Love my Jumbo Odyssey Putter grip BUT

Condorll

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
Love the Jumbo Odyssey grip, keeps my hands steady BUT I noticed the putter head now feels too light.
I liked the original putter head weight, so I investigated the weight of the grips and it seems the off the shelf odyssey putters have a regular size 70g grip whereas the jumbo weighs 129 g. Anybody know how much lead tape it will take on the putter head to restore the original swing weight? I hope it's not 59 g.

Deleted because: utter nonsense

Last edited:

Sorry, What I had written was utter nonsense.
59g in the head is massive for swing weight in a relatively short shafted putter.
E.g. My Scotty is sold in different shaft lengths, 33" has 2x10g weights in the head, 34" has 2x15g and 35" has 2x20g, just to keep swing weight constant. A steel shaft weighs just about 3g/inch, so in this case adding 1" or 3g at the butt requires adding 10g at the head. The math says, you'd have to put 3x59=177g into the head/shaft. IF the shaft got longer in that special case. So in your case, it would be less but not very much less.
I read somewhere, that one fellow filled the shaft with sand up to the top, about 90g.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hi George, I added about 15-20 grams to the head and the head balance seems to be more stable now. If I have problems putting next time out I am going to change out that grip for a lightweight (50-65g) jumbo. Honestly I don't know what Odyssey was thinking releasing a replacement jumbo grip weighing 129 grams to market.

Maybe Oyssey jumped on the counterbalance train with that grip. Superstroke sells 50g weights for the grip. I changed my Scotty Pistol grip to a Fatso 5.0, BUT I hold the putter at the low end of the grip. So I get kind of a counter balance with the 3" above my hands. Feels better that way. From time to time I think of putting different weights in the head or cutting it down to 31 or 32" but you know...
Putter feel has nothing to do with calculating swingweight. It's just what your hands think is best.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

What if you use a Jumbo Lite grip? A lot of times they weigh less than standard grips (at least the ones I have had in the past weighed less).

Ive heard of people pouring lead down the shaft and setting it in place with a cork to make the end of the putter feel heavier

Back