Transfer PC Apps and Files to New Machine

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Long story short, In-Laws bought a new Windows tower and I need to transfer everything over to new machine, most importantly is Quickbooks and all settings and stored data. What's the best way to ensure easiest migration?

Could link them onto the same network and maybe drag it over?

Long story short, In-Laws bought a new Windows tower and I need to transfer everything over to new machine, most importantly is Quickbooks and all settings and stored data. What's the best way to ensure easiest migration?

If it is just data, use a USB drive and move it over with drag and drop. Quickbooks usually has a save and login setting I believe that will do it automatically. Although that may have been the previous version.

It's been a while, but I used EaseUS Todo Transfer successfully. From experience, before I started, I would buy an external drive big enough to hold the drive contents of the old PC, then use something free like ImgBurn to image it. I've also imaged to destination PC, but then, I've made about every mistake one can make with a PC.

Can I just dump the entire HD on an external drive and drag it over?

Any half decent piece of software will have a backup and restore function

So assuming this does as well, use that to back up the data to an external drive, install the software on the new machine and then restore

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Can I just dump the entire HD on an external drive and drag it over?

We just got the in laws a new desktop and that's exactly what we did. In terms of getting individual apps back up and running, it depends on the app. The big ones should have an import/export function - sometimes you can't just open a file.

Back