Reaction score
Handicap
1048dc00832d4f28a9fda0b8a2d70963.jpg

Ping tip
28df8c3a904e95e8c3918ee92a4bcd02.jpg

Shaft
7eeccdd152159ff216401517e8206d9b.jpg

Shaft

This is the second time in as many years that I have sheared a shaft from the tip. The first shaft was a Project X pXv 39 gram in stiff. Tonight it was a GD AD DI 6x. The pXv I did hit very toe side prior to sending the head downrange. The AD DI was pretty centered, but slightly on the toe. The shaft felt pretty whippy on the next shot, figured it was a bad swing. The swing that sent the head flying 70 yards downrange felt centered.

The pXv shaft was much more clearly sheared. It looked as if the head was twisted off. The AD DI looks like it was sheared and pulled at the same time. Neither shaft had hit the ground very fat, aside from brushing the turf slightly. My 3W hits the turf with much more force.

What could cause two shafts to shear like that? I’m assuming it must be a swing thing. My theory is I force the club through the hitting zone causing the toe to snap through and putting strain on the tip.

Was this a clean install (brand new shaft) or a pull you had tipped and installed?

Was this a clean install (brand new shaft) or a pull you had tipped and installed?

The pXv was new. The AD DI was a used shaft with the Ping tip already installed. One previous owner.

Had problems with my Taylormade irons a few years ago. I blame the ****** mats at the driving range I go to. That however looks like a factory defect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had problems with my Taylormade irons a few years ago. I blame the ****** mats at the driving range I go to. That however looks like a factory defect.

In some weird way, that would actually make me happy. Given that this has happened before to a different shaft, I'm more inclined to blame something I did. I'm sure the mats don't help, but I've been reading and it turns out I'm bad at taking care of my clubs. My clubs rarely leave my trunk. You never know when the opportunity to hit a few will present itself. With the heat/cool cycles and clubs banging around in the trunk I could do a better job there. The ground under the mats at the range this happened at is pretty lumpy. I've seen a head go flying down the range maybe 7-10 times in the past 2 years. I've never seen it happen at any other range, so maybe that's a red flag.

In some weird way, that would actually make me happy. Given that this has happened before to a different shaft, I'm more inclined to blame something I did. I'm sure the mats don't help, but I've been reading and it turns out I'm bad at taking care of my clubs. My clubs rarely leave my trunk. You never know when the opportunity to hit a few will present itself. With the heat/cool cycles and clubs banging around in the trunk I could do a better job there. The ground under the mats at the range this happened at is pretty lumpy. I've seen a head go flying down the range maybe 7-10 times in the past 2 years. I've never seen it happen at any other range, so maybe that's a red flag.

Lumps under the mat?? Damn. Ya here it’s a concrete slap with the mats on top. But they are old and worn. They have upgraded a couple mats with a nice thick underlay. Maybe it will help. Keep swinging! Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back