Adjusting lie angle question

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
As I've pointed out in different threads, I'm looking to buy new irons. I've have been fit for the length and loft strength (and am closing in on the right shaft). The one thing that holds me up is lie angle. At present, I need it a few degrees flat but I'm afraid that as I continue to improve my swing will be different next year and I will need them bent to a different lie angle.

What is the most I can have them bent if I order 2 degrees flat in the initial order? Can they still be bent to the full 4 degrees in each way or is there some limitation that a custom order would impose?

Depends on the iron. Cast irons, they’re not bending that much so whatever the OEM could do at custom order, that’s what they’ll be.

Forged irons, you can still tweak them post custom order.

Depends on the iron. Cast irons, they’re not bending that much so whatever the OEM could do at custom order, that’s what they’ll be.

Forged irons, you can still tweak them post custom order.

I agree. Some irons can't be bent at all, and some only by the OEM. I use to bend irons, but my course stopped doing any because you never know if they have been bent prior times. 4 degrees on any iron is a lot of bend and not something I would do.

As I've pointed out in different threads, I'm looking to buy new irons. I've have been fit for the length and loft strength (and am closing in on the right shaft). The one thing that holds me up is lie angle. At present, I need it a few degrees flat but I'm afraid that as I continue to improve my swing will be different next year and I will need them bent to a different lie angle.

What is the most I can have them bent if I order 2 degrees flat in the initial order? Can they still be bent to the full 4 degrees in each way or is there some limitation that a custom order would impose?

General rule is that they should not be bent more than 2 degrees https://www.mitchellgolf.com/bending-golf-clubs-facts-fallacies/ LAST PARAGRAPH

However depending on the club like Mward said whether it is cast or forged and the material it is made of will be the tell tale between being able to bend it a full 4 or not.

If it were me, I’d pull the trigger. Custom fit irons are a dream. If your swing changes many clubs will hold the majority of their value if taken care of. You can always sell them and put the money towards your next fitting and custom set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 degrees... lolololol

nobody’s on your level. 9* flat or gtfo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news is, irons can be bent it’s not a big deal. I don’t think I’ve ever had the toe dig on me either so figure that out.

Not sure if I was unclear, I don’t mean messing with lofts. Just rebending the lie angle.

Not sure if I was unclear, I don’t mean messing with lofts. Just rebending the lie angle.

Oh no, I gotcha. It’s just going to depend on the iron like I mentioned. What iron are you having bent?

Oh no, I gotcha. It’s just going to depend on the iron like I mentioned. What iron are you having bent?

It will likely be a cast club. Haven’t finalized decision yet

It will likely be a cast club. Haven’t finalized decision yet

Can’t imagine an OEM wouldn’t accommodate your order friend

OK, I think I am having trouble understanding the original question: You have been fit to 2* flat, and are worried that if you change your swing you may end up at some point needing as much as 2* upright and wondering if it would be possible to get them bent to that if you need in the future?

Or am I misreading it? If so, I would be concerned over trying to bend a cast iron 4* one way or the other, but there are others on here that would know quite a bit more than me on it.

I will say as someone who has changed his swing somewhat over the last 15 or so years, my initial fitting for MX-25s way back in the day was 1/2" short, 2 degrees flat. When the very first Ap1/AP2 were released I got fit for 1/2" short 2* flat. Did another fitting this year with Titleist and got fit for 2* flat and 1/4" short.

Also, adjusting the length of the club will effect the lie angle of the club correct?. That is why the most you see is 2* one way or the other. More than that and they usual start adjusting the length. I would be very surprised if you changed that much on a fitting of the same club unless you really altered your swing severely, but again others on here may have differing experiences.

I bent a cast Callaway club 7* flat once as a practice club. I then bent it 4* up (11* total move) and played it like that for practice. In the end, it never cracked or broke so some clubs can take a beating. Forged you're normally good moving 4* from standard both ways.

Adjusting lie angle question

Looks like I’m just overthinking the situation. At most I could see my lie angle shifting a degree or two and I was afraid I would be screwed if I had to adjust next year. Lesson learned.

I was mostly concerned because my Wilson fitting a few years back was at standard and now I’m 2 degrees flat. I was surprised by the shift but I think I’m just overthinking at this point.

Looks like I’m just overthinking the situation. At most I could see my lie angle shifting a degree or two and I was afraid I would be screwed if I had to adjust next year. Lesson learned.

I was mostly concerned because my Wilson fitting a few years back was at standard and now I’m 2 degrees flat. I was surprised by the shift but I think I’m just overthinking at this point.

A lot can depend also on the irons you are getting fit to. The "standard" lie across OEMs can easily vary be a degree or even two. I have my Mizunos set at 1* flat but would need 2* flat in most other OEM sets to achieve the same lie angles.

A lot can depend also on the irons you are getting fit to. The "standard" lie across OEMs can easily vary be a degree or even two. I have my Mizunos set at 1* flat but would need 2* flat in most other OEM sets to achieve the same lie angles.

Great to know. Golf needs to get into some standards association lol

Back