How has your fitted “spec” changed with your game?

SouthernShred

'16 Grandaddy Champ - Team Unity
Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking today about my own swing evolution and resulting equipment spec over the years and I was curious how yours has changed.

For example, has an improvement in your posture or stance changes your lie or length specs. Has a decrease in swing speed changed your shaft flex? Has your angle of attack on your wedges or even technique resulted in a change in bounce/grind?

What has changed about your specs with changes in your swing?

Interesting question. I have always been R flex and 2 degrees flat. I recently came into some Bridgestone J15CB irons that are all standard lie angle with KBS V110 S flex. I hit the ball just as far and don't lose nearly as many iron shots to the right. Might just be a mental thing I don't know. I have been working really hard on coming into the ball from the inside though so that may have an effect on my current shot shape and give a little more speed through the ball.

Whatever it is I'll take it :D

JM

I went yesterday to hit and find a suitable shaft for me with the new Callaway X-Forged. I have been playing R-flex for a few years now after back injury/surgery. The fitter at Golftec suggested a lighter mid-kick S Flex. After seeing the results I could not argue with it. I got the new sticks coming in S Flex.

I’ve been standard length, 2 degrees flat, and mostly DG X100 since 1981. I was fitted into a KBS Tour V110 S+ in my Wilson Staff irons in 2013 but switching back to DG X100’s last year was the right thing. I’ve played mostly x flex Aldila NV, Tour Green, or Rogue 70 I/O shafts in my wood the last decade with brief experiments with several other shafts such a HZRDUS Black and GD Tour AD DI7.

I lost about 5 mph’s of swing speed since my 20’s but the new technology has kept my average ball speed pretty constant for 3 decades.

This thread will be interesting to me. I’ve only had one fitting, and that was after I’d only ever played about four rounds of golf. I held off on buying anything on the advice of the fitter, as he said my swing would change quickly that early in my golfing life. I’m currently looking at new irons, and plan to get fit again. I’ll be interested to see how things compare to my previous fitting.

I have been to the Ping factory three times and fitted at courses and golf shops for a total of a dozen times. I always end up with standard off the shelf clubs with regular shafts except for this year. I bought a set of AP1 irons with graphite shafts because of a bad shoulder. They feel great! Being almost 65 at this writing, my body just is not what it use to be so whatever it takes to keep going.

With the exception of my first few months of playing/learning the golf swing, it really hasn’t. I’ve been fit 7 times in 4 years and am consistently fit for the stiffest, heaviest shafts I can get (PX 7.0/TT X7). I tried going to PX LZ 6.5’s after my most recent fitting to gain some ball speed, but definitely lost some consistency/accuracy over my prior X7’s.

So at this point I think it’s about optimizing Head/Shaft combos. I play my MP-5’s at 2* strong to get the launch, spin, and peak height under control (~100 mph club head speed even with a PW). I plan to try the Srixon Z75’s next for a little alleged forgiveness, but with X100 or X7’s for control. Then adjust lofts as necessary for launch/spin/peak height.

Absolutely. My current swing changes have led to a lot of shifts in specs, and some which I haven't finished, yet, I'm sure. I've moved to a steeper swing (versus my crazy shallow swing, prior). So, my irons are much more upright, now, and my divots are truly divots, versus just nipping the grass with the shallow swing. Another positive from this change is the increased spin I'm seeing hitting shots into the green.

It's also wreaked havoc on my driver and long fairway wood game, as the steeper swing thoughts have crept in there as well, which has introduced a lot more spin than my former driver swing. With that, I've also found that going to a stiffer and heavier driver shaft may reap some rewards with helping to drop the spin a bit, along with going back to a lower-sping driver head.

After taking lessons my posture, attack angle, lie went to +2, extra 1/4 in length. I believe you should get your specs checked every so often as they change. I believe, as a true amature, that getting fitted is the ONLY way to buy new clubs as it makes a big difference.

Biggest change would be needing a flatter lie angle.

I've changed a lot over the years with all the clubs, but mostly with the driver and putter.
My putter lie used to be closer to 68 or 69* with a massive forward press requiring 4-5 degrees of loft. Now it is 73* with a lie of 3*.

My driver used to be 14* with a super tip soft shaft just to be able to attain a launch around 8-9 degrees. Don't ask lol. Now I play my driver at 12* with shafts that are stiffer in the tip section (been playing Hzrdus Black for the last couple years) and I get a launch angle of 13-14 degrees. I still don't spin the ball too much without trying to.

My lie angle has reminded constant, but my fitted shaft has changed a few times. Mostly moving to stiffer and lower launching.

Back