JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you practice in the bunker? Short game, fairway bunkers, different types of shots and lies?

When I have the chance, yes. Bunkers are my friends, right be never met one I don’t like.

The driving range near me has a big bunker that I will usually take 1/4 of the bucket into and hit balls out of. There's a big lip, so you can work on blast/greenside style shots, and a flatter area that is more like the fairway bunkers around here. It's been a focus of the little practice I've done this year, and I feel like it's made a big difference in my scores. I'm no longer afraid to go at a pin for fear of ending up in a greenside trap.

After Cog Hill....EVERY chance I get. Getting better but not where I want/need to be.

Does practicing staying out of them count? If so, then yes I do.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do not have a practice bunker at my course. I will hit a few extra balls out of bunkers during the course of play from time to time.

My practice facility has a nice bunker practice area. I can practice all kinds of bunker shots. I always spend about 15 minutes every time I am at the range

My range just put in a bunker in the short game area. Looking forward to working on the "thump"

My home course has a bunker on the range that I use. I practice mostly 50 yard and in shots as thats my trouble area. My fairway bunker play is one of my strengths as I'm a sweeper of the ball as it is.

No I don't. No public places have an area to practice bunker shots.

I'd say that every other time I'm at the range I'll spend 1/4 bucket in the bunker from a couple of different lies.

Maybe once or twice a year

If my range had one then yes I would. Bunkers used to terrify me, but I’ve gotten better with them recently just by sheer volume of being in them and hitting more shots from them

Because I play out of bunkers a lot when I play I do practice different lies distances and clubs. Biggest issue I see is practice bunkers are rarely similar to course bunkers in many cases

The only practice I do is during the round lol.

We don't have a ton of bunkers around here so I don't spend a lot of time but if I have an event ahead of me I'll hit the beach for a lot more practice.

I spend time working on my shots from greenside bunkers but until the weekend had not spent much time working on fairway bunkers. (I got plenty of practice on the Nicklaus and Watson courses if that counts.. Lol). This is certainly an area of my game that needs improvement. I did not advance my ball very far on most of the fairway bunker shots and on one I hit it from one bunker to the next.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is a big bunker at my home courses short game area, I need to work on hitting out of it like it is a fairway bunker though, I am pretty awful on that shot.

I have been hitting green side shots out of it once a week or so, but have been slacking and only have done it once this month. Need to get back at it though as my bunker play has been a strength and that has to be due to the work I have put in.

Great thread and just motivated me to go to the range straight after work tomorrow. We have a night 9hole course and the range is open until 10pm. Going to the short game area and the bunker. Switched wedges Sunday and out of the bunker was not good.

If I am playing on my own I will spend about 20 minutes in bunkers around the course and throw golf balls around the green along with random partial wedges.

I do short game and greenside - I really need to work on fairway though I crushed an amazing hybrid out of a fairway bunker Sunday

I never used to spend a lot of time in the practice bunker, but it’s become a regular part of my Grandaddy prep...

I practice out of bunkers. Either greenside or 50yd and in shots. Fairway bunkers I’m hit or miss depending on how compact or fluffy the sand is. Overall I like to think I have decent bunker play and never get down if hit into one around the green.

I need to fill a kiddie pool with sand, rent a compactor, and pound it flat for a while. Then I'll have the perfect practice area for hitting out of what passes for bunkers around me. Not sure I have the right bounce/loft combo for hitting off cement.

I do just about every time I go to the range. I practice short, mid, and long shots.

I still do everything I can to avoid bunkers on the course though.

Back