Does anyone putt looking at the hole?

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Obviously, Spieth does this whenever it feels right mostly on his shorter putts. I'm putting this way on all of my putts outside of 8 feet and my lag putting is better than it's been in 25 years. It took me a few weeks of practice to get the distance right but it really does help me focus on the distance which often is more important than direction on my putts over 25 feet.

Have tried it briefly, like I'm sure most have after seeing Spieth's success, but have not dedicated the time and practice to see if it would really benefit me.

Did it for everything last year and putted so so. Don't think I really played enough to give it a fair shake. Went away from it this year and putted pretty well for a mid cap. May be something I look into for next year, or over the winter months.

I'm up to try anything since my putting has been so bad lately.

I have tried it a couple times but I have a tendency to hit it too hard. I like to look at the hole while doing my practice strokes, then get that in my mind but I look at the ball when actually putting.

I have tried it a couple times but I have a tendency to hit it too hard. I like to look at the hole while doing my practice strokes, then get that in my mind but I look at the ball when actually putting.

The highlighted is me as well to a degree, I often look at the hole and the line I want to start the ball on whilst doing my practice stroke

I have never tried actually putting whilst looking at the hole

I've tried it but can't get comfortable doing it. It would help putting if I could get over the mental issues!

I’ve tried it before with mixed success, but haven’t put in enough time with it to really give it a chance.

I do this when I'm on the practice green trying to get the speeds down sometimes. Used to do it more on the course when I struggled with distance control. Now I still do look at the hole on putts, but only on short putts where I'm trying to jam the back of the hole and take the break out of it. When I do, I'm usually staring at the back center of the cup where I want the ball to hit on it's way down into the hole.

I will do it quite often on short putts inside 6' it seems to keep me quiet over the ball and I have to trust I have the putter lined up, I sometimes question myself at the last second and of course tend to miss more then make with indecision.

I have the hole in my peripheral vision when ever I can but it is something I really have never thought about much and really have no clue what I should be doing with my eyes.

No - I take the Seve approach - stare at target, glance at ball, stare at target, glance to get eyes still, pull trigger. Sort of like Spieth except I don't look at the hole. I think all of the fidgeting that Spieth does is meant to keep him moving and athletic - because as soon as you stop moving and as soon as you are ball bound, you are dead meat.

So - look hard, stare down the target, glance at ball. I've improved my putting. And I'm doing it for all shots, which have improved on the range. That ball bound stuff - standing over it and looking at it - is a swing killer.

I tried it years ago and just never got use to it. Now it's a thing lol!

I just started this a couple months back with great success. My judging of distances I feel is much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope but I think Gunner does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, never done it. MIght work for some people, but I think I am pretty good at it conventional.

I do it on longer putts and have found success in speed control and getting it to the hole. Less chance for me to decelerate on a putt that needs a good whack.

Back