How to fit a driving iron in the bag?

SpartanLife

Reaction score
This is kind of a weird question as I've wanted a driving iron for a long time just because I enjoy hitting them and I'd like one basically as a backup club for if I'm hooking my longer clubs or maybe for a tight course or something, but I can't seem to be happy with how it could fit into my set. (Also I'm just a hoe and want something new lol)

The thing is, I don't play any fairway woods, so it makes the set up kinda odd IMO.

I go driver (290 carry)
16.5* hybrid (260 carry)
20* hybrid (240 carry)
4 iron (220 carry)

So for a day where I feel like I needed the accuracy of a driving iron, I feel like I'd want a lower lofted one (17-18*) for max distance. But then it would be awkward as I have a hybrid that's shorter than the iron

Or I could get a 20* one and pull out the 20* hybrid, but then that seems like it doesn't make sense because why not have the driving iron go as far as possible?

What do you guys think?

This is kind of a weird question as I've wanted a driving iron for a long time just because I enjoy hitting them and I'd like one basically as a backup club for if I'm hooking my longer clubs or maybe for a tight course or something, but I can't seem to be happy with how it could fit into my set. (Also I'm just a hoe and want something new lol)

The thing is, I don't play any fairway woods, so it makes the set up kinda odd IMO.

I go driver (290 carry)
16.5* hybrid (260 carry)
20* hybrid (240 carry)
4 iron (220 carry)

So for a day where I feel like I needed the accuracy of a driving iron, I feel like I'd want a lower lofted one (17-18*) for max distance. But then it would be awkward as I have a hybrid that's shorter than the iron

Or I could get a 20* one and pull out the 20* hybrid, but then that seems like it doesn't make sense because why not have the driving iron go as far as possible?

What do you guys think?

I say take stock as to where you use the other clubs. If you don't use one of them all that much - the DI goes in that spot. Gaps only matter if you use the clubs or have a tendency to get to that yardage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My gut reaction would be in place of the 20 hybrid

I say take stock as to where you use the other clubs. If you don't use one of them all that much - the DI goes in that spot. Gaps only matter if you use the clubs or have a tendency to get to that yardage

Another thing I thought of which also points to a 20* is the fact that it could be a wind cub. I hit the ball very high so a driving iron would be better in the wind than the hybrid

Another thing I thought of which also points to a 20* is the fact that it could be a wind cub. I hit the ball very high so a driving iron would be better in the wind than the hybrid

Yup- with presumably better control

Do you hit your 4i high also? If so I’m not sure a driving iron is going to be any different. Most of today’s driving irons are hollow bodied and perform more like hybrids for folks who don’t like looking down at a hybrid.

I’d replace the 20* hybrid. I carry two driving irons and no hybrids. The driving irons are more accurate for me and are easier to flight as well.

What are all your club gaps? I fit another club in the top end by going 4H 6H 7i instead of 4H 5H 6i 7i. That let me have a low spin 3H and a high spinning 5w(ish)

I would go for something that carries a similar distance to your 16.5 hybrid, as you seem to have good gapping and if the DI is a tee-only Club then why mess with the rest of your bag setup.
I would recommend reading the Callaway UT thread. Canadan’s posts about the 18 & 21 deg versions are worth seeking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you hit your 4i high also? If so I’m not sure a driving iron is going to be any different. Most of today’s driving irons are hollow bodied and perform more like hybrids for folks who don’t like looking down at a hybrid.

I hit everything high. Right now I'm playing a new set of King Forged Tours. But my previous set was a nearly 10 year old set of TM Tour Preferreds. They were 1* strong so they had a 23* 4 iron. I tried the Taylormade UDI 4 (also 23*) and put the same shaft in it (C-Taper S+ 125) that I have in my irons. I compared them on a launch monitor 3 different times, and every time, I lost 5-10 yards with the UDI because of higher launch and higher spin. And the UDI is supposed to be a long hitting club with a hot face.

So you may be right, maybe instead of a driving iron, I should just get the 3 iron from my set? I was hoping for more forgiveness tho that driving irons provide with all the tungsten they have in them, but you're right in that I don't need any help getting the ball up, and that can even hurt as I did with the UDI.

I think the play would be try to find a DI that carries the same as my 20* 3 hybrid, but it may take some experimentation to figure out what loft and model I do that with, and that's also good in the wind

I would go for something that carries a similar distance to your 16.5 hybrid, as you seem to have good gapping and if the DI is a tee-only Club then why mess with the rest of your bag setup.
I would recommend reading the Callaway UT thread. Canadan’s posts about the 18 & 21 deg versions are worth seeking out.

But then the set would be weird with an iron longer than a hybrid :D

Also for a windy day the 20* hybrid can be too high while the 16.5* isn't

How to fit a driving iron in the bag?

But then the set would be weird with an iron longer than a hybrid

Also for a windy day the 20* hybrid can be too high while the 16.5* isn't

Surely the #1 purpose of the driving iron is to 'get it out there' with a modicum of accuracy when hit off the tee? If this is the primary purpose of the club, then why sacrifice 20-30 yards by going for a higher lofted one? Practically should win it over looks every time.

5abde878ae1f97a787255a4167dabe9b.jpg

In theory, according to the above, your peak heights on correctly struck shots shouldn't be too different, so your 16.5 shouldn't go much lower than the 20 (maybe 3-4 yards). Spin numbers will be different though. You could choke down on the lower lofted DI to achieve a variety of results in windy conditions. Or, if you like shiny things, you could always pick up 2 utility irons of differing lofts for use on windy days!

Back