2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. I think there are a whole lot of athletes that would disagree with that thought, right?
Why are runners so thin? Wouldnt their body get used to the exertion?

I've seen it suggested one of the body's adaptations to distance running is to drop weight to make running easier.

Genetics play a huge role, but you know as well as many, just being around professional athletes, that their diets are on point. Right down to the very last calorie, for many.

I think the idea that our body gets used to exertion pertains to the idea that to lose weight or get healthier, activity levels and diets have to be considered.

Diet will always play the larger role. By a huge margin. However I dont buy that the body just automatically adapts to physical activities and more needs to be done. Surely it can, but like many trainers, selling before thinking comes first a lot.

T2G is very active, and a small change in diet would do dramatic things. He is already in great shape and looked to be in the best I had seen him in at Legacy.

Diet will always play the larger role. By a huge margin. However I dont buy that the body just automatically adapts to physical activities and more needs to be done. Surely it can, but like many trainers, selling before thinking comes first a lot.

T2G is very active, and a small change in diet would do dramatic things. He is already in great shape and looked to be in the best I had seen him in at Legacy.

I do agree with everything here. I think that trainer, just taking a guess, is implying that eating at a caloric surplus with a consistent activity level, your body will learn just how many calories it needs to burn and store the rest.

I also agree, many trainers have to sell. They need to explain why you need to spend 3 hours a week with them at $150 and hour.

Im ready to get rid of the skinny fat kid look.

This is a great description and one that accurately described me. I Dropped about 25 lbs over the last 3 months strictly through eating whole foods and giving up the beer. The nutrition was the easier part and although I craved french fries frequently, I was never really hungry. Now that I have gotten to a weight I feel comfortable with, I am ready to start shaping it or, creating a more 'athletic build'. At present I am just so happy that I feel great. I honestly do. I wake up before my alarm and have energy throughout the day. My mood is lighter and my outlook is much brighter. I truly had no idea the trans-formative effect that I was in for.

My path may not be for everyone but it is proof that switching out some bad habits for some good ones can create significant change.

Hmmm. I think there are a whole lot of athletes that would disagree with that thought, right?
Why are runners so thin? Wouldnt their body get used to the exertion?

I know, I was a little taken aback by the statement. But settled on he was a little over zealous, and energetic.

Happy for you dude. Looking forward to going down this journey with everybody.

Last night was an absolute cheat meal night - we were going to a concert, and went to a brewery beforehand, had a bunch of beer and appetizers.

But what I've been able to do lately that I REALLY got off track with and didn't do (and it culminated in Savannah when I was at my heaviest I've been in years) is get right back to healthy eating after a cheat. None of this "I'll go back on Monday" business. Yogurt and granola for breakfast, salad with chicken and olive oil/vinegar for lunch, and we're doing spaghetti squash for dinner.

One of the pairs of golf shorts that I wanted to bring down to GA with me that didn't fit are just a little tight now, so I'm headed in the right direction.

My personal vibe on the whole thing is that most people struggle because the use short term solutions to fix a long term problem, me included. As a result it's created a huge market of conflicting and contradictory diet plans, most of which do have similarities. After spending a lot of time over the last 6 years studying (but not applying effectively) the different plans I have come to some conclusions.

#1 a change needs to be a permanent change that is manageable and not oppressive
#2 slow and steady wins the race if you try to lose too fast it pits you in a caloric deficit that is not sustainable long term and Jack's around with your metabolism
#3 processed foods are the devil, that includes wheat products and refined sugar
#4 don't skimp on the fats.
#5 intermittent fasting works, finish eating by 9 at night no more calories till 1 next afternoon, 1st few days tough then you get used to it feels great
#6 cheat to treat once or twice a week, don't particular with a binge, but eat something you want
#7 drink tons of water!
#8 get spicy, eating healthy doesn't mean eating bland. A lot of Asian and middle eastern foods are symphonies of flavor and very healthy.

I couldn't agree more dude. Diet for me is crucial. I eat so poorly it's disgusting. When this thread popped this week. I didn't change a thing, but I wrote down everything that went into my mouth. I have to get that under control and fast.

This is a great description and one that accurately described me. I Dropped about 25 lbs over the last 3 months strictly through eating whole foods and giving up the beer. The nutrition was the easier part and although I craved french fries frequently, I was never really hungry. Now that I have gotten to a weight I feel comfortable with, I am ready to start shaping it or, creating a more 'athletic build'. At present I am just so happy that I feel great. I honestly do. I wake up before my alarm and have energy throughout the day. My mood is lighter and my outlook is much brighter. I truly had no idea the trans-formative effect that I was in for.

My path may not be for everyone but it is proof that switching out some bad habits for some good ones can create significant change.

I dropped 25lbs between last march and April of this year and felt a lot better. Got sidetracked the last wise real months and put on almost 10 lbs. I don't have a weight number I want to be at because I may not reach it with weight training so my focus is on reducing body fat to around 10% or less if possible and strength/weight training.

Last night was an absolute cheat meal night - we were going to a concert, and went to a brewery beforehand, had a bunch of beer and appetizers.

But what I've been able to do lately that I REALLY got off track with and didn't do (and it culminated in Savannah when I was at my heaviest I've been in years) is get right back to healthy eating after a cheat. None of this "I'll go back on Monday" business. Yogurt and granola for breakfast, salad with chicken and olive oil/vinegar for lunch, and we're doing spaghetti squash for dinner.

One of the pairs of golf shorts that I wanted to bring down to GA with me that didn't fit are just a little tight now, so I'm headed in the right direction.

This is the right attitude! Cheat meals are fine and in my opinion necessary to keep you sane. It's the cheat weeks that lead to regression. The good thing is when you eat clean most of the time, the cheat stuff makes you feel like crap and makes you WANT to eat better. And your metabolism is better equipped to burn off the garbage as fuel instead of storing fat.

I dropped 25lbs between last march and April of this year and felt a lot better. Got sidetracked the last wise real months and put on almost 10 lbs. I don't have a weight number I want to be at because I may not reach it with weight training so my focus is on reducing body fat to around 10% or less if possible and strength/weight training.

try not to focus too much on weight because it can be misleading. When your clothes start fitting better, then you're making progress.

My personal vibe on the whole thing is that most people struggle because the use short term solutions to fix a long term problem, me included. As a result it's created a huge market of conflicting and contradictory diet plans, most of which do have similarities. After spending a lot of time over the last 6 years studying (but not applying effectively) the different plans I have come to some conclusions.

#1 a change needs to be a permanent change that is manageable and not oppressive
#2 slow and steady wins the race if you try to lose too fast it pits you in a caloric deficit that is not sustainable long term and Jack's around with your metabolism
#3 processed foods are the devil, that includes wheat products and refined sugar
#4 don't skimp on the fats.
#5 intermittent fasting works, finish eating by 9 at night no more calories till 1 next afternoon, 1st few days tough then you get used to it feels great
#6 cheat to treat once or twice a week, don't particular with a binge, but eat something you want
#7 drink tons of water!
#8 get spicy, eating healthy doesn't mean eating bland. A lot of Asian and middle eastern foods are symphonies of flavor and very healthy.

Thus is guy gets it. That's what I was trying to say in my original post. You explained it better.

I don't mean to come off rude, and I apologize in advance if I do, but I am pretty sure EVERYONE knows that change needs to be permanent and not temporary. Everyone knows that crash dieting doesn't work and the second you fall off the wagon it's a downward spiral into unhealthy eating oblivion.

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't turn into people preaching their point of view, but rather simply sharing what has worked for them, and if asked a question about how it worked for you then you answer it.

The last thing someone needs in a thread like this is to hear someone preach to them that what hey are doing is wrong because their way is right. That certainly won't encourage someone to stick with it. Opinions are always welcome, but remember not everyone will share yours, everyone's body is different.

I agree GG. There are a lot of people in this world though still yo-yoing. They do a crash diet for vacation or something lose some weight then get frustrated when the gain it back so they crash again.

I don't mean to come off rude, and I apologize in advance if I do, but I am pretty sure EVERYONE knows that change needs to be permanent and not temporary. Everyone knows that crash dieting doesn't work and the second you fall off the wagon it's a downward spiral into unhealthy eating oblivion.

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't turn into people preaching their point of view, but rather simply sharing what has worked for them, and if asked a question about how it worked for you then you answer it.

The last thing someone needs in a thread like this is to hear someone preach to them that what hey are doing is wrong because their way is right. That certainly won't encourage someone to stick with it. Opinions are always welcome, but remember not everyone will share yours, everyone's body is different.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I was just trying to help. Now I know better.

Found a fun recipe for Carmelized Vietnamese Shrimp that I am going to make soon. I will post if its any good. The marinade of fish sauce, brown sugar and red pepper flakes along with onion and garlic cooked hot looks and sounds great.

Full serving is half a pound of shrimp and runs at 9 points in my system I am doing. Pretty excited about it.

I made a creamy chicken pasta last night with onion, garlic and mushrooms and a roux that was fantastic. Single serving was 9 points and I barely finished it.

I made a creamy chicken pasta last night with onion, garlic and mushrooms and a roux that was fantastic. Single serving was 9 points and I barely finished it.

Awesome! Eating healthy can be tasty. Spices are your friend.

Awesome. What type of portion are we looking at? And what kind of pasta?
Im struggling to find a pasta that fits well, unless I get very very little of it.
The good news is that a solid red sauce is so low in points, I can splurge with some pasta and still be around 10.

Found a fun recipe for Carmelized Vietnamese Shrimp that I am going to make soon. I will post if its any good. The marinade of fish sauce, brown sugar and red pepper flakes along with onion and garlic cooked hot looks and sounds great.

Full serving is half a pound of shrimp and runs at 9 points in my system I am doing. Pretty excited about it.
That sounds awesome just don't look up how fish sauce is made!

Awesome. What type of portion are we looking at? And what kind of pasta?
Im struggling to find a pasta that fits well, unless I get very very little of it.
The good news is that a solid red sauce is so low in points, I can splurge with some pasta and still be around 10.

Orechiette. Serving size was 1 1/3 cups and had 2oz of chicken per serving. I'll have Nicole post the recipe later.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I was just trying to help. Now I know better.
You didn't offend anyone, and you are certainly welcome to your opinion on what worked. However, you were getting a little preachy about how everyone needs to do it because it's the end all he all of weight loss. You may not have meant it to come off that way, but that's what it started to sound like.

I just wanted to be proactive and stop any issues, disagreements or hurt feelings before it started.

Orechiette. Serving size was 1 1/3 cups and had 2oz of chicken per serving. I'll have Nicole post the recipe later.

Thats awesome. Tell her thanks. I absolutely love chicken pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back