Grandura Shafts Review Thread

I'm getting out this afternoon for some range time and will have some initial thoughts this evening.

I am really interested in the 590, never been a big fan of light weight shafts but I need more speed since I am not getting any younger..

Looks like I was fit into the 510: http://www.granduragolf.com/browse/golf-shafts/510/

The 510 golf shaft is our lowest launching product, which is represented by the green color, and is recommended for high swing speed players that launch the ball high. Its weight comes in the low 70's to help with stability and feel for the player. The 510 has our green color designation to represent its low launch characteristics.

MASS (GM): 70
SPIN (RATE): LOW
LAUNCH (ANGLE): LOW/MID
TORQUE (DEGREES): 3.3

It looks great paired with the Big Bertha Alpha 815. I also like the graphics at address.

0645615d983df117be32e065e187e56a.jpg
5cdba30b2ca428b4dddab545889e0cae.jpg
cfced4065ec403eaa31b94507397a61d.jpg
4638822a2edd848fb9624ec0af091175.jpg

Last edited:
very nice. Looking forward to some pics and your initial thoughts on it after some swings.

well, like a kid who gets his Christmas present then gets whisked away to the grandparents' house for the entire day and cannot bring any toys (that actually happened to my wife every year of her childhood, SAD!), I will sadly not be able to hit this tonight. my fitter was booked up all afternoon, and Mother Nature is a real turd. alas, I have a round scheduled for tomorrow morning, and since this review is all about feel, putting her to the test where it matters is the best test of all, not to mention I'll be playing the same course I played my last full round at and had a great driving day, so almost apples to apples.

cannot wait to read everyone's feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shaft provided for me was the 530 in X flex. I'll openly say I was expecting the 510 as I always lean towards the lowest launching shaft of the bunch, but I'm going into this optimistic that the selection was appropriate for me. I like that I'll be enjoying the mid 60g weighting with what I am assuming will be a very stable flex build.

I'll have on course experiences as early as tomorrow evening, paired with both the 815 and 816 BBA DBD driver heads.

20150831_155118-XL.jpg

20150831_155013-XL.jpg

20150831_155031-XL.jpg

20150831_155038-XL.jpg

20150831_155110-XL.jpg

20150831_155133-XL.jpg

The website for me still shows coming soon. Is there an online fitting tool that I missed somewhere?

The website for me still shows coming soon. Is there an online fitting tool that I missed somewhere?

It seems some have found a way to backdoor the site content.

I'd say rather than dig into the meat, wait for the appropriate time when Grandura wants us to learn more. It might be more fun to follow along with the reviews on here without all that added and/or unnecessary depth in the product.

Reviewers, please remember the original goal. Your job is to review the shaft that you receive rather than review how well it fits you.

Thank you.

Wow the graphics are steller. Looking forward to following along your guys journeys

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Nice to see the shafts showing up. Some nice pics. Looking forward to hearing all of the testers thoughts

Initial Impressions
Shaft: 550, stiff

Looks: Love the understated looks of this shaft. The lettering and color scheme is on point and it contains your basic information (weight, flex and model) that you would expect to find on the shaft. One thing to note about the graphics would be that they are not symmetrical/even around the shaft, meaning that if you are tinkering with settings on your driver and changing the loft/face angle, you are going to end up with a very different looking shaft at setup depending on what you go with. Not a big deal and nothing that bothers me at all, but thought it was worth pointing out. Nice matte finish to the shaft - not completely flat - but far from glossy.

Feel (to the touch): Smooth to the touch. No raised letters or textures of note.

Feel (pre swing and swing): As soon as I installed the grip and my head, I performed the most scientific test known to every golfer: The Waggle Test. The shaft felt very.. stout. (Editors Note: I absolutely refuse to use boardy and or whippy in my reviews). Granted, it was just a waggle, but compared to my current shaft, I could not feel any head wiggle. Thankfully, I was able to get to the range tonight after dinner and get some real swings in. I don’t know if this will make much sense, but the shaft “Swung much better than it waggled.” Very smooth. I didn’t feel like I had to ‘go after it’ to get the shaft to unload. In fact, I felt like the easier I swung, the more natural the shaft felt. This is completely counter-intuitive to other shafts that felt stout to me after waggling.

Ball Flight: I found it gave me a nice mid launch without any issues with spin. I was hitting limited distance range balls most of the night (ie overcompressing), but I was still seeing fantastic distances. At this range there is a hill that runs about 250 out. I was landing balls just short of the hill and they were bouncing over the hill. Pretty standard for me at this range. For my last ball of the night I took a scuffed up ZStar XV out of my bag and let it rip. There are trees on top of aforementioned hill, and I carried the ball about halfway up the tree line. The ball launched beautifully and carried a long way - exactly what I normally see what with my gamer ball.

In terms of dispersion, I saw my usual dispersion - straight or a slight fade. I wasn’t able to pull off any draws tonight, but I will need more time to tell if it was a swing issue, or if this shaft is simply harder to turn over (for me).

I apologize if this initial writeup came off a bit disjointed, but my mind is racing and I wanted to capture as much as possible while it was still fresh on my mind.

Please ask any and all questions you can think of and I will do my best to answer them now, or later this week after another range session!

Initial Impressions
Shaft: 550, stiff

Looks: Love the understated looks of this shaft. The lettering and color scheme is on point and it contains your basic information (weight, flex and model) that you would expect to find on the shaft. One thing to note about the graphics would be that they are not symmetrical/even around the shaft, meaning that if you are tinkering with settings on your driver and changing the loft/face angle, you are going to end up with a very different looking shaft at setup depending on what you go with. Not a big deal and nothing that bothers me at all, but thought it was worth pointing out. Nice matte finish to the shaft - not completely flat - but far from glossy.

Feel (to the touch): Smooth to the touch. No raised letters or textures of note.

Feel (pre swing and swing): As soon as I installed the grip and my head, I performed the most scientific test known to every golfer: The Waggle Test. The shaft felt very.. stout. (Editors Note: I absolutely refuse to use boardy and or whippy in my reviews). Granted, it was just a waggle, but compared to my current shaft, I could not feel any head wiggle. Thankfully, I was able to get to the range tonight after dinner and get some real swings in. I don’t know if this will make much sense, but the shaft “Swung much better than it waggled.” Very smooth. I didn’t feel like I had to ‘go after it’ to get the shaft to unload. In fact, I felt like the easier I swung, the more natural the shaft felt. This is completely counter-intuitive to other shafts that felt stout to me after waggling.

Ball Flight: I found it gave me a nice mid launch without any issues with spin. I was hitting limited distance range balls most of the night (ie overcompressing), but I was still seeing fantastic distances. At this range there is a hill that runs about 250 out. I was landing balls just short of the hill and they were bouncing over the hill. Pretty standard for me at this range. For my last ball of the night I took a scuffed up ZStar XV out of my bag and let it rip. There are trees on top of aforementioned hill, and I carried the ball about halfway up the tree line. The ball launched beautifully and carried a long way - exactly what I normally see what with my gamer ball.

In terms of dispersion, I saw my usual dispersion - straight or a slight fade. I wasn’t able to pull off any draws tonight, but I will need more time to tell if it was a swing issue, or if this shaft is simply harder to turn over (for me).

I apologize if this initial writeup came off a bit disjointed, but my mind is racing and I wanted to capture as much as possible while it was still fresh on my mind.

Please ask any and all questions you can think of and I will do my best to answer them now, or later this week after another range session!
Love the initial thoughts! Makes me even more excited to get started.

I am really anxious to hit some more balls with this shaft in my driver. I think it is worth mentioning that the shaft I have been gaming for the last 9 months is the Kuro Kage Black HBP. The HBP stands for 'high balance point', which is supposed to effect the overall feel of the shaft (soft mid section and stiffer butt and tip).

The Grandura 550 feels a good bit different than my previous gamer, so I expect it to take a few range sessions and rounds to get used to it. I will be using it exclusively, so that shouldn't be an issue. The good thing about long term testing is that my thoughts will constantly be shared, so as my experience with the shaft changes (assuming it does), it will be chronicled as such. Again, the review won't be about the shaft fitting me, but the more comfortable I get with the shaft, the better I will be able to provide feedback on the intricacies of the shaft.

Very good insight so far, sounds like a good match for you.

Fantastic initial thoughts and pictures fellas!!

Great initial thoughts Joe. Can't wait to see what you do with it once you achieve a true comfort level!

I find Grandura's comment about the 550 being for those who want to use a low-lofted driver a bit strange.
Is that just a wierd way of saying the shaft promotes launch?

I find Grandura's comment about the 550 being for those who want to use a low-lofted driver a bit strange.
Is that just a wierd way of saying the shaft promotes launch?

I believe so. Perhaps someone has a head they love, but wants more a little more launch without having to play with any driver adjustments (or if they have a driver head that doesnt have adjustability).

Based on my one range session thus far, I find the launch to be "true" (I am using a 10.5 head)

So, I got out yesterday with this (590) and do have some very initial thoughts. I will say I'm going to be a bit different on how I present my thoughts on this one because our focus is on the performance and not how it does or does not fit my particular swing. Shafts are THE hardest thing to review, mainly because its all about separating the you from the shaft.

Early time with the 590 is interesting, it showed yesterday on a windy day that is is definitely a shaft that can and will get the ball up. No hard data yet on anything, but the launch angle I suspect is going to be up there, which is exactly what the 590 is designed to do. Moreover, the biggest takeaway from early swings though is its incredibly stable, yet there was a fluidity to it in the swing, its hard to put into words a tactile feeling like that but it was a really nice feel. The balance is there, and 57g felt fine and held up to my swing really well initially. Going to delve in more here today and the remainder of this week, lots of golf swings coming.

incredibly stable, yet there was a fluidity to it in the swing

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a common theme throughout the entire lineup - and I wonder if the nano tech has anything to do with it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's thoughts

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a common theme throughout the entire lineup - and I wonder if the nano tech has anything to do with it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's thoughts

Yeah, its what I kept coming back to yesterday. Swing was so-so, the wind was 18 MPH+, but the feel through the swing was all I cared about. The nano-tech has to play a major role there I think.

Yeah, its what I kept coming back to yesterday. Swing was so-so, the wind was 18 MPH+, but the feel through the swing was all I cared about. The nano-tech has to play a major role there I think.

I have never had a shaft feel so different from when waggled and when swung.

Back