Bubba's Volvik Contract was not renewed

kurtle

Reaction score
Handicap
Bubba is no longer playing a Volvik ball. I thought that last year he has a lengthy contract and bought a small part of the company but I guess I was wrong. Is this a huge hit to Volvik? I know they are trying to break into the ball game (like everyone else) with bright colors and sponsoring the long drive competition but when one of the Tour's top players (was a top player) switches balls and has a rough year, does that hurt that company? Or are they just banking on the Long Drive Competitions? I've never played them, I'm curious how they play but not sure.

He was good opportunity to get their ball seen on TV but just doesn't move the needle anymore. Hoping they can get someone that consistently makes the weekend (and is covered) into their product.

I didn't love any of their products I tried. I also was suspicious that Bubba's nose dive corresponded to the ball change...made me wonder if Bubba would drop them.

For a fringe brand, its a huge hit. They recently lost one of their key marketing people as well.

I think when looking in the marsh or the woods for my golf ball I came across 4 or 5 of these tops this year. I've seen more Pinnacle and Top Flights. Never really read about the golf ball or what the benefits are.

I mostly play golfballs I find on the course, but the last ones I actually paid money for were Volvik Vivids. Pretty long off the tee for me and good spin on wedge shots. These are for moderate swing speeds, I believe, but honestly I haven't researched much about them. I just found a couple and liked playing them.

I don't know if they do well enough over seas to stay afloat, but I can't see them lasting much longer in the US unless something changes. I have never heard anything about their balls except what color they are. There are now enough colored entries into the market that Volvik will have to compete on the qualities on the ball, not just what color they are.

Will this be a bigger hit or will Wilson’s new matte finish balls end up being the bigger hit in the long run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was good opportunity to get their ball seen on TV but just doesn't move the needle anymore.

i think if he was able to play well with the ball and make more waves, he would have moved the needle. but his performance suffered since switching, perhaps because of the switch, so he fell off most people's radar.

Will this be a bigger hit or will Wilson’s new matte finish balls end up being the bigger hit in the long run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both things combined will pretty much eliminate them as a discussion point in the US market.

i think if he was able to play well with the ball and make more waves, he would have moved the needle. but his performance suffered since switching, perhaps because of the switch, so he fell off most people's radar.

I agree, I think he is still in the top 10 or so of guys who can move the needle if he is playing well. But he played awful all year, no way that helped them out at all.

I've purchased a couple dozen Volvik VIVID balls (one red and one green). I have only played them a couple of rounds yet but my first impressions are that they are a little shorter than Bridgestone B330RX and Callaway Chrome Soft but more importantly to me is that they feel like mush when struck with my putter. I don't know if their other lines are similar but I'm a bit gun shy to try them because the VIVID's were the ball selected for me on their ball selector app. I guess for now I'll just hope to find one of the other options that someone else lost and try it that way.

I didn't love any of their products I tried. I also was suspicious that Bubba's nose dive corresponded to the ball change...made me wonder if Bubba would drop them.

I too was suspicious. Often having conversations about it with playing partners whilst teeing up a Vivid ball. Only time will tell.

I don't really suspect that the ball played a role in the nose dive. He was already in rapid decline when he made the switch to Volvik, right? Now, in Bubba's head - it was all the ball's fault. Period. And thats what Volvik should be worried about, especially if Bubba finds form again soon.

But then again, that's kind of why they shouldn't have signed him to begin with.

BTW, is it common for the golf channel commentators to specifically mention the brands whenever discussing a player using a club that they aren't contracted to play? They made it pretty well known that he was playing a Titleist ball now and not under contract. Seemed out of place to me for them to mention the brand specifically.

Did Bubba drop them or Volvik drop him?

Overheard a conversation at the shop that Ping would have to lock up the ProV's when Bubba visited to prevent him from hitting those instead of his Volviks.

BTW, is it common for the golf channel commentators to specifically mention the brands whenever discussing a player using a club that they aren't contracted to play? They made it pretty well known that he was playing a Titleist ball now and not under contract. Seemed out of place to me for them to mention the brand specifically.

I was wondering how many people outside of us hardcore people know he was playing Volvik. Everyone knew he had a bad year but I'd be curious to know how many people knew that he was playing a different type of ball outside of the colors he used. If Tiger and Rory couldn't sell Nike clubs, did Bubba ever really sell any more Volvik balls?

Volvik with Bubba and pink actually made a lot of marketing sense for both parties. Had Bubba been playing to form, he'd have been on TV banging a pink ball down the fairway. It would have been good for Bubba and good for Volvik -- a true win/win.

Bubba's been struggling and that has nothing to do with the ball. There's simply not that much difference in the tour quality balls. Volvik didn't hand him a 2 piece (which I'd have actually preferred).

I think Volvik is in trouble in the US market between the Duo and the Maxfli. I've also heard rumors of something from Callaway.

If bubba has won while playing the ball he would have stayed with them. If he wins in 2018 with a different ball, that will be a big blow.

Don't know who dropped who, but it doesn't really matter.

Something didn't work, and it's best for both to move on ... and Volvik to play the LPGA.

Wonder what the long drive guys think of them. They are the major Sponser for the long drive competition

Bubba is 39 in a couple days and is experiencing the same common drop off that NFL running backs have at age 30. Not many tournaments or especially majors have been won by guys At his age.

I've been playing these for the past month - I'm a big fan. For whatever reason they are longer and straighter for me than any other ball I've tried.

So does Wilson make a push to get Bubba in the new Duo line and hitting a colored ball again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So does Wilson make a push to get Bubba in the new Duo line and hitting a colored ball again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I cant see Bubba using a Duo , way to mushy and no spin,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I would like to see a tournament where all the players have to play the same ball like a Top Flite XL and see how they do.

Back