law and I do not have a course membership nor an official handicap tracking tool, can we still play, do we need to establish a official handicap before we go?

i think different people have different experiences, and it might be starter-specific.

when i was there, the starter checked every single handicap card for every person who is in the queue for a tee time as a single. i watched him turn away a guy who had been there longer than i had, and i queued up around 4:30am.

sign up for ushandicap.com and start posting your rounds. you'll have a printable card that will suffice.

i think different people have different experiences, and it might be starter-specific.

when i was there, the starter checked every single handicap card for every person who is in the queue for a tee time as a single. i watched him turn away a guy who had been there longer than i had, and i queued up around 4:30am.

sign up for ushandicap.com and start posting your rounds. you'll have a printable card that will suffice.

thanks for the answer, I'll know. ushandicap is not canadian courses friendly, I'll have to find an alternative. they mention a 24 handicap limit, and my father in law is flirting with that as a distance challenged retiree, I might have to ask him to trick the handicap a bit, so he doesnt show up with a 24.2 index (estimation from his average scores)

Without ever having been there I would think the old adage of money talks would get your caddie to be a little more understanding of your willingness to take a few more photos. I'm not talking about setting up a professional shoot or holding up play. just allowing a few more seconds to snap some pics as you're playing and walking to your ball.

I also read somewhere that you can now hire a photographer to follow you around and take photos of you as you're playing your round and then put it in book form. If I was playing there for the once in a lifetime opportunity I know I'd spring for that service for the extra couple hundred i'm guessing it would cost.

Without ever having been there I would think the old adage of money talks would get your caddie to be a little more understanding of your willingness to take a few more photos. I'm not talking about setting up a professional shoot or holding up play. just allowing a few more seconds to snap some pics as you're playing and walking to your ball.

I also read somewhere that you can now hire a photographer to follow you around and take photos of you as you're playing your round and then put it in book form. If I was playing there for the once in a lifetime opportunity I know I'd spring for that service for the extra couple hundred i'm guessing it would cost.

the photog thing sounds awesome. i would definitely do that.

i've only had a handful of caddies in my day. i've never pulled out my wallet until the end of the round. so not sure how you would grease the palms to buy more time during the round.

the photog thing sounds awesome. i would definitely do that.

i've only had a handful of caddies in my day. i've never pulled out my wallet until the end of the round. so not sure how you would grease the palms to buy more time during the round.

Hey Speedy, here's an extra (whatever you think is appropriate) to the tip that i'm going to give you at the end of my round if you just slow down a bit and let me enjoy my once in a lifetime experience just a little bit more.

Back