2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the recipe David and I had last night. The WW nutritional info is written on the page.

fXjoxiO.jpg

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Looking good. This will have to be tried.

Here is what I just made and it was FANTASTIC. I didnt use the onion or garlic and instead used a large shallot. And I did not use the cilantro. I was using XL shrimp and got 7 of them for 9 points and did not serve them over rice. Since the serving size is 1/2 pound of shrimp. I kid you not, the flavors were out of this world. The sauce was great, so I am going to be using this one for chicken and a few others.

1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Combine the fish sauce, dark brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes and water in a medium bowl and whisk until brown sugar is dissolved.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes more. Do not brown.

Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the shrimp. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are just barely pink and still translucent in spots, a few minutes. Add the fish sauce mixture, turn heat down to medium, and simmer until shrimp are cooked through, a few minutes more. (Note: the sauce will be thin.) Off the heat, stir in scallions and cilantro. Serve immediately with jasmine rice.

I just had 2 beers and portabella fries with horseradish ranch... diet fail!

That's where I'm struggling. In order to make this more lifestyle related and not my typical failed attempt. I've got to be able to enjoy life too. Moderation is key I know that. And portion size and control scares the crap out of me. Bad habits will be tough to over come.

That's where I'm struggling. In order to make this more lifestyle related and not my typical failed attempt. I've got to be able to enjoy life too. Moderation is key I know that. And portion size and control scares the crap out of me. Bad habits will be tough to over come.

I think that's why the points system is working so well for me and JB right now. We are NEVER hungry, and we are eating the foods we like still. It's definitely not for everyone, and can be annoying for some to add up the points, but so far for us it's been great. JB is eating an ice cream sandwich right now after just finishing some popcorn and he still has points left.

I had a huge dinner that consisted of a maple teriyaki mahi mahi filet, asparagus, a sweet potato and a side salad and it was delicious and I was nice and full. I followed that up with a sugar free popsicle and I am super content. I am even watching Food Network, which JB still insists on us watching, and I am not even craving anything. :smile:

It did to me too. What I'm learning is that some things portion size is a huge concern. For others, I doubled up. I ate two portions with no issue and enjoyed the heck out of it.

It's why I'm enjoying the points based program, and I'm not going to beat myself up. If I go over in a day, then I go over. You get a "bank" of points to use for going over during the course of a week. The irony is that I haven't gone over yet at all, but know it's there if I need to, and I'm not even counting any exercise that might be done to add even more points available.

I'm making better choices, with very little planning, and losing weight. There is no right system for everybody, that's for sure. But with the great support of the people here, and my wife's assistance anything is possible. This one just happens to suit my lifestyle and traveling a bit better than others.

I will need to look into a points based system. But I'm quite certain 3 Mc Doubles will need to go for lunch.

I will need to look into a points based system. But I'm quite certain 3 Mc Doubles will need to go for lunch.

Hahaha. Just look at it like you are saving calories by not getting the 2nd piece of cheese in a double cheeseburger.

Skip the buns and hammer 6 patties of Meatish like substance

What's the longest you've gone without Soda... couple weeks just drinking water at work does wonders...

I completely missed this after I initially posted.

The longest I have gone without soda was a year (I went without alcohol and without soda just to see if I could do it).

I am at 2 days now. No headaches this time around thankfully.

Haha, yeah that would be your entire points allowance for the day. You will have to adjust when it comes to fast food and going out to eat, but for me I will not worry when I go out to eat. For me if I go out to eat, it's for a meal I can't or won't cook at home, therefore I am not going to worry about what the points are. It's a splurge, both monetarily and for the diet, so I will indulge and not feel the least bit guilty about it.

All joking aside its go time for me tomorrow. Did some shopping to get more healthy stuff in the house. Of course Lee is liking this. Cause she's been "concerned"

Most of you know this, but I wanted to say it anyway as a reminder. Beer (and alcohol in general) is hell on a diet. I was really sick for a whole week (2 weeks ago) and haven't had a beer since. I've changed nothing else in my diet or exercise routine and have lost 10 pounds. I am going to splurge and have a few tonight since I'm going to see a movie. But I plan to get back on track and go another two weeks without it just to see how far it will take me.

Here is what I just made and it was FANTASTIC. I didnt use the onion or garlic and instead used a large shallot. And I did not use the cilantro. I was using XL shrimp and got 7 of them for 9 points and did not serve them over rice. Since the serving size is 1/2 pound of shrimp. I kid you not, the flavors were out of this world. The sauce was great, so I am going to be using this one for chicken and a few others.

1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Combine the fish sauce, dark brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes and water in a medium bowl and whisk until brown sugar is dissolved.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes more. Do not brown.

Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the shrimp. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are just barely pink and still translucent in spots, a few minutes. Add the fish sauce mixture, turn heat down to medium, and simmer until shrimp are cooked through, a few minutes more. (Note: the sauce will be thin.) Off the heat, stir in scallions and cilantro. Serve immediately with jasmine rice.

Thanks for posting this. I'm not a huge shrimp person, but this might be something I might try. I love fish sauce.

Most of you know this, but I wanted to say it anyway as a reminder. Beer (and alcohol in general) is hell on a diet. I was really sick for a whole week (2 weeks ago) and haven't had a beer since. I've changed nothing else in my diet or exercise routine and have lost 10 pounds. I am going to splurge and have a few tonight since I'm going to see a movie. But I plan to get back on track and go another two weeks without it just to see how far it will take me.

I wish alcohol was my vice, or just one thing for that matter. I don't drink at all, for me it's just food in general. I love good food, I love to eat, I love to cook and I especially love to bake. I have so few talents, but baking is one of them and I love to bake new things. That definitely does not help the waistline.

I agree. Sweets need to be my next item to tackle. Same with fast food or dining out in general.

I completely missed this after I initially posted.

The longest I have gone without soda was a year (I went without alcohol and without soda just to see if I could do it).

I am at 2 days now. No headaches this time around thankfully.

I thought this would really affect me (.multiple sodas per day for a long time). I had a bad headache at the end of our first day in (21 days total) but after that didn't have any problems. Been almost a month without soda and I feel better. Started drinking beer again but trying to limit it when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. I'm not a huge shrimp person, but this might be something I might try. I love fish sauce.

I am not a big shrimp person either, but JB said I would really like the sauce with chicken or a filet of fish.

GG is right. Its a sauce that would work on a number of things. Fish Sauce is a unique ingredient, but when used properly its just awesome for flavor. Combined with the brown sugar and heat from the flakes, it was just awesome.

I wish alcohol was my vice, or just one thing for that matter. I don't drink at all, for me it's just food in general. I love good food, I love to eat, I love to cook and I especially love to bake. I have so few talents, but baking is one of them and I love to bake new things. That definitely does not help the waistline.

Thanksgiving and the holidays will still be glorious! Festival of food is part of living hahaha

I need to lose 30 myself. Heaviest I've ever been at around 220. Actually could lose 40 to be honest. I know how to get it off with proper diet and exercise, I've done it before and felt amazing...it's just a matter of having a plan and following it.

Lots of THPers are here for support. Good luck.

2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

I need to lose 30 myself. Heaviest I've ever been at around 220. Actually could lose 40 to be honest. I know how to get it off with proper diet and exercise, I've done it before and felt amazing...it's just a matter of having a plan and following it.

I know the feeling. Long term is like to lose 70 pounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back