anyone play with vintage clubs?

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I found this company, Louisville Golf. They specialize in the clubs of days gone by. Beautiful craftsmanship.

https://www.louisvillegolf.com/#

Intro-Set-with-Metal-Putter.jpg

I am trying to convince a few buddies to get sets like this and go play some vintage golf. No takers as of yet, but sure looks like it would be a fun challenge. who doesn't want to make an approach shot with a nibblik (whatever that means...).

I have marveled at the beauty of the clubs on their website many times.

They are almost too beautiful to play. My only fear would be catching one fat and snapping a shaft. If I ever get a set, I'm getting head covers and bag from Seamus golf to go with them...

They are almost too beautiful to play. My only fear would be catching one fat and snapping a shaft. If I ever get a set, I'm getting head covers and bag from Seamus golf to go with them...

Yeah this for me as well. I remember snapping a few graphite iron shafts back in the day when they weren't very good. Can't imagine wood would last long unless you are a sweeper.

Sometimes I use my grandfather's wooden and brass putter.

As long as the wood for the shaft is high quality vertical grain (possibly even ultrasonically graded for pitch pockets or other irregularities) hitting one fat, even VERY fat should not damage the shaft.

My irons are 20 years old, so I guess they are vintage! :act-up:

As long as the wood for the shaft is high quality vertical grain (possibly even ultrasonically graded for pitch pockets or other irregularities) hitting one fat, even VERY fat should not damage the shaft.

Seeing as I have occasionally broken steel iron shafts I wouldn't take the chance.

Ive got an old set of Hogans from the '60s that my neighbor gave me. I take them out about once a year and theyre pretty fun to play with, especially the persimmon woods. The biggest thing I found is that I have to use the softest compression ball that I can find, usually a, "ladies" ball because the vintage clubs were deisgned with much softer balls in mind that we commonly use today.

I’d like to give it a try. I wouldn’t want to put much money in it, though...and I’d probably shoot about a 280.

Back