4 Club 2 Man Scramble Tournament

MikeECC1959

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello Everyone, I was hoping to get a little advice about a tournament I am playing in next weekend. It is a 4 club, 2 man scramble. I am younger and play from the white tees and my partner is over 65 therefore, he plays from the gold tees. He is better around the green than I am and I am better with my long irons and woods. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate your help!!!​

Hello Everyone, I was hoping to get a little advice about a tournament I am playing in next weekend. It is a 4 club, 2 man scramble. I am younger and play from the white tees and my partner is over 65 therefore, he plays from the gold tees. He is better around the green than I am and I am better with my long irons and woods. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate your help!!!​
What tees are you playing from? Most times all men play from same tees, unless they are looking at hdcp's. So I am assuming the white tees.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure exactly what advice will help you much.

It's a scramble so you're getting two shots from each place which is always nice. I'd say if you have the better shot at hitting longer clubs, then your partner should hit and put you in a 'safe' spot, which allows you to attack greens/pins from the longer distance.

In regards to the 4 clubs, is that total between the 2 of you? Or just 4 clubs for each guy?

This is an interesting format. I have played in a 5 club tournament the last couple years and end up shooting close to my regular scores.

Do you need your putter? If so that is one club (some people can putt pretty decently blading a wedge or iron). After that, I would focus on finding something you can hit off tee, but also can be used for 2nd shots. If you are good with your long irons than maybe a 4/5I. After that, look at the other irons/wedges you think you would need for approach shots and if you can alter distances with them to cover some different yardages.

For example in my 5 club I went 5W (tee and long second shots), 7I, PW, LW, putter. Cutting one club out, maybe 4I, 8I, SW, Putter? Something like that to cover yardages?

It's all about the putting so putter needs to be brought by both of you IMO.

Driver probably needs to be both as well.

I'd take a look at the par 3's they have there and also where you think with good drives you'll be for your approach shots on par 4's. Take the 2 clubs that you think will be used the most.

I played in a 2 man 3 club tournament recently and we went 3 wood, 6 iron, 50* wedge on my partner and 3 iron, 8 iron, 54* wedge on me. That worked well for us but the winners went driver 7 iron putter. It’s an interesting format and can be kind of hard to figure out the winning formula. I say trust your gut and take 3 clubs you love to hit and a putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can each bring 4, then I wouldn't overlap any clubs. I would take the top of your bag (as it sounds like you will be the long game) and the bottom of his bag.

Do you each get 4 clubs a piece?

1. the longest wood I feel confident hitting off the deck.
2. the strongest lofted club i am certain i can get out of the sound with.
3. the iron that splits the gap between 1 and 2.
4. putter.

I'd encourage my partner to do the same.

Back