Tour Course vs Major Course

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A little poll we are doing on social media, I thought would be a fun conversation on THP.

I replied on twitter, I say no. You might be able to make a case for the PGA, but The Masters, US Open and Open Championships dont need to be messed with.

Yes. Pebble, Qual Hollow, Bethpage Black, etc. I like seeing them as often as possible. I've wish courses like Winged Foot and Oakmont were yearly stops too. Just to name a few.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Yes, but only if they do what Quail Hollow did. Move the tournament in a year they course hosts a major.

Yes. I see zero reason why you can’t.

I say Yes for all majors except the Masters. It is always at Augusta but the others change courses every year.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I say no just so we can see some new courses!

I voted No, however, I'd make and exception for Pebble Beach.

Yes, but only if they do what Quail Hollow did. Move the tournament in a year they course hosts a major.

I agree with this...I don't want to see two tournaments a year on the same course, but I think the US Open absolutely has a place at Pebble, Torrey, or Bethpage.

Having been to Quail Hollow many times for the Wells Fargo Tournament and then going to the PGA I cant express how much different it was and how much harder it looked. And also how much more the beer cost but that's another thread.

As long as they make the setup significantly harder and or longer than the regular event I don't care much either way. I am not sure there any regular stops I would want to have a major that hasn't had one yet.

I'm with Fup. I don't mind it, but I like the idea of not holding a non-major tournament at the same venue in the same year it hosts a major.

I think unequivocally saying no would mean that some really top notch venues -- Pebble is the obvious example -- would either have to bow out of future majors or stop hosting yearly tournaments, and I don't think either result would be a good one.

I say yes, but only a few courses would qualify. I do wish more of the major courses became tour stops.

I voted no. I think playing on non-regular tracks would present more challenges to the field.

I am not a big fan of Pebble being in the US Open rota

I voted no on this. I want to see Majors on courses that aren't in the regular rotation for yearly events. Just makes them more special when they are held there.

Add me to the no group, love having the majors at other courses we don't normally get to see.

I’m generally of the mindset that I only want the elite courses to host majors. Most tour courses are pretty spare in my opinion. Can’t say that there are many I’d really care to play again. I’ll differ on Pebble however, that is in rarified air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flat out... No! Should not do it... major should be unique

No I want a major to feel special and unique. If it's on a course in regular rotation it no longer has that feeling.

Yes, and they have been for a long time. My favorite is Pebble Beach for the U.S. Open.

I say yes to all but of course the Master's.

Sure I don’t mind - great courses are great course and I don’t mind them being toughened up for a major

Back